Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a K&N Typhoon SRI in my Element for quite some time now, but the filter always seems to look dirty. I can barely see any red and it usually has black coating. I clean it 2-3 times a year since it said that it doesn't need to be cleaned that often. By clean it I use the recharger kit and follwing the cleaning and aerosol directions throughly. Should I be doing something differently? Or is this normal?

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
Well a few things here...

1. This is an external filter (aka cold air, etc.)? If you're driving around with a filter hanging out in the open, with not even some piping to settle the dust, it's gonna get dirty on the outside pretty quick.

2. How long are you letting it dry between the wash and re-oil and between the re-oil and re-installation? I've found this can make a HUGE difference in the amount of buildup on the filter.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
874 Posts
you might want to see if they make a pree filter (a very breathable nylon or something bag that goes over the filter,I have them on my bug& the k&n's stay very clean Espeailaly since the carb's are right at the rear tires.)

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't remember exactly about the dry period, but I follow the recharge instructions exactly. I will look into the pre filter. I don't think one of those heat shields would really help though.

·
Registered
143 Posts
just b/c it looks dirty doesn't mean it isn't flowing well. You are actually cleaning it so often you risk damaging your engine IMO. As a K&N gets dirty, it filters better, and flows worse over time. A clean K&N only has about 90% filter efficiency! Clean it once a year, and don't obsess over it looking clean is my advice.

·
Registered
874 Posts
yes the more you clean a k&n gause typ filter the worse it flows over time.ie.each time you clean it it wont flow as good as the time before when you cleaned it. thats why the old cheepy $3-4.00 kmart/wally world are a good choice for race cars that dont see any watteror dirt. toss them every 2-3 months. I could not see $80+ for filters for my old carwith 2x4 tunnel ram.& after about 3- 4 washings they will never flow as much as a NEW paper filter.over oiling also cuts down on flow. I started wd40 spraying my last set of k&n on my bug 4 years ago with pree filters on them they look great,dont get dirty,flow fine.easy to wash.& preefilters can be washed any time you want quickley!!& your ready to go!!mine are made by "outerwares" they should not be hard to find on line they were about $12. each I think, & have been in use on my bug for 4 years now, right at the rear tires,no inner fenders,no hood.A great investment.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info guys. So from what I have read the fact that it looks dirty is actually a good thing right? It is filtering better which is better for the engine anyways. I don't care that it doesn't look clean, I just wanted to make sure that what I am experiencing is normal. I should clean it about once a year right?

·
Registered
874 Posts
pretty much, unless you can see gobbs hanging off of it,I have seen many k&n filters trashed by using tomuch watter persure blowing out the cotton when cleaning or rinsing and or using an air hose to blow dry filter. If you can see a hole where the cotton is gone it's dead get a new one. I would go for the synthetic dry type next time I need one.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
whoa...where can i get the sythetic dry type?! I just need to replace the filter on my typhoon intake and that sounds awesome! Can I get it at an auto store or do I have to order it direct?

·
Registered
143 Posts
search for AEM dryflow, they are the best filter on the market. They should sell a universal size that can mount to your pipe, just figure out what size it is. Advance auto actually carries them if I'm not mistaken. Thats how I made my intake. I go about 30k miles between cleanings on mine and haven't had a problem or any degradation in performance.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will figure out my pipe size. If I know what series I got from K&N would that be enough info or do I need to measure the diameter of my pipe? Also these dry flo ones last just as long as the oil ones right?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1 - 14 of 14 Posts