Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Ex Element. I installed an Injen exhaust on it almost right away after buying the car. The Injen exhaust didn't really make a difference in horsepower, but did make a difference in MPG. It also changed the exhaust noise from the stock "hiss" near passenger seat floor, to a performance type "growl" near the back of the car. However, this growl sometimes got loud in the 2800 rpm range. Recently, I installed a K/N air filter and, WOW, the exhaust got much quieter and I've noticed that the Element idles at a lower rpm - like 600 instead of 850 or so.

Am I insane, or can an air filter make the injen exhaust quieter and the engine to idle slower?

·
Registered
225 Posts
hmmm... it got quieter? I put in a k&n filter on mine, i noticed no sound difference in my aftermarket exhaust. but i guess it is possible.

·
Registered
205 Posts
That sucks, is the gain that minimal with an injen exhaust? Then it's sole purpose is sound? bleh, <---someone explain some technical info!!!!

·
Registered
188 Posts
less restriction on the intake will change the motor sound , not the exhaust note , as like a trumpet / the gasses exit the motor at a predictable rate , and exit the tailpipe subject to the resonance in the system , anyone take the intake filter housing off a chev 350 and listen to the carb suck air then rev the motor , that is extreme example of stock air system to K&N system , the air noise entering the motor is more noticeable .. :smile:

·
Registered
288 Posts
I just put a K&N air filter in my E. I've noticed that the RPM's are lower. Haven't driven it much yet with the filter. Will keep ya'll posted on performance and mpg.

I also have an Injen exhaust coming. Am very curious how that will change my performance. But, to be honest about it, I'm really wanting a, how should I put it, a less 4 cylinder phtttt sound!

·
Registered
288 Posts
I don't have my Injen exhaust, yet. But, I did put a K&N air filter on and I notice the acceleration is smoother with the filter. I'm presuming that's because the rpm's are lower. I thought the gas pedal was a little abrupt from a stop before.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After driving my E with the K&N filter and the Injen exhaust for a while now, I realized that the "quieter" exhaust sound is really just lower RPMs in general after the K&N filter went in. I'm also noticing more "peppiness" - maybe a 10-15% increase in performance. Although I didn't notice a huge difference with the Injen exhaust alone, definitely the combination of the two is a winning, relatively inexpensive, and easy mod.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts