Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All,
I've done plenty of investigating on this site, but still a bit torn, so I thought I'd ask everyone and see what their experiences were:

I have a 2005 E with a factory roof rack that I put on about a month ago. I will be purchasing a second kayak later this summer, and already own a double ocean kayak (good sized). I'm leaning towards the Thule 835 Hull A Port Kayak rack, but worry for 2 reasons: 1) The factory rack cross bars are only a couple feet apart- will that not allow for a secure kayak while driving? 2) If it is a good sized kayak, should I just get the OEM kayak attachment so it can lay down instead of being at an angle?

Any little anecdotes or advice would help (especially with the thule j-style hull a ports- really leanin towards these but just want to make sure they are dependable for mostly city, but some highway driving). Don't hesitate to share any experiences or suggestions. Thanks!

·
Registered
816 Posts
835 Hull A Port Kayak rack / OEM rack

I have a 2005 E with a factory roof rack that I put on about a month ago. I will be purchasing a second kayak later this summer, and already own a double ocean kayak (good sized). I'm leaning towards the Thule 835 Hull A Port Kayak rack, but worry for 2 reasons: 1) The factory rack cross bars are only a couple feet apart- will that not allow for a secure kayak while driving? 2) If it is a good sized kayak, should I just get the OEM kayak attachment so it can lay down instead of being at an angle?
I started with the Thule 835 (older fixed J-rack, since updated) on the OEM racks. Worked great with the 9' SOT Ocean Kayak, but less so when we upgraded to the Wilderness Pungo 140s (14 '). Too much flex in the OEM racks. Replaced them with Thule load bars and eventually the Thule 897 Hullivator when we upgraded to Eddyline 16 1/2 ' and 17 1/2' boats. But by then we also moved to the TPS Lizard rack. When carrying kayaks / canoe / recumbent or tandem bikes Thule load bars with the racks are attached to the TPS Lizard rack. As I've posted before, if I had a do-over I'd go straight to the TPS Lizard rack.

Moved the 835s and the original Thule load bars to a 4x6' utility trailer where they work fine. Much easier to load / unload when 4' off the ground than 7', but that's another story.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
And there is No Pictures, so we have no idea of what your talking about :lol:

·
Registered
816 Posts
No Pictures?

No pictures as my load bars are not on the E now, but the set up is the same as the attached image of EOC member "joebh"'s setup (except our kayaks are yellow over white instead of red over white). The 65" load bars (compared to 58" speced to the E) are attached to the TPS Lizard rack forward and aft of the E foot pack points. This increases the distance between the kayak racks with resulting increased stability. BTW, because we have a Rocky Mounts Tandem R4 bike rack on one side installation / removal only takes a couple of minutes.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys.....the tandem ocean kayak is 12' long, and I am looking at a scrambler which is just over 11' long.....based on price, and the factory OEM racks, i'll probably go with the thule j racks.....again just because of the short amount of driving (little highway, mostly local). I appreciate your input!

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Got to the bike store and asked for a Saris Talon, clip that over your bars and you can haul anything:D

·
Registered
5 Posts
kayak racks - factory racks

HI,

I've been trying to figure out how to carry two 17' sea kayaks. My problem is the E I bought has factory installed racks side to side. This knocks out the great idea of the Saris Talon. (great idea though) Just wondering - does anyone know what is involved in removing the existing racks so I can install better ones as mentioned in this thread?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts