Honda Element Owners Club banner

181 - 200 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks on the heads up on the tri-flow. I do keep it in tool box.

On edit; I remember years ago a hardware owner & lock tech were pushing this stuff called Ballistol, but then again they sold it. Seems like "snake oil" since it can be used on practically everything. You have any input on it? http://ballistol.com/

·
Registered
68 Posts
Never mind, I think I answered my own question by looking at a bunch of test different people have posted on the net, comparing others.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks dan.

There could be a possible solution but it would take someone at a Honda parts dept who's willing to work with me to find out. I already know it can be done to an '03 Civic cause I stumbled on the chance to do it for a customer. His ign stuck on him and he called me to fix it. He ordered the right lock but they sent him the wrong one, for an '02. I got to looking at it and noticed they were almost identical.

Both '02 and '03 Civic use the same transponder chip, the '03 is the 4-track (like the E) and the '02 is the old style key, the kind that don't wear down as fast. The ignition lock assembly is pretty much the same except for the core of the lock. I was able to put the core of an '02 into the lock housing of an '03 and it worked perfectly so now that guy won't have to worry about his ign failing any time soon.
Hi Locksmith, I have a 2003 Civic. The door lock failed, then the ignition switch failed. All because of the sidewinder key design. Suppose I go to the junkyard and get a lock core from an '02 Civic. Then consider the following:

(a) Suppose it has the original 2002 key. Will this work with my 2003 Civic's transponder right off the bat? Or do I need to go to the dealer to get this programmed?

(b) Suppose it has no key. Will I be able to look at the 2002's tumblers and have a locksmith cut me a key?

I am aware that I have to then figure out the door locks and trunk lock, so only one key works in the ignition, doors, and trunk.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
You will need to get it programmed. While they are the same chip, your car has to learn it's unique code. I'd put my money on the junkyard not having keys but a locksmith shouldn't have a problem making a key and/or programming.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you, Locksmith. I went to a U-Pull-and-Pay auto salvage yard yesterday and checked around twenty Honda Civics, Accords and Odysseys. No keys anywhere. More importantly, it has finally sunk in that if I take a second-hand old-style-keyed ignition switch and get a blank key cut and programmed for it, then I will still have four sidewinder locks to replace (two doors, trunk and valet lock). Also I would need spare keys. The passenger door lock seems particularly difficult to remove. As many have advised, I am fine living with my original ignition switch, with a few tumblers removed, and counting on the transponder to prevent theft.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi all, impressive thread so far, wow!
TriFlow lubricant has been recommended here and has proven useful for me too: to ease my keys' turning in my Saab '87 ignition and Element EX '03 drivers door lock. So I gave preventative-maintenance squirts on my other door locks and my EX '03 ignition. Unfortunately, the EX ignition immediately started sticking a little (insertion, turning and extraction) and has now seized, no longer turning. I've given it a few more squirts and tried patiently to turn the key, jiggle it, insert/retrack/wipe it, and fiddle with the steering wheel, all hoping I might dislodge some dirt or loosen a stuck wafer / tumbler.

Before I attempt an uncertain DIY or an expensive dealer fix, how about this: could I squirt in rubbing alcohol / isopropanol to safely dislodge dirt, to flush excess lubricant, and to successfully free the ignition lock -- without causing other damage?

Thanks!
-Kevin, Oregon, merrily 212k down the road

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #189
Won't do any damage, if it's not excessive but I doubt it would make a difference. It's an issue with worn out mechanical parts, not debris.

·
Registered
14 Posts
When I was test driving my 03, I checked the front door locks as there was no keyless entry system on the car and I'd read online that this was a common trouble area with Elements. Sure enough, they were completely inoperable.

After the dealer (used car, not Honda) tried PB Blaster on the lock tumblers, dumping it down the side of the door, as part of the deal we agreed he would have an aftermarket keyless entry system installed. I believe it was about $150 at a local stereo store, and spent my first 36 hours of ownership climbing in and out of the rear hatch when I needed to lock the car. After 35,000 miles and almost 2 years, the keyless locks have never let me down.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just confirming Locksmith's advice posted #188 / #189
Flushing isopropanol to remove excess TriFlow did not loosen my ignition lock nor do any damage it appears. My ignition lock core had a couple immobile tumblers that were beyond repair by TriFlow.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I too had an uncooperative ignition key lock and opted to remove the lock tumblers to free it. Two novice comments I hadn't learned from reading this full thread:

A. Removing the ignition lock roll pin as in Locksmith's post #89 can be done without drilling, if necessary. I pushed it out from the back by using needle nose pliers and a narrow metal rod that was a bit thinner than the roll pin (an old shower curtain hook, if you must know). I had to snip the narrow rod into various lengths -- 2mm up to 8mm, I'd guess. Initially, the pliers pushed the pin out 1-2mm before they contacted the housing. Then I inserted the 2mm rod and pushed out the pin another 2mm. Then the 4mm rod and etc until I could pull it. ((Next time, I'd probably try this non-destructive method again in case the pin comes easily; I also agree that the more sure path is to drill a hole as Locksmitch advised; I was wary of getting metal particulate into the assembly so I'd probably use Al foil around the lock core to safeguard against particles.))

B. Once the lock core is removed and a key inserted to keep it all together (Locksmith post #92), the individual tumblers can be removed only after carefully removing the key. It may help to hold the core in a vertical position so tumblers don't spontaneously fall out. It may help firstly to photograph or mark the bad tumblers (with a sharpie pen?) so you're absolutely sure which ones to remove.

Major thanks to Locksmith! This is an excellent DIY repair thread. It cost me ~4 hours including studying the procedure and saved me $850 including a tow to the dealer. Very worthwhile, even for a rookie. :grin:

·
Registered
1 Posts
disabling steering lock

Ok so I have read all the info I can on ignition lock repair and watched all the videos. Removed the sticking wafers and am having an impossible time getting the cam into which the ignition lock goes into to seat and turn . The steering wheel lock is preventing the cam from turning , even after totally depressing the lock into the column. Read an earlier post about someone pulling out the steering wheel lock totally. Wondering if anyone else has done this. Car will still have anti theft as long as is is chip keyed. They can steal it as I am so frustrated. My wife's 2003 was covered under recall for this. My 05 no way from Honda. Ideas about problems if I pop the silver cover and trash the steering lock ?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
Far as I understand, the government no longer requires auto manufacturers to install steering column locks as long as there's some other form of anti theft device installed on the vehicle. Some still do, some don't. But that means yeah, you can disable yours without any problem. I have.

·
Registered
207 Posts
So any way to fix this with the key stuck halfway between ignition off, and 'out'?
Mine is jammed, car turns off, switch wont turn enough to remove key...
Still Starts though.
Tupperware Tank.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Keep the content coming captshark! Loving your vids. You're basically tackling everything on this forum so we can actually see what's going on!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'll have to find a smaller hand to start that bolt. I took out the first wafer, it was too far gone. In the second pair I was able to smooth out the burrs. The third pair was missing a wafer! A few years ago I had the lock replaced on warantee so I guess who ever keyed the lock screwed up. I will take it up with the dealer. Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
key wont come out, can't remove ignition outer ring

Hello Locksmith Pierre,
Thanks for all your help, you've helped me replace my door actuator and it's working great now.

I was hoping you might have some more details regarding the ignition switch with a key still stuck in it. Since I can't remove it, I can't get those outer rings off to pry and bump to get the pin out.
Any suggestions?
thank you
Scuba Steve

181 - 200 of 213 Posts