Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
[Moderator's note: Before proceeding with this repair, please see post #59 below.]

Removing, repairing and replacing the Honda 4-track ignition lock: See post #84 below.

With special thanks to "SaintAug.Element" I have now seen, first hand, one example of an E door lock problem. If you have a similar situation, key won't go all the way in or key goes in but won't turn, I hope this will help if you want to try to fix it yourself or give you a heads up if you plan on taking it somewhere to get fixed.

For the DIY'ers... first thing is to take the lock out. The door panel is pretty much like any other with one exception, that little black triangle shaped piece of sh... um... trim at the top rear of the panel. First time I tried to remove it I almost broke it. Then I figured out the trick, push from the back. Here's some pics.

If you've never pulled a door panel before here ya go.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
cont...

Once the panel is off you can see the back of the door handle. If you look really close you should be able to see the top of the clip that holds the lock in the handle. There was too much stuff in the way for me to get a good pic of this but here's one with the handle out so you can see the orientation of that clip. You will need to use something to get at the bottom of it and pull down, I used a curved awl. Once the clip is removed, the lock is free and it will come out to the inside of the door.

I took the handle out for picture purposes only, you do not have to remove it to do this. Actually you can't remove the handle until the lock is out.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cont...

At this point, if you're not careful, the lock will fall apart. If you can, go ahead and insert the key into the lock, this will keep the wafers from falling out and you cussing me out. With the key in the lock you want to push the core from the back. Do not pull it out with the key or you will, once again, be cussing me out. If, when you take the core out of the case, you see any wafers protruding out any further than most of the others then you have worn or stuck wafers.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
cont...

I almost forgot, if you decide to try to DIY you should make sure you have a dealer or locksmith who will sell you new wafers. You can either buy a few of each or do all of this first and find out exactly how many of each you need, they are numbered.

Ok where were we... at this point you will need to remove all of the wafers. Be very, very careful when you pull the key out. Keep your fingers over the wafers while you do this. Do whatever you need to do to remember which ones go where, a short pencil is better than a long memory any day. Lay them all out and see what numbers they are. Lay them out one by one with the new ones. In the last pic you can see the difference between a worn one and a new one.

Another method that is perfectly acceptable is removing only one at a time, looking at the number and replacing it with the same. I don't know why I didn't think of this before cause there will be a lot less room for error. (my bad)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cont...

Out with the old, in with the new. Don't forget the springs. After you have put the new wafers back in, hopefully where they're supposed to go, stick your key back in and you should not have any protruding like you did before. If they're worse, I hope you like puzzles. (I'm not trying to be mean, it's just getting really late and I've had a few beers)

If everything lines up you're good to go. Put it all back together and enjoy.

Once again thanks to Steve and Debbie for making the trip and being the guinea pig.

If you do this yourself and get stuck anywhere please let me know and I will try to help in any way I can. Good luck.

Pierre

Attachments

·
EOC Rank: Granny Smith Apple
2,593 Posts
Good Informative Post

Excellent Job done with this post. Well stated and with pics. Sheeeze, makes me wish I had a lock problem. (almost).

regards,
jurn

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Nice Job!!

This will help several members, with the lock Problem.

This needs to be a sticky in the DYI section !!

Dom

·
Registered
409 Posts
Very nice job! Yup should be a sticky!

Or maybe set up a wikipedia diy manual :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks for doing all of the work! I plan on using this to fix both of my sticky locks. Don't know how soon I will be ready to tackle this though. I my print this off, take the locks out and then take them to a locksmith to replace the wafers (I do not have the most steady of hands). Thanks again for the great instructions and pictures.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I just had my mechanic do this for me. I also had him change out my lock actuator. I am glade I did not try to do this my self. He only charged me 40 so it was worth it to me since it took him about 1.5 hrs it would of took me more like 3 – 4 trying to figure out what I did & not to mention the parts I would break. This is a very good post. That’s about every thing the mechanic did with the lock cylinder

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Forty bucks... nice! You got a great deal. I don't think I've seen a mechanic charge any less than $60 hr since the 80's.

Looks like I might be doing this to my E pretty soon. I've noticed a little bit of a catch when I insert my key into the drivers side door lock.

Pierre

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
very well written diy, so good o wd40 didn't work? or jiggling the key?

·
Registered
132 Posts
WD40 worked for a min. The mechanic showed me the shavings & told me this is conmen in Elements & CR-V on the driver’s side.
Oh and it was kind of a pkg deal with the mechanic. It was a new side window, lock actuator, & new cylinder lock, then put replace every thing for $300. But I had to take the car to him 2 times. Once for the door & the 2nd to put the little window in.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Great write up, and good-to-know info.

But perhaps this is a little sad to say...I don't think I'd ever know if my key wouldn't go into the lock all the way. I think I've only used the key in the door maybe twice since I bought my E in August...I always use my remote to lock and unlock the door. Just a habit I got into with my previous vehicle...if you didn't use the remote to unlock the vehicle, the alarm would go off. The alarm would shut off once the key was turned in the ignition, but I hate car alarms so I never used the key in the lock unless the battery was dead.

Just out of curiosity though, is there a way to prevent this from happening? Graphite lube? Some other sort of lube? Use the lock a lot? Never use it?

1 - 20 of 204 Posts