Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had my E about two weeks. It's a 2005 but in perfect condition, only 22K miles. This evening I notice that my driver's side door has a dent that wasn't there. Looks like someone slammed a door against it. When I look closer, I see an "asterisk" design keyed in the door and another deeper single scratch next to it.

I always try to park away. I can't even think right now where this may of happened. I'm sick about it and pissed! People are just mean. They see a car with dealer tags and the first thought is to dent and key it? If they can't have it, no one else should either, right?

Oh well. I'm going to try and get the major portions out but the deeper scratch is white. I don't think that there is paint left under it. It seems to be down to the metal.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Well that just plain ol sucks!! May the bastard that did it get their eyelid caught on a nail :mad:

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
My civic just got keyed the other night too. $3800 to repaint the entire car. They sure did a number on it. Kind of a blessing in disguise.
Oh well, no deductible + new paint job = me happy. :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you have a "no deductible" policy or did they waive it for you? Mine isn't all over so a full repaint wouldn't be needed. But I think fixing this would be under (or close to) my $500 deductible.

How do you keep it from happening once the car is repainted?

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
I went with the no deductible policy. Costs me a few bucks more a month, but it's worth it to not have to bend over and take it up the you know what if there's some damage that comes to a whopping $600.
Comprehensive - $0
Collision - $50 (lowest they let me go)
So if I ever get into a wreck ::knock on wood::, I'm going to make damn sure I get my $50 worth out of the repair. :D

·
Registered
557 Posts
Do you have a shared parking lot at work and see ask around to see if it happened to anyone else. I've had co-workers try to mess with my car when they were mad at me, or just people running around keying cars, that's why I was glad we had security cameras in the parking lot.

I'd be out for blood if I was you. Treat everyone like a suspect...:cool:

·
Registered
616 Posts
I know the "buy American" "buy union" sentiment is not as strong in your areas as here in the Detroit area. If faced with the same facts I would attribute it to an anti-foriegn sentiment.
I got two pretty serious door dings/gashes recently. I also park at the far end of parking lots away from other cars. I can only guess my dings were intentional. Several of my customers who drive Honda or Toyota cars said they recently got keyed.
I harp on this theme in another thread so will stop.

·
Registered
155 Posts
dbags. it might have been on purpose...but then again, they might have done it just to be aholes.

that said.

autogeek.net has this material i like to use on scratches called PoorBoys SSP 1 thru 4. I have their 2nd most agressive compound and that can really make a difference. plus you don't have to wait to apply the wax :)

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
If you have a Car Medic Co in your arra, call them, they could fix it for about $80 to $100. They fixed a dent and scratch in my wifes Impala SS that was down to metal, you can only notice it if it is sunny and I really look for it.
Sux it happened in the first place, welcome to the world of aholes.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Yeah, I'm pretty cynical too! haha I just would never think about taking a key and marking on someone's car. It's just not in my nature.

I'll look up Car Medic. I know that we have a company that goes to dealer's and fixes scratches, etc., on used cars before they sell. I had them fill and paint over the license plate holes that the IDIOT dealer drilled directly into the plastic bumper on my Turbo Beetle. Not only that, they drilled them at an angle so the plate was slightly turned. DumbA**es! I can't remember the company name. I'll check around for it.

Thanks for the replies....

EDIT: The company I used before was "ColorsOnParade" http://www.colorsonparade.com

·
Registered
557 Posts
Yeah, I'm pretty cynical too! haha I just would never think about taking a key and marking on someone's car. It's just not in my nature.

I'll look up Car Medic. I know that we have a company that goes to dealer's and fixes scratches, etc., on used cars before they sell. I had them fill and paint over the license plate holes that the IDIOT dealer drilled directly into the plastic bumper on my Turbo Beetle. Not only that, they drilled them at an angle so the plate was slightly turned. DumbA**es! I can't remember the company name. I'll check around for it.

Thanks for the replies....
We have a bracket in the front bumper of our New Beetle for a license plate. Is it not supposed to be there?

I never got the whole keying thing either, I mean people make me mad sometimes, but not enough to go ruin their stuff. What's worse than keying (I think) is when dbags knife your vinyl convertible top while it's raining...:-( and then you have mold and rust inside your nice convertible forever...

·
Registered
155 Posts
I never got the whole keying thing either, I mean people make me mad sometimes, but not enough to go ruin their stuff. What's worse than keying (I think) is when dbags knife your vinyl convertible top while it's raining...:-( and then you have mold and rust inside your nice convertible forever...
really? damn. words fail me right now.

sorry to hear that.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We have a bracket in the front bumper of our New Beetle for a license plate. Is it not supposed to be there?
There's a bracket that the dealer can use that goes up underneath, through the opening to hold it. If they drill into the bumper, they're just being lazy and cheap.

·
Registered
541 Posts
haters! they must have been a Scion XB owner or something worse! sorry to hear... hope the repair goes well...:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts