Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel like I may have gotten the short end of the stick on this one.

First of all, I paid 600$ for this alarm, which, I've owned a dozen cars in the past and never paid that much for an alarm (including installation.)

But the kicker is that the dealership couldn't find another Key/Remote when they sold me my 03 EX.

So - who pays 600$ for an alarm and doesn't get AT THE VERY LEAST another remote? Do you think I have a chance of obtaining one? My fear is that if something happens to the one I have now, I won't be able to get into my car.

·
Registered
730 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
the thing is the alarm uses the factory keyless, but you should of complain and got another one.

I paid that and I was also kicking myself. the only reason i said yes was that it uses the factory keyless and it's under warranty.

not moments later after i left the dealership i remember my friend(worked at honda) say they buy these $50 alarms and charge an arm and a leg for it instead of using the oem ones.

on a side side note, when my sister bought her si. we made them throw it in.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does anyone know why the alarm engages while I'm sitting inside?

For example, I go to 7/11, get a Slurpee, and get in my car. There's a creepy guy walking up, so I lock the door. The next thing I know, my car alarm activates. I disable it over and over, and the damn thing won't turn off. So finally, I put the key in the ignition, and the alarm turns on, HORN blaring, like I'm a damn fool who set off my own alarm by accident.

WTF, is the sense in this? I'm still bitter as hell over this dumb thing. That, and you practically have to be next to the car to activate the alarm. It has the shortest range known to man.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I would contact the manufacturer. Explain the issues you are having with the installer of your remote and see if they will give you another remote.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts

For example, I go to 7/11, get a Slurpee, and get in my car. There's a creepy guy walking up, so I lock the door. The next thing I know, my car alarm activates. I disable it over and over, and the damn thing won't turn off. So finally, I put the key in the ignition, and the alarm turns on, HORN blaring, like I'm a damn fool who set off my own alarm by accident.

WTF, is the sense in this? I'm still bitter as hell over this dumb thing. That, and you practically have to be next to the car to activate the alarm. It has the shortest range known to man.
Probably triggers from the door locks.

So when you "arm it with the remote" when you are out of the car it "locks it" and vice versa ;)

·
Registered
3,242 Posts

It probably has to do with how the unit was originally programmed to arm. :? If you can access the manual for that unit, you should be able to find out how to change that setting. Until then if you're wanting to lock your vehicle with you in it, just insert your key and turn your ignition to the accessory position and then lock the doors. That should prevent it from rearming.

·
Registered
226 Posts
If this just happened I would return to the dealer and tell them to remove the alarm system and return your money. For that amount I got a Viper system from best buy and yes you get 2 remotes and a remote start. I would just tell them your not happy with it! It goes off on its own! ;-) Get your money back and teach these clowns a lesson. Heres the link to my post about the alarm I have. http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64499

Heres the link from Viper. http://www.viper.com/ShopViperProducts/ItemDetail.aspx?ItemCode=5702V

I got it for under $600 installed at best buy

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
good luck obtaining any information about the thing or programming from Karr. they will have you call another branch and they will have you call another and so on. they dont want anyone to have any info on them at all evcept the guys they pay pennys on the dollar to that put them in. I would agree with everyone else and have them take it out and give you your money back (good luck on that) or at least get something else from their parts department instead so they arent having to return money to you. that way you may actually get something rather than being told to pee up a rope. chalk it up to experience and tell everyone you know to stay away from those things.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts