Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
447 Posts
I used a K&N on a couple cars about 10 years ago. Here's why I stopped: One day I had the intake tube off and found oily fine grit on the inside of the tube. Same for the leading edges of the throttle plate. Evidently the oil was shedding off the filter, and enough dirt was getting thorough the filter that it was depositing on the items downstream of the filter. Any boost in performance certainly isn't worth shortening the life of my engine and intake sensors.

· Registered
447 Posts
The oil filter was on a 95 Integra GS-R. I noticed the dirty film after only two months... I never had the chance to clean and oil it, nor did I on the car before it, in which I never checked the intake plumbing.

If it was incorrectly oiled, it was at the factory.

I had a friend with a previous generation Integra. He had an interesting setup where he put his K&N on near the fender, but retained the stock box. I talked him into running a new cheapie fram filter in the stock box for a month over the winter (in payment of adjusting his valves for free). When we took it out it was surprisingly dirty, and looked a little pink. That was it for me and K&N!

[quote:c75bfaa922="sspiller"]Interesting observations, K&N claims that if you get any oily grit down stream from the filter it was incorrectly oiled (which is a common problem). Their data supports better airflow and equal or better dirt filtering properties then stock paper filters... I guess it is one of those preference things.[/quote:c75bfaa922]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.