Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I drive a 2009 Element and recently had to replace the keyless entry receiver. It took all of 3 minutes and the programming was super simple. I related this to my friend who drives a 2003 Element. His key locks on both sides of the car have been out of service for years. He used to go in through the tailgate, but now he just leaves it unlocked... but people have gone through his car several times as a result. I told him that for $120 he could get the keyless entry module and 2 fobs. I told him that since the unit is so easy to access, he should bring his Element over and we could test with my unit before he made the purchase. When I got under the dash I could not find the green connector. There were other, unused connectors there, but none that are the right size for the keyless entry units.

I checked online to see if the units were different back in 2003, and it seems that might be the case. However, the connector looks the same to me. My friend bought his Element new back in 2003 and didn't pay for the keyless entry at that time. The bracket is there for the unit, but not the wires (that I could find). Do they just not run the wires if the option isn't chosen at the time of sale?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I added the box many years ago to our 2003 2WD EX with side air bags model. The wiring and connector were already there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Jack,

I've got an 07 Element EX and curious why you replaced the keyless entry?

Mine just started acting up in the last 2 days and with 218 k miles on it wonder if it has just worn out and I need to replace it remotes and receiver?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jack,

I've got an 07 Element EX and curious why you replaced the keyless entry?

Mine just started acting up in the last 2 days and with 218 k miles on it wonder if it has just worn out and I need to replace it remotes and receiver?
I don't have the answer to why. The receiver was the least probable cause, and the most expensive fix, so i exhausted the other options first. The order I would go with when troubleshooting:

1) Replace battery in remote(s).
2) Reset the receiver by pulling out the fuse for a 20 seconds and putting it back. The fuse is under the hood, fuse #9. WARNING: this fuse also takes power away from the stereo. If it's a factory stereo, you will need to have the security code to unlock it after the reset.
3) Buy new remotes and try programming them. I got them on amazon for like $25-$30. They were easy (and free) to return when it turned out I didn't need them.
4) If none of the above works, then it's time to replace the receiver. The one i purchased came with 2 remotes, and was around $120.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts