Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like our Honda keyless entry accessory but am not so sure about the fact that doors will lock in exactly 30 seconds after you leave the vehicle. The only way you can turn this feature OFF is by pressing the UNLOCK option of the master door lock switch prior to leaving the vehicle while the key is in the ignition.

Since I have defeated the beep beep beep... "feature" that advises me that a key is in the ignition as soon as driver door is opened by cutting the famous red wire with the white stipe and silver dot in the steering column, the prospect of inadvertently locking my key in the car looms large.

Would I rather inadvertently lock my car with key plainly visible in the ignition or would I rather inadvertently (perhaps) leaver my car unlocked and vulnerable to having the random stuff--dirty gym shorts, empty paper latte cups, and my cheap sunglassses--stolen. Hmmm...

I am thinking of ordering an extra valet key and attaching it in a cool dark place on the chassis.

Anyone thought about this? Where might be the best place to attach they key? Or should I just forget about it and try to be ever so much more careful to not leave my key in the ignition and be willing to wait for potentially hours until "Buttcrack Bob" the locksmith shows up with the special tool? (Not that there is anything wrong with buttcarakcs per se).

yelapa :?:

· Registered
28 Posts
Wow. Do I understand this correctly? If you have keyless entry, you have to have the 30 second autolock? First off, I've never even heard of autolock and when you are taking two kids (infant and toddler) out of any vehicle, the last thing you want it to do is to lock on its own.

I was hoping to have a keyless entry installed with a code key panel thingy on the door just in case I ever did lock the keys inside. Has anyone had one of those put on?

I'll definitely have to look into that feature more closely before I decide.

bex

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. I was annoyed by the car locking as I was washing it and could not find anything in the owners manual. However i found it in the keyless entry instruction manual. It is really annoying and not funny at all if, say kids or pets were locked in the car with they keys still in it.

To address your concern directly, there is NO keypad on the door, only a small key fob with unlock and lock (and panic) buttons that you would normally carry on your key ring. Also the doors do not lock until all of them have been closed continuously for at least 30 seconds.

I should note that I am being lazy and watching car races today and have not conducted a critical experiment: Would the doors actually autolock if the key were in the ignition, given that I have cut one of the wires that tells they car a key is in the ignition? I suspect I MAY need to reconnect the wire that enables the annoying beeping. There seems to be more than one wire that "knows" whether the key is inserted into the ignition. Otherwise maybe someone else could check this out before I happen to get to it.

yelapa

· Registered
461 Posts
I don't understand this thread. I have keyless entry (dealer installed OEM), and it does not autolock. The only time the doors lock is if I push the button on the remote.

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is the text from the manual:

"Note:

After unlocking the door(s), the system will relock (with no "beep") in 30 seconds when any door is not opened, the ignition switch is not turned ON, the SILCON switch (LOCK) on the driver's side is not turned ON, or the remote control switch (LOCK or UNLOCK) on the driver's side is not turned ON."

--from page 6 of the "Keyless Entry System Owner's Manual"

I have confirmed that it will definitely autolock if the key is left in the ignition. As a practical matter, the events leading to this particular event (autolocking with the ley in the ignition) are not likely but they are possible.

I am concerned mostly because I use the driver's door master lock/unlock button probably more than most people because I had a balky keyless system in a previous car. I also recognize that I am a little absentminded about keys. Still, I put this autolock concept in the same category as daylight running lights: Please, oh government regulators and well-meaning car makers, could I decide for myself, please?

yelapa :?

· Registered
28 Posts
I think I'll look into other 3rd party keyless entry systems before we order our E. I definitely want a keypad in addition to a kefob. The keyfob for locking and un-locking while holding child in arms and hanging onto the other one, the keypad for the time when I (heaven forbid) lock the keys and kids in the car and need to get them back out in a hurry.

Thanks so much for posting this thread. Gives me a big heads up.

bex

· Registered
7 Posts
I think this thread has done more to confuse then help, I have the keyless on my E, the 30 second time range is for when you hit the unlock when approaching your car if you do not open the doors it will relock in 30 seconds. the system is very good and even unlocks the back hatch

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Iocjk,

Yep, that's what it's for. But it also offers the unwanted possiblity of enabling one to lock oneself out of one's vehicle inadvertently. Some will note that the mode leading to that is somewhat unlikely and I will agree. The question, I suppose, is whether on balance this is a good feature or not. I guess I put it right up there with hardwired daylight running lights. As usual, your mileage may vary...

yalapa

· Registered
338 Posts
That autolock stinks. I have a window in front of my house and it's common to point out the window and unlock my vehicle set the keys down and then go out and get something out of it. Or send one of my kids out to get something for me. By the time you reach the vehicle it's locked. I don't know of any other system like this.

A vehicle made for camping and the outdoors has a keyless entry system for the worst city streets !! We vacation on an island, and I always point the transmitter out the window unlock the vehicle and then go out and bring in some piece from the vehicle. Got to take the keys with you with this one.
This system does too much for you, and takes away too much control from the owner.

· Registered
31 Posts
>>I don't know of any other system like this. <<

My wife's Toyota Camry SE is like this (probably the most common car in America). It drives me insane. You walk up to the car with your groceries... pop the trunk with the remote... unlock the doors with the remote... put your groceries in the trunk... try the door and it's locked already. It seems like there are about 50 ways for me to be tripped up by this. I'm constantly trying the door only to find that it's locked. It's infuriating. But... there's almost no way to lock your keys in. It's very unlikely.

I have ordered the remote for the E. After having remote on my Jeep, it's driving me crazy NOT having it. If one can disable that 30 second thing, I'd do it in a heartbeat. The Jeep was very simple... it was either locked or unlocked and that's the way I'd like it.

· Registered
129 Posts
Simon said:
That autolock stinks. I have a window in front of my house and it's common to point out the window and unlock my vehicle set the keys down and then go out and get something out of it. Or send one of my kids out to get something for me. By the time you reach the vehicle it's locked. I don't know of any other system like this.
My wife's new Mazda Protege 5 works exactly the same way. Hasn't been a problem yet.

· Registered
41 Posts
I have the honda keyless entry and alarm. You do not have to have the AUTO setting (my manual says auto is 20 seconds). You can choose MANUAL setting and always set the lock yourself. The way to switch back and forth between AUTO and MANUAL is in the Security System manual.

I think you put the key in and out of the ignition 3 times, then the little light will flash.

You can also set it to VALET, which I think requires putting the key in and out of the ignition 2.5 times.

RTFM
:)

PS - I found it kind of confusing. You could always ask the Honda tech who installed it.

· Registered
288 Posts
Dont know if this is the correct thread to ask this but how hard is it to install the keyless entry. And did anyone else find it insane that that was an option and not a standard feature? I felt it was like offering "standard power brakes"!

· Registered
24 Posts
Zara, installing the keyless entry was incredibly easy. If you think you change a fuse in the fuse panel, then you could do the keyless entry. It really only involves:

(a) opening up dash - simple and safe
(b) get under drivers side dash w/a light and locate green plug - fairly easy
(c) install bracket - need a socket driver or wrench - fairly easy, awkward
(d) install key entery - plug it in, snap onto bracket - easy
(e) close upi dash - totally simple
(f) your done, unless you want to program the remote or turned off the power, then you must reprogram - simple, but lots of steps, maybe 10 min

This is so simple, my wife could have done it, certainly.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.