Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took delivery and later noticed that the dealer had left the Karr alarm module wired in behind the fuse panel. There's a lot of wires tapped along the left side above the footwell, as well as some in the main wire harness. Anyone know offhand if I can simply disconnect all of those, or is there one or two wires that I will need to splice. Pretty irritating that the dealer leaves this residue under the dash - if anything goes wrong it will just very much complicate troubleshooting. Since I live 300 miles away from original dealer, I can't just simply return it to the service center and say, remove this e-tumor please.

I tried to find Karr diagrams and such on the Inet, but they don't seem to be out there. I'm sure the bad guys know how to get around it quickly anyways, especially when the dealer left the stickers for Karr on both side windows!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
you wont find them anywhere on the net. i have searched for them myself trying to help a few people out. and they dont give installation manuals out since they are not a "retail" item, dealer installed only. all the wires should just be tapped in with exception of the starter wire under the steering column. that should be hooked to a large gauge black/white wire that is in the truck that was cut in half. this is the starter kill. reconnect the black/white wire back after un hooking all the others and you should be all set.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I haven't seen those installed for quite awhile but like yoda said just disconnect the wires going to the relay and splice the starter wire back together. Drives me nuts to see a new cars wiring cut up but they say it cuts down on their insurance. I got a 95 Ford Lightning new and the installer damn near cut the wires in half with the wire crimp connerctors.:x

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Removed the Karr alarm residue

...and the patient lives. Thanks for your help. I'm including some photos so folks searching around may be able to see what we're talking about.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
what are you doing with it now? i would like to play with it and see what if anything i could do to try and make my DIY remote starts work with them if you are just gonna chuck it or let it collect dust.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have the same one and you are welcome to it if you want it, I just uninstalled it. PM me and we will work out the details.

I used a Posi-Connect to splice the black/white wires back together, there was not a lot of slack left in the harness wires after removing the Karr wires from the black/white wire to do a solder butt splice and the Posi Connect made up the length perfectly. If I were to do it again I'd have just put a splice in the orange wires from the Karr that were connected to the black/white wire as the crimps for that connection were actually done with a good crimp tool by the alarm installer. I left the other half of the wire taps in place for now.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fished mine out of the trash

...and you are welcome to it, PM me - I'll send it to you no charge. I lost the screws holding the case together, and of course, I took no notes on what wires were attached to what. As previous poster said, the main two orange wires were attached to the ignition (black/white) wire, which was cut so one orange wire went to each end of the black/white one. Most of the small nylon connectors were tied into the wires leading to the green block connector (optional security alarm connector I think). Sorry, if I had thought anyone cared, I would have taken detailed notes of which wire was connected to which wire.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
did you get your truck here in fl? if so which dealership? i would love to get ahold of this thing and possibly the installer to actually get the install manual for one of these things. i have found some transposed stuff on colors and functions of wires but i really want something that is solid and from the manufacturer so when i am messing with it and trying to get it to do what i want it to do on the test bench i can be sure it is hooked up the same way as the ones installed by the dealships.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I bought the truck at Regal Honda in Lakeland but they got it from the dealer in Tampa and I took delivery the same day they got it from there so I'm certain Lakeland didn't install it. The window sticker from the factory says the car was delivered to Tampa Hondaland on Florida Ave 33612.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Thanks, both of you guys, for sending me those units. I got one this morning and one yesterday. hopefully i will be able to play around with them and figureout what needs to be done to get the DIY remote start to work in conjunction with them.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
If I would have seen this sooner, I could have sent you one too. We just pulled one out of an 08 Titan at work the other day...chucked it in the trash. It was a t-tapped clusterf$%k of an install.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
If I would have seen this sooner, I could have sent you one too. We just pulled one out of an 08 Titan at work the other day...chucked it in the trash. It was a t-tapped clusterf$%k of an install.
thanks for the offer greg. it is interesting looking at both of the ones these guys sent me and seeing how different they were installed. :grin: and the people at karr are the biggest pain in the butt to try to get anything from cause they "dont sell retail" and "have professional installers so they dont give out the install sheets." what a joke. they didnt even use the same wires on both of the ones that the guys sent me and they both came out of an element. so much for uniformity... im just glad these guys yanked them when they did and i would strongly encourage anyone else with one to do the same after seeing the actual makeup of the units themselves and the obvious lack of install training these guys that install them for the dealership have. karr=poopy :roll:

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
thanks for the offer greg. it is interesting looking at both of the ones these guys sent me and seeing how different they were installed. :grin: and the people at karr are the biggest pain in the butt to try to get anything from cause they "dont sell retail" and "have professional installers so they dont give out the install sheets." what a joke. they didnt even use the same wires on both of the ones that the guys sent me and they both came out of an element. so much for uniformity... im just glad these guys yanked them when they did and i would strongly encourage anyone else with one to do the same after seeing the actual makeup of the units themselves and the obvious lack of install training these guys that install them for the dealership have. karr=poopy :roll:
I think some combination of grey/blue, grey/red or grey/green were lock and unlock on the one we removed from the Titan. They were actually tied to the two wires that you add to the BCM to control factory alarm arm/disarm on the non smart key equipped trucks.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I was one of the people who sent mine to Yoda. Mine is the one with all the twisted/braided wires. Anyway, I've said it before, it looks like a pita to install up under that dash trying to get the right wire. There are a lot of connections and not a lot of room to work with.

Anyway, I'm just curious, how would someone make this thing functional? There is a little module that is attached to the end of one of the connectors that was mounted on the outside of the dash but there is no light or button on it. Would it just require changing that module out with different one? The KARR 4040A operating instructions available on the we talk about an LED, mine had no LED.

While it was installed in my car and now without there is no difference in the way the doors lock or what beeps - it seems to have been truly deactivated.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
as far as making it functional i will try to get what i can from how the wires are grouped together and put it on the test bench an send signals either power or ground to get it to arm and disarm. my main objective is to try to get it to let me add the remote start i sell to it without freaking out, but if i had it my way everyone would do what you guys did and trash it. you would have never really seen it do anything unless you were trying to set it off by locking the doors with the remote and leaving the windows down and sticking your hand in and unlocking it and then opening the door. it has a shock sensor but who knows how well that works.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts