Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, what have people done to use the key and go surfing with the car key, instead of leaving it on the beach?

Should you just stash the car key in the car, and swim with the valet key and just destroy it.

Why didnt honda make a water proof key to some degree knowing that people are going to be active with the car.
Its cool they make waterproof seat covers, but if your key gets wet your just going to sit in your waterproof seat covers and wait till the cows come home!

What can we do?

Karl
GG built 6/03 Roof Racks, keyless, alarm, all weather floormats, cargo net, wheel locks, and leather wrapped wheel.

·
Premium Member
2003 2WD MT GG, 55K as of 3/20(!), It’s a Fun Box
277 Posts
My speedo swim trunks came with a cool waterproof plastic pocket. I keep my key in there.

·
Registered
914 Posts
My dealer said that I could take my key in the water with me. I've already done so on a couple of occasions with nothing happening (i hope), but the dealer said I could, so if anything i'll break his balls on it, if anything (God forbid) happens to my E.

However, i've also been hearing about people stashing their keys in other places, like a locking gas cap with storage-though the E key might not fit; Maybe you can get a key cut just for unlocking the doors? There is also the magnetic cases that you hide somewhere under your car and stash it there. I have been thinking if you can hide it in the top rail box where the rack installs. How about putting some kind of magnetic mechanism to the inside of your gas tank door, the outside is plastic, but i believe the inside is metal. There is always under the bumper, under the wheel, inside the wheel, etc.

The best suggestion would be to explore your E for hidden spots, then let us know some of the places to hide a key.

·
Registered
82 Posts
i used to have a key card cut by AAA for the civic. haven't gotten around to it yet for the tonka.

that should work for opening the doors, but not the engine. that's easily stashed in the pocket on most surfboard leashes the velcro part that attaches to your ankle (if you tear the key part away from the card part).

i'm not sure if AAA can cut the E weird key, but i'll find out soon and report back. but i'm pretty sure they can since it's not the only car with that kinda shaped key.

·
Registered
261 Posts
i was also wondering what would happen if the keys got wet so as an experiment i dropped my valet key in a glass of water for 30 minutes; after i took the key out it worked fine (opened the doors and started the engine).

·
Registered
273 Posts
no worries about the key in salt water,,, didn't even give it a second thought,,, untill i saw this thread.... :shock: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't remember where I read or if I was told about the key and water.
Guess they were wrong, I have to look in the manual again.
It would suck if the key can get wet a few times, then on the time farthest from your house, is the time the key doesnt work.

Karl.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Our plan is to use a small, waterproof box called a "Surf Safe" available at Scuba Diving Shops. They are worn around your neck on a small cord. I have personally used these things to carry my C-card and a bit of money to around 100 ft. deep. When new, mine didn't leak at all. Now, at 5 years old it leaks a tiny bit so my money gets slightly damp (which is no big deal at the Tiki Bar :) ).

A valet key (in a zip lock bag for extra insurance) should work just fine in a surf safe.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I think the only problem with saltwater and keys occurs when the keys are allowed to stay under water for more than a week. Of course if your with them then you have a much more serious problem.

·
Registered
914 Posts
[quote:73da1a0699=" "]Our plan is to use a small, waterproof box called a "Surf Safe" available at Scuba Diving Shops. They are worn around your neck on a small cord. I have personally used these things to carry my C-card and a bit of money to around 100 ft. deep. When new, mine didn't leak at all. Now, at 5 years old it leaks a tiny bit so my money gets slightly damp (which is no big deal at the Tiki Bar :) ).

A valet key (in a zip lock bag for extra insurance) should work just fine in a surf safe.[/quote:73da1a0699]

Wouldn't work for surfing, unless you're in small conditions...the thing would fall off or strangle you.

Most boardshorts come with a loop in the pocket that you are able to attach your key to, and nearly all leashes have a key pocket in the strap.

No bad experiences with water and the key, i just make sure I wipe it down before I put it in the ignition.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My Element keys have chips in them. Is that only because I have the alarm system? I would never deliberately let these keys get wet --- they're not even supposed to be dropped. And if I ever lose them, I'm told only Honda can get the replacements and that they're more than $80 apiece.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
When I'm out on my Hobie Cat in the summer I have just left it unlocked, with the key in plain sight in the console. Anybody who might have taken it would have just been "test-driving". How far could they get without being noticed? Then again, I don't sail in a hoodlum neighborhood. If I did, or I had something valuable left inside, I'd go for some kind of VERY waterproof container lashed to the tramp on my Cat. I've been "tossed" overboard, but the Cat herself has never sunk. (Knocking on wood!) But if you really want a decent hiding place for a key, try about two or three feet up your tailpipe, and use a piece of wire to retrieve it if you put it "really up there". (From an old auto mechanic friend.)

·
Registered
57 Posts
By any chance, do you trailer your cat off the car? Can't a trailer alone be many hundreds of pounds off the limit? I'd been thinking I could do a very small sailboat or a couple of surf bikes but fret over the trailer part alone.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Regardless of weight inside the vehicle, you can tow something up to 1,500 pounds (my Hobie 16 and trailer weigh far less than that). The only issue is that the tongue weight has to be included in the vehicle's total weight-carrying capacity. But again, since the tongue weight shouldn't exceed 100 pounds for my trailer hitch, it's no problem at all! I have a self-installed Hidden Hitch. And my Hobie tows like a dream! (pp 191-193 in the manual)

·
Registered
914 Posts
[quote:3c09091688=" "]My Element keys have chips in them. Is that only because I have the alarm system? I would never deliberately let these keys get wet --- they're not even supposed to be dropped. And if I ever lose them, I'm told only Honda can get the replacements and that they're more than $80 apiece.[/quote:3c09091688]

It rains and snows, there are some times that it might get wet. You also can't help it from falling...that would make no sense to have a key that needed to be replaced when dropped. All of them have the chip in them, but it doesn't matter if it gets wet, only if it is wet for a long time.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
[quote:53da159213=" "]My Element keys have chips in them. Is that only because I have the alarm system?[/quote:53da159213]

No, all Element keys have chips in them, for the Immobilizer System, which prevents the car from starting if a specific chip isn't found.

-brendan

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hownow, where did you get your hitch and also whats the largest ball it will carry? I'm going to tow my proa out rigger.

Fanrog; A 1500 lbs of trailer including payload should be ballanced to a tongue weight of 150 lbs. (10%). Just add the 150 lbs to your total wieght on board. Leave your 1000 lb gorilla at home. unless you want to strap him on the trailer. You will never even know he's back there.

PS hownow , you must be Indian, me know how me want some. :lol:

·
Registered
30 Posts
I dropped my key along with the remote entry fob into a sudsy bucket while washing my E. I shook it off and left it on the (dry part of the) ground for a bit. Tried it - works fine. Never any problems.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts