Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was pulling into my driveway the other day and ever so gently bumped or snagged on the ignition key while turning the wheel, my E went from up and running to all systems down in a flash. It took me a moment to realize what had happened, but turns out the ignition key was flicked backward from the ON position to ACCESSORY MODE during the wheel crank. I live on a busy one way street, and stalling in the middle of the road was a pretty big scare.

I don't have a heavy key-set hanging from the ring (nothing excessive), and I now fear that this could happen on the highway during my morning commute with just a simple tap of the problem area - anybody else dealt with this one?

·
Registered
133 Posts
This is one of the few reasons why I keep several rings on a carabiner and simply unhook the set I need at any given time. I only use a single key in my motorcycles, and the bare minimum dangling off of any keyed cylinder. Eventually the tumblers will wear out from added weight, or worse, total shut down as you experienced. I'm glad nothing worse happened to you. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,817 Posts
Not a recall, for that symptom, but it may not even been serviced for the interlock recall. Check Hondas site with the VIN, maybe you'll be lucky.

If not, replace the switch yourself and lighten your keys

Your keys should not be hanging so low that you can bump them with your hands or indeed while turning the wheel. The stiffer and/or longer a keychain is, the more torque.

Imo, over 3 ounces on a 1 inch diameter steel split ring is excessive. That's 4 house keys,one chipped ignition key, and a remote fob. A short beaded chain will decouple the swinging load from twisting the ignition key in the lock, but not the static load.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all, will do a VIN search. I'm taking it in for new tires on Friday... will ask the mechanic to take a look too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts