Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have had the Elemnt for two months....love it, but not sure what Honda was thinking when they designed the roof rack. Very hard to get sea kayacks on the top of the car by yourself. i wish they would have deisigned the rack to be farther back. Also there are no tie down points on the fatcory rack.

- Has anyone tied their Kayacks to the factory rack and if so how do you do it easily?
- Any advice on loading a sea kayak on solo?
- in the Elemnt catalogue their is a picture of an aftermarket kayak rack...what type of rack is this and where can I get one. I have two sea-kayacks and need to tie them down.

Thanks,
climbfish

·
Registered
914 Posts
You can always get the tie down straps that they sell at hardward stores where they are pull through a buckle like thing.

You might want to look at the attachments for Kayaks and canoes by Thule or Yakima where it is a cradle and you can sit it perfectly in it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yeah I competely agree with you, the spacing between the two rack bars is far to short. WTF!

However, I was able to get my Yakima mako sadles and Hully rollers installed on the factory rack using the yakima 24h mighty mounts. My experience with putting on my 16' 10" sea kayak has been mixed. You really have to tie down both bow and stern as there is a lot of fore and aft bob while driving over small bumps. I do like the fact I can open my rear hatch and tail gail without it bumping into the kayak. I have to load my kayak from the front of the car instead of the back beacuse it just easier ( I am 6' 4" tall and its to much kayak to lift to hit the rear kayak cradle). With the Hully rollers up front I just have to catch the bow of the boat and roll the rest of the kayak up on top. All this might be a challenge is you are short. I am considering putting a strip of 3 inch wide rubber tape on the leading edge of the roof ont he kayak rack side to prevent the kayak from rubbing againt the roof while loading.

hope this helps some. yikes those narrow rack bars!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts