Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have a dumb question. I got the security system at the dealership but didn't pay for keyless entry. When I turn on the alarm, the horn beeps and the doors lock. When I turn off the alarm, the horn beeps twice and the doors unlock. Can I just use this as a keyless entry system? Is there any way to stop the horn from beeping when I arm/disarm it? Why would I pay another $100 for a keyless entry system when, apparently, everything is in place to automatically lock/unlock the doors?

Did any of that make any sense?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Buddkun,

That servers the same purpose as the keyless entry plus the security. U do not need to purchase the honda keyless entry since you already have the dealer installed alarm.

Since you already have an alarm, I would suggest on adding an ignition kill to it. Most dealer installed alarm normally does not have an ignition kill but has the option for future installation.

They reason they put in an alarm instead of the keyless is they have contracted a third party vendor and it cost them less.

John

·
Registered
50 Posts
My son installs sound systems and alarms. (YES, he's responsible for those "boom boxes" some people call cars!) He stated that the kill switch is redundant in my Element. No key = no start. Period.

He still wired it in (one wire) when he installed my keyless entry/alarm.

I didn't time him, but he had the entire install done in very little time; like maybe an hour..... I think he normally charges $120 for the alarm/keyless entry and installation.

He put the flashing red light on the column, half-way between the tweeter and the door window, instead of by the shifter. It's easier to see if someone looks into the driver side window.

He told me to say it is a basic alarm with horn and flashing headlights if it goes off.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I would like to believe that Honda's key fob security is effective but it's not true. I have 2000 Acura Type R that is suppose to be unstealable and they stole it. The thieves drove off with it.

After it was recovered (When it was stripped all the way down, even the carpet), the ignition was somehow bypassed with some electronic gadget.

Maybe, it would have helped if there was an ignition kill in it. Unlike our Expedition, it also requires a key fob in order to start it. I also have an ignition kill and anti-car jack with the alarm. I also made sure that they have a hard time finding all the wires and alarm components.

I have everything taped up to look like factory and all other components are well hidden and hard to access.

John

·
Registered
97 Posts
Whatever device or approach you use to thwart thieves, they will find a way around it. I dealt with and studied the methods of car thiefs a few years ago. It's not just a profession for them, it's a challenge. Car stealing is a big business. It's so big that insurance companies pay for and manage the biggest database for tracking stolen cars in existence. Of course they make it accessible to law enforcement. BTW, at the time I was involved, the VTEC engine was the most desired by thieves. I don't know if that applies to the iVTEC as well, but it's possible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts