Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We do a lot of kayaking here in Florida and the Element seems it will be a great transport vehicle. I'm into deciding on a new rack system that will mount to the factory racks. I'd like to be able to remove all of it when not in use, and it would be great if it didn't make a lot of racket while heading down the highway. I've had Yakima and they were noisy. Thule seems to be a step up. What would be the ultimate for the Element? :roll:

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I only have one Sea Kayak right now and a couple of white water boats and a rec boat or two. I left the stock rack on and bought Malone Auto Loaders right on the stock rack. They are super strong and have no noise, and other than a clearance problem going into my garage, they've been no trouble at all. I trimmed about an inch off the top of each one to get it into my garage and they still work excellent.
See them here:http://www.theautoloader.com/
Get them here:http://www.outbackgear.com/malofmainaut.html

·
Registered
38 Posts
I bought 24H mighty mounts ( Yakima ), and the kayak stacker...holds up to 4 boats! It works great, use it all the time...you may want to look into 23H size too, although the stacker does not move a bit, fits tight, holds tight...hope this helps guys!

let me know if you need more detail...

Jesse

ps: all of this on factory rack runs about 80 bucks! not bad to me!

·
Registered
4 Posts
[quote:c3f88f9c04="Kayakin' Dan"]I only have one Sea Kayak right now and a couple of white water boats and a rec boat or two. I left the stock rack on and bought Malone Auto Loaders right on the stock rack. They are super strong and have no noise, and other than a clearance problem going into my garage, they've been no trouble at all. I trimmed about an inch off the top of each one to get it into my garage and they still work excellent.[/quote:c3f88f9c04]

Hello Dan,

I have a Hobie Outback which is 36" wide. Do you think that the Autoloader or SuperJ would work for this?

I tried to look at some locally here in GA but the outlet listed on Malone's site was not even aware of the maker. I would probably have a clearance issue as well; I carry my Hobie inverted now and I could not get it in the door. Can the mounts be removed easily?

I have no real problems carrying my yak (even up to 85+ mph) and there is not too much noise but I have a buddy in Jax that has one and would like to be able to carry both.

Thanks for your original suggestion and any help you can provide.

http://flatsfisher.com

·
Registered
51 Posts
I carried my 53 pound and 35 pound kayaks on the factory rack using the Yakima kayak stacker mounted with the 24H might mounts. I noticed that the cross bars seeemed a little stressed and loose in the brackets. The 24H's seem to hold tight, but I am also using the reinforced bolts ordered separately from customer service.

I do like the auto loader mentioned above, but my boat exceeds the max width by 1/2 inch I think. My experience with trying to load the 53 pounder for the first time on the factory rack was unpleasant. The boat slipped off the rack and sliced the drive side mirror off on it's way to the ground. I have since changed my way of loading the boats.

·
Registered
4 Posts
After my Jetta it was tough getting used to putting the yak on top of the Element. My yak weighs about 70# and even if it weighed less the width can make it unwieldy. My biggest problem outside of that was getting the straps on it. I bought a small step ladder to use to reach it. Finally I stopped centering it and slide it to one side so I can toss the straps over and then draw it tight.

I have contemplated making a temporary roller with some type of cushioning to set on the rear roof and the roll up till I can let it down on the factory rack to ease things. So far I have had no issues and the plastic trim on the roof line helps reduce some possible scratching. I rarely contact that with the yak though. The Yakima HullRaiser looks like an option as well. I saw a truck with the Hobie Outback using those and it looked like a good fit.

Thanks for the info.

joe

·
Registered
51 Posts
Before I got the E, I also considered something I could sit on the back to roll the kayak up. After getting it I got concerned about scratching it. If you do something let us all know. With the rack 3' from the back the roller don't seem to work for short boats. One owner mounts his rollers on the front and loads it from the front. This would probably work on a long touring boat.

The way I am loading now is to stand my 12 footer on its nose. I then I adjust my hands until the balance point is centered over my head. The nose rises up like a sea saw and I slip it over on the rack when it balances. I just drape a towel across my head for comfort, but it's all real quick. This saves me from trying to hoist the boat up from the ground with a bad shoulder.

At 70lbs, are you using a tandom?

Tom

·
Registered
4 Posts
My boat is about 12 feet long. I have the AWD EX so I have a sunroof to account for but I think a couple of sets of rollers is possible. The main thing I think would be portability and ease of use. I am thinking about PVC as the base. I small 'L' to hook down over the hatch. The rear rollers need to be right at the back and wide/numerous enough to put the tip of the bow but also catch rest of the hull(or gunnels in my case as I carry upside down). Unfortunately my ideas come easier than the time to experiment but I will keep you posted.

My first thought, and this may be the best and simplest way is to use some kind of pad. A rubber non-slip backing and a durable, slick upper surface. Add an inch or so of cushioning and you just roll it out on top and slide the yak right up. Maybe I should develop it and market before posting :wink: .

If I use some kind of stacker or angled mount it is a moot point. Not sure how practical they would be either as getting in the garage may be the clincher. If it is not easy on/off it would not be worth the trouble and a trailer may be the answer (and then I could carry other gear as well back there).

My boat is designed for fishing primarily. It has extra plastic on the gunnels providing trays. The actual weight is 67# but that does not actually include the pedal system http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaking/models_outback.html. That pops out for transport.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts