Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as my E approaches 100k miles I still love it, I've had it since brand new and have never grown tired of it. I needed a new exhaust recently so decided to go with the Injen to spice things up a bit. It really changes the personality of my Element, gives it a little kick and yes it is louder. I installed some GT Mat sound deadening in the rear spare tire well and deck and that cut down on a significant amount of exhaust noise. I was concerned about outside noise and waking up the neighbors but it's not bad at all. The inside noise is kind of a low end drone, not harsh ricer like at all. I'm contemplating installing a Vibrant ultra quiet resonator on the Injen. I continued to perk up the E with a K&N short ram intake. The installation was really easy the hardest part is getting the old OEM airbox and resonator out. The blue version is about 30 bucks cheaper than the polished version and I do like the color contrast to the SOP in the engine compartment. It's really amazing the space left behind and the size of the new intake compared to all the old plastic stuff. The K&N adds some sound too but it is more on demand. Normal un-spirited driving and the noise is barely noticeable but if you stomp on it you can get a nice growl of engine noise. (The K&N site has a side by side video of an Accord that gives an example of the sound difference: http://www.knfilters.com/video/69-1211TTK_Install.html) I prefer the intake noise to the exhaust noise and there are moments when driving that things seem to hit a particular resonant frequency and it can get a little loud. But most of the time I have been enjoying the new noises. In an unscientifically accurate, couple of fill ups MPG calculation I've been getting 2-3mpg better than before the installations. The E does seem perkier too. It's never been a rocket off the line but I can feel a difference in power, especially on the highway. If anyone has ever driven in CT, the Merritt Parkway has notoriously short entrance ramps and I can feel a big difference when merging. Between about 50 and 70mph you just have more confidence in passing and acceleration and cruising. At about 75mph you still feel like you have a lot of throttle left. So overall I am very happy with my changes, my Element has some new life and character to it and I'm looking forward to my next 100k miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Nice job laying all that deadner in the spare tire well and cover. I also have that K&N Typhoon S.R.I. on my Element, I installed mine years ago and I still really like it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I like the new engine sound in the vid!! Sounds a lot meaner!! I'm sold!! Gotta go get one now!

I have a 2007 E, It looks like K&N stopped these kits at 2006...is there a difference between 06 and 07 under the hood?

·
Registered
94 Posts
It looks like K&N stopped these kits at 2006...is there a difference between 06 and 07 under the hood?
Model years 2003 - 2006 does not have a MAF (mass air flow) sensor.

For 2007 and newer, you'd have to re-install the MAF sensor to your aftermarket air intake. I believe Injen and AEM sell intakes with provisions for MAF sensor, for your model year.

·
Registered
31 Posts
TimD I have a few questions for you. First after putting the cold air intake and the exhaust on your E did you have to tune the car in any way or did the computer auto adjust to give the engine the correct amount of fuel needed for the upgrades? Also what mil GT mat did you use on your E and was it worth it? Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Model years 2003 - 2006 does not have a MAF (mass air flow) sensor.

For 2007 and newer, you'd have to re-install the MAF sensor to your aftermarket air intake. I believe Injen and AEM sell intakes with provisions for MAF sensor, for your model year.
The 07+ maf throws CEL codes if only short intake, got to go full size like the Injen one

In addition, the biggest reason for slight changes is the move to drive by wire. Brings in a new throttle body, radiator setup, intake manifold (slight horsepower gained from this).

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
right, so this is an option for you also. Just do the hard ECU reset to let it re map once installed.

"run car to operating temp on level ground(important)turn off car.

remove the ecu(backup) fuse for 15min.

replace fuse and start car. dont touch anything gas etc let idle for 15min or untill idle smooths out.

shut car off and immediately turn key back to on position. this will save the new premaps. "

1 - 8 of 8 Posts