Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Strangest thing... seems like every time I turn around, my E is locked! Is anyone else with the keyless entry finding it locking itself? My dealer told me that if you hit the unlock button but don't open a door, 20 seconds later it will auto lock (not sure that is good or not). I doubt any button can be pressed while in my pocket but sure enough, I'll come out of work or my house after knowing I did NOT lock it and it will be locked... any thoughts?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Our CR-V does that, will lock itself after 30 seconds if no door is opened. And yes, the buttons sometimes get pressed while in pockets.

Just ordered the keyless for my E last night, but I would expect the same setup from it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ditto, same here. All this time I thought it was my problem only.

It definitely can be annoying, but I like the feature.

·
Registered
21 Posts
There are a number of past threads discussing this feature and its benefits/pitfalls. :lol:

·
Registered
93 Posts
I find that the buttons are very easily pressed while in your pocket. A few times it has been the panic button... I am sitting in my house thinking "why doesn't that idiot shut of his alarm? :oops: To find out it was my E in "panic" mode.

·
Registered
247 Posts
[quote:005e2d1032="Ramy"]I find that the buttons are very easily pressed while in your pocket. A few times it has been the panic button... I am sitting in my house thinking "why doesn't that idiot shut of his alarm? :oops: To find out it was my E in "panic" mode.[/quote:005e2d1032]
Umm, that happened to me at the dealership the other day. The dealer was like "you do know that's your Element that's panicing, right?" :oops:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mine doesn't lock automatically. But it is the most sensitive remote button I've seen.

For instance, this morning I went into my garage and saw the dome light on inside the car --- aaargh, I thought I'd left a door open and the battery would surely be dead, but no-o-o-o-o. When sticking the keys in my pocket, I'd obviously hit a button (or two). It's happened before.

·
Registered
97 Posts
the remote is sooo sensitive and the buttons are sooo big, how can you NOT lock it when you put it in your pocket. Fortunately the unlock button is fairly small, or that would pose a problem. Those keys are WAYYY to big BTW, especially since I have the gas cap key on the same ring!

But I love the sensitivity. If I forget to lock after I park, I don't have to walk all the way back to check.

·
Registered
23 Posts
This is so funny as it just happened to me two days ago. I was walking to my car in my office parking lot and heard it honking. When I stopped walking it stopped honking! I started walking again and it started honking with every step I took. I finally realized it was my spare remote in my purse that was bumping into me with every stride!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
[quote:7cf759c354="possumlady"]This is so funny as it just happened to me two days ago. I was walking to my car in my office parking lot and heard it honking. When I stopped walking it stopped honking! I started walking again and it started honking with every step I took. I finally realized it was my spare remote in my purse that was bumping into me with every stride!![/quote:7cf759c354]

That's hilarious. I can just picture that happening to me. Maybe they'll use it in a movie.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I think it would of been nice if Honda used VW technology incorporating the key within a square keyless/security system. All you have to do is push a button and the key pops out like a switch blade.

I do not like Honda's big azz key with the keyless system next to it on my keychain :roll: I was lucky i got an after market keyless leather pouch so the 2 won't rub on each other.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just traded a VW Passat in on my E. The remote with the "switchblade" key was great. The new Accord has an all in one key and remote where the buttons for the locks etc. are in the top plastic part of the key, does anyone know if this can be made to work with the Element keyless entry system?

8)

·
Registered
351 Posts
[quote:07933653aa="mentele"]I just traded a VW Passat in on my E. The remote with the "switchblade" key was great. The new Accord has an all in one key and remote where the buttons for the locks etc. are in the top plastic part of the key, does anyone know if this can be made to work with the Element keyless entry system?

8)[/quote:07933653aa]

Nope, the Accord key doesn't work. I got one when I ordered the keyless entry. I thought I could use the "key chip" out of the valet key if the remote worked. I tried programming it for two days. No good.

I agree, the VW key is way cool.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I hate this Keyless Remote system. The auto locking BS has to go.

I have a Van and it's great, we go to the beach a lot and we point it out front and unlock the van - set the keys down and go out to get stuff in. With the Element, it's locked by the time you get there. There is no combination to hit to leave it unlocked.

They made this car for the Great Outdoors and advertised it as such and then they stuck this Keyless Entry system on for Alcatraz.

I know of no other vehicle with this BS auto locking system.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My VW did the same thing, you hit unlock and it re-locked itself in thirty seconds. What was worse is that if you unlocked it, then opened the trunk it wouldn't deactive the security system, so the alarm would go off when the car re-locked itself!

8)

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
I saw that happen to a girl in a VW Jetta at my neighborhood gas station last week. She'd finished paying, got into her car and sat there a little while without starting it, (checking her cell phone messages, I suspect), and all by itself, her car went berserk! She had to start it, drive away from the pumps into a parking stall, and start whatever process VW's require all over again to make the damn thing shut the hell up. I was spell-bound by the drama of it all!

At least my Element doesn't exhibit such uncouth behavior! Yeah, I've been stretching into the back to close my rear sunroof, and wondered who the hell else has air horns in my neighboorhood, and sheepishly realized when I got out and saw my OWN lights flashing, that something on my keyring was pushing the panic button on my own fob (in my pocket)! I've rearranged keys and other non-essential stuff on my keyring(s) several times to achieve a less panic-prone "alignment".

But I'm not upset being "locked out" because I didn't open a door within some "predetermined elapsed time". Just push the button again, or use the friggin' key! Doh! As usual, if an electronic device appears to "act" intelligently, some people are greatly perturbed because the device doesn't literally read their minds, and somehow know "what it is" you want it to do next! (How can it "know" what you, specifically expect/demand of it?)

This is "just" a Honda. The remote keyless entry only costs a few bucks over $100. It's not gonna do your laundry and take out the trash, while patting you on the back for making such a great car choice. :cry: Oh boohoo!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have to agree, Honda got it wrong on this one, my wife's Jetta "switch blade" is great and I have NEVER had any of the buttons hit by mistake in my pocket... opposite on the Honda version.

It is a joke that you have to press the button and then open a door inside 20 seconds or it relocks itself. I wonder if there is a similar combination of control settings to reprogram it similar to the one that turns on the green AC light when you move the dial to either DEF positions. This is another "oops" by Honda, that the AC comes on but does not indicate it and worse yet, after you move off the DEF setting, the AC stays ON albeit in stealth (gas sucking) mode!

·
Registered
421 Posts
In my opinion, it is added intelligence built in by Honda. If it's as easy as stated in other posts to accidentally hit panic mode, it's as easy to unintentially unlock the E.

I think it's great that my E is intelligent enough to think, "Hmmm he unlocked me but didn't open a door within a reasonable time, so I might have been unlocked unintentionally. I'll go ahead and lock myself again just to be on the safe side, rather than sit here unlocked and vulnerable."

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Wow, this is such a difficult issue to deal with. While I don't like "things" that assume they're smarter than me, it's really easy to trick a "smart-a** Honda. Just push the master unlock button on the driver's door, and it will remain unlocked. If you're too lazy to go to the vehicle to do this, maybe it's YOU with the problem; not the vehicle. Just imagine what it was like for your parents or grandparents, who never had remote keyless entry, you whining children! They actually had to touch the vehicle to make it do anything, can you believe it!? If it really bothers you that much, maybe you actually bought the wrong car, since other vehicles apparently "think" the way you do. That doesn't make your way of thinking CORRECT, though! It's just your way of thinking. And you're welcome to it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts