Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this comment in the US part of the site, but no one understands our vicious Canadian Mosquitos and Black Flies like we do, so I thought I'd throw out the question here...

How do we keep the bugs out while sleeping in the E? I figure it's GOT to get stifling hot in there with two hot Canadians and a 70lb Boxer-x (and I'll need to air out the flatulance at some point...)! I thought that glueing screen or mesh to magnets and putting them on the outside of the E when parked might work, that way you can roll up and down (or pop open or close) the windows.

Any other ideas??

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sorry...you may have to excuse my ignorance...Do you have a skylight? They have mesh on them, don't they? If not, I think the magnet idea sounds great. I never would have thought of that.

·
Registered
68 Posts
hey trackboy1001 8)

We ordered the SOP 5sp Y pkg so the sunroof isn't included, I thought about the sunroof and the mesh it would work great for bugs...but, wouldn't you get wet?? dew falls at night, and our tent was usually "damp" or the grass wet when we woke up...

Then again, it might help some people drag their butts out of bed in the am, a refreshing splash of dew in your face would be perfect to shake a hangover before a day of cycling or kyaking! :lol:

·
Registered
42 Posts
That..plus the seats and the floor can withstand the water. What other vehicle can boast the added benefit of a built in shower/bath combo?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
very true!

Either way, I will keep you posted on how the bug screen thing works out...hey maybe I'll patent the idea!

(damn, I guess I shouldn't have posted it then eh??) :?

GRIN!
Bren

·
Registered
33 Posts
yeah I was thinking the same thing... magnets... Even stuffing a piece of screen in the space might do it...

Othewise amybe a tent option?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does that tent really seal itself around the back of the E well enought to keep the critters out?? Does any one have one??

I am curious, since they call it a "sun shade" on the website if it really has what it takes to keep the blood suckers (and West Nile) out side of our E while we sleep.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I purchased some super strength magnet today (the kind that driving instructor door signs are made of) to make our "screens" I think it's going to work really well. I got a 2'x2' piece from a local Sign maker for $12.

We are thinking of doing this 2 ways:
1. by placing the screen around the window and putting the magnet on top to hold it on. It's very soft screen so it won't damage the paint.

2. if that doesn't work, the sign place said to use a hot glue gun or Super Glue and glue the screen mesh to the back of the magnet.

I will post how it worked, since we'll be using them this weekend!

Cross your fingers it works, or pass the "After Bite"....

BB

·
Registered
164 Posts
You will need to host the image on the web somewhere then link it to here. Some people have been using http://www.grovestreet.com/jsp/main.jsp for their free image hosting. I think you have to sign in and upload your photos then copy the image properties, use

That should do it. If that does not work email me your photo and I'll post it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
On Sunday after frezzing our butts off two nites in a tent we moved into the E for the Sunday Night -1C sleepfest. Two of us and a Dalmation makes for a cozy sleep. Windows sealed we woke up with condesation over all the windows. No frost thankfully!

Since I am in Manitoba where the bugs grow extra thick I definitely want to see your screen creation. If you can post the pics here, email me and I'll help out.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
X2e has been kind enough to post a picture of our screen invention (see below) so here's the description.

At first we thought we would glue the screen to the back of the magnet but soon discovered that there was even an easier way.

We decided that the screen we purchased (just the nylon(?) stuff from Home Depot that you would use to re-screen a door) was soft enough it wasn't going to damage the paint.

For transporting and ease of use we would cut the magnets into several pieces and fit them around the entire window. Once that was done we just cleaned it all up by cutting off the spare pieces of mesh. REMEMBER to have the window OPEN when you are making your screen.

We'll bring them with us to Ikea on Sunday so all those attending can have a closer look.

Ianmcc: I hear you about the condensation, that haped to us to the first night we slept in our E..This screen has totally solved that problem. Since we made them, we slept in it 3 nights...NO condensation! If you want closer picts..Private Message me your email, and I'll send them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts