Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey guys,

i was curious if anyone has a Kenwood KDC-BT945U (or similar) HU and how well it works. i'm really interested in getting this and was hoping i could still use the OEM speakers and subs for the time being. i have read all the other mod forums regarding making an aftermarket HU work with the OEM stuff, but i just wanted to make sure this is possible with this unit before i make a purchase.

also, where is the sub located in the 2010 Ex? is it right in front of the center console? is there an aftermarket sub that would fit in that console? sorry if some of this has been answered. i have looked at the other forums. just gets kind of confusing and i'd like to understand this better before i go buy things.

EDIT: actually, i might just say screw it and replace everything... HU, amp, sub, and speakers. i'd like to keep the price somewhat reasonable. does anyone has suggestions or a link to what set up works well for them? i don't need anything too crazy. not looking to shake up city blocks while driving down the street :)

·
Registered
599 Posts
I've got last years model of this HU, the KDC-X693, which is pretty much identical except the face looks different and it doesn't have bluetooth. I used it to replace an Eclipse CD-5044 which is a well recognized SQ deck and I thought was giving me pretty good reproduction but the Kenwood blew it out of the water.

Now, I've got an aftermarket sub and front speakers, factory rears and factory amp running the full range so that might be why the Eclipse didn't blow me away. It really is supposed to be setup with higher end components whereas the Kenwood is a higher-end deck still targeted at OEM or mid-range speakers and amps. The level of control you have over the EQ, crossovers, time correction and soundstage is amazing on the Kenwood and much easier to setup than the Eclipse.

I've got a thread somewhere that talks about my impressions of the Kenwood deck, a quick search should turn it up but I'm lazy. Look it up. You're unlikely to be disappointing by the Kenwood and you'll like it even more if you upgrade some of the speakers (even if you keep the stock amp). One piece of advice though, ditch the factory sub and get a good 10" or 12" in a sealed box with a good amp. I'm running Phoenix Gold Tantrum but I understand their product has gone downhill in the last few years. Look at Memphis, they make great stuff and their subs and amps at least aren't too expensive. Memphis speakers on the other hand, the good ones, are way pricey but certainly worth it if you're investing in a full system rebuild.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool. i've been compiling what everyone else has purchased from other forums and will compare them on crutchfield. seems like a lot of people like the polk db651s speakers, and i think one of the JL subs. will that sub, or any other sub for that matter, fit in the same location as the stock sub? i really don't want to give up space in the back if possible.

i've heard good things about the old models of the kenwood HU like you have. i'm really interested in the iPod controls too since i constantly have that hooked up and rocking. i had a pioneer in my old sentra which sounded great with some polk speakers, but the iPod controls sucked. couldn't jump ahead to find songs at all.

thanks for the input. i will take a look at the memphis stuff too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts