Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about getting a kayak - we have a very tame surf beach nearby and dozens of calm lakes. I know tandem kayaks can be a nightmare - too heavy, etc. So I'm looking to get a small, lightweight sit-in job good for light surf ocean or lakes. Any suggestions?

Oh, and my husband tends to tag along so I'm thinking of getting two - does anyone know if the element kayak rack can be rigged to hold two small kayaks?

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
We have 2, 1 is a Pelican, really light, Mr. Jojo just throws it up the rack, with his ginormous, bulging, He man, muscles, ;-)

The other is an inflatable, folds up and you just toss it in the E.
If were traveling and want more room, we fold the inflatable up inside the Pelican.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
There are several threads on that. A quick search cam up with 10 threads.

This is just one of them.

Dom

·
Registered
65 Posts
kayak for two

Not all tandem kayaks are a " nightmare" heavy to load etc.

Our Kaskazi Duo ARX (tandem) kayak
http://www.iow24kayak.com/theboat.html
is 60-70 lbs, depending if you get the lighter fiberglass epoxy construction (like I have) or the heavier fiberglass polyester construction). It is 19 1/2 ft long and can be relatively easily loaded on our Honda Element rear the rear, using a Roller Loader and TPS rack. See the link to my 120 lb 5'4" wife loading it on the Element.
http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57725&highlight=kayak+rack
We took our Kaskazi Duo to the Florida Keys last month and it worked great launching off the beach and paddling in the ocean and bays around the Keys.
I am planning to mount a Kayaksailor sail rig to it next.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Get two kayaks, tandems are a pain in the butt, what if you want to go, and she doesn't then your riding too heavy in the back, or you want to go one way and she wants to go the other..or he she reverse...Yes you can get two kayaks on the Element, I have actually had 7 playboats stacked on top of each other on top of the Element, (7 mile ride to the lake).

Here is a picture with 2 kayaks

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
theres a reason why tandems are called divorce boats!!!!! if you were to get a tandem though, go with a excursion by prijon kayaks, a lil on the pricey side but it performs quite nicely, if youre going with the sit on top route go with a native 14.5 magic, you could change it to a solo or a tandem with literally a snap!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Kayak for two vs loading 2 kayaks

The people knocking tandems on this site have probably only owned or rented slow heavy plastic tandem kayaks, not used or even seen a high performance advanced construction composite tandem kayak, which are rare in the US.
The high performance light weight construction tandem kayaks like we own are fast , relatively light ( lighter than many plastic single kayaks), capable of launching out thru the surf, sailing, etc. plus much easier to load than loading and tying down two plastic kayaks on the ELement.
I've posted some links to our Kaskazi Duo ARX tandem kayaks below
We also own several plastic kayaks such as 2 RTM Discos, a RT Tempo, Cobra Expedition, and from my experience over the years, I would much rather load my one Kaskazi tandem kayak on the Element than load and tie down two plastic single kayaks, plus the gas mileage of driving two kayaks on a long trip is worse is worse for 2 vs one kayak. I drove from Daytona Beach to Big Pine Key in the Florida Keys and back and got 37 mpg with my Kaskazi tandem on the roof. The mpg is worse when I drive with two single kayaks on the roof of my VW Jetta diesel wagon . The Elment has lousy gas mileage so the differential may not be as great.

my wife loading our red Kaskazi Duo tandem on our Element

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57725&highlight=Joebh

Our aqua Kaskazi Duo tandem kayak at Bahia Honda in FLorida Keys
It handled great in the ocean and in the back country

http://www.kayakfishinghole.com/community/showthread.php?t=1822&page=2&highlight=Joebh

Our aqua Kaskazi Duo tandem with a Kayak sailor sail rig

http://www.kayakfishinghole.com/community/showthread.php?t=1188&highlight=Joebh

the photo of a white kayak is my Kaskazi Pelican

Both Kaskazi Duo tandem kayaks are fiberglass epoxy layup and self bailing but have spray decks also. They are 19 1/2 feet long with 26 inch beam weigh around 64 pounds and are great handling in the ocean.

I have also posted on the EOC site photos of us camping with a Sportz tent off the back with the red tandem kayak on the roof

I do agree most longer plastic tandem kayaks I have rented are back breakers and a dog to paddle but high performance light weight construction tandems are not.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
lTandem kayak vs two singles

two side view photos of our Kaskazi tandem kayaks on the Element and VW Jetta wagon. I prefer to load one of these tandem kayaks than loading two of my plastic kayaks, plus we cover more distance when paddling with them vs using two single kayaks.

Attachments

·
Registered
366 Posts
We have two Pygmy kayaks, my 17' 5" Coho and my wife's 15' 8" Osprey. They fit well on the E and travel well. We have the old style Yakima saddles and we're both short so we carry a 3-step folding step stool with us.

We were out for the first time this year on Saturday so I took some pics.

Bill

Attachments

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
What??? First time this year ???? With those boats?? :shock::lol:

·
Registered
366 Posts
What??? First time this year ???? With those boats?? :shock::lol:
Yea, I know. Unfortunately I've was working 7 days a week from April thru the middle of June and trying to put in a new kitchen at the same time. Well, the work project is done, the counter top was installed Thursday and I got the water hooked back up on Friday,so it was time to go paddle!!! :grin: :roll:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts