Honda Element Owners Club banner

201 - 204 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
If I was working on it I'd be making a new key anyway so I'd cut the head off the key. If that's not an option, I guess it depends on the reason the key is stuck. Can you turn the lock all the way back to the "0" (lock) position and can't pull the key out or are you not able to turn it back to lock?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I’d hate to bring up this old post but it seems like this is the most information one out here, so I’m adding to the issues lol.

Recently my key became harder and harder to insert into the lock cylinder. Yesterday it wouldn’t go in at all, so I forced it a tad and it kind of squished in. It didn’t feel right. And the key wouldn’t turn. It was stuck. Long story short, I pulled the entire cylinder assembly apart, as Locksmith had illustrated, and was left with an empty hole in my ignition assembly. Then I put the key next to the chip reader antenna thing, and turned the ignition with a flat blade screwdriver. It started up perfectly. I drove the car home, turned it off. And then went to start it in the exact same way, only it won’t turn. I have everything still plugged in (the antenna and the piece with the green light). My steering wheel is locked, however I don’t think that’s the issue.

I’ve trued everything, including: jiggling the steering wheel side to side while attempting to turn the ignition. Lifting the front end off the ground. Rocking the car back and forth. Putting the car in neutral. Nothing seems to be unlocking the ignition switch.

I have the lock cylinder removed, and I took all of the wafers out, so that the key can the cylinder easily, and I tried putting the cylinder back into the ignition assembly and repeating all of my attempt again, and nothing.

I don’t understand why the ignition switch won’t turn. Is it possible that it is locked up based on something I haven’t seen or tried yet? The battery is good so I know the antenna is getting power. Is there another way to start my car ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just took the barrel, removed the metal side cover with a drill to the roll pin and a small chisel to pry the cover off, glued the slide lock in the open position with JB weld, threw away the long steel finger that allows the steering lock to be disengaged, removed the ignition barrel, threw away all the pins except the inner most plate (which holds the key in), re-assembled, and fixed the problem now and forever. The electrical interlocks to the AT works, no sticky cylinder, same old key, it still won't accept most other keys because the last pin is still there, and the transponder still wont allow start unless it is my key. 2 hours, end to end, and I've never done anything like this before, ever. Most of the time was spent looking at you tube videos on key cylinder removal.

The dealer wanted $950. The first locksmith wanted $250, but tried to upcharge to $450 when he arrived, so I fired him (he then told me what I was doing was as illegal as hell, which was really funny) and called two others who wanted $450 and $600, each affirming it would only take them 30 minutes to an hour.

If I had wanted to re-key the barrel with new pins, I would have had to purchase a $37 kit plus shipping and wait a few days. I didn't see the point due to the transponder security system and the roughly 1 in 4 chance a key will work to even get into the ignition and turn it with the one remaining pin/plate still in place.

As it is: investment: $0.25 for the JB Weld blob, and 2 hours of my time. That works out to at least roughly $225 per hour I "paid" myself.

The Hondas have cruddy ignition cylinders apparently, but they are really easy to work on...even I can do it. Tell the dealers and locksmiths to pound sand when they try and make this sound so hard only they can do it for you for hundreds of dollars per hour when basic thinking skills and a little time are all you need. None of the areas are hard to get too. No small hands needed. The hard part was spinning the steering column bracket bolts off with a chisel. I made cross grooves in them with a Dremel so they are easy to take in and out now.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Mine took a lunchbreak, plus 10 minutes. Will disagree that the 1st 4 Phillips heads are easy, i got 3, had to break some plastic instead of getting the one that faces the dashboard out, but thats on me.
All Hail Our Locksmith.
Other locksmiths may pound sand at their leisure.

201 - 204 of 204 Posts