Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My element is a 2005 LX that did not come with keyless entry or key fobs. I have been interested in getting keyless entry since I bought my E 2 years ago, and after recently learning about door locks commonly failing I have been more motivated to get a keyless entry module to save the door locks from wearing down and eventually needing to be replaced.

So in doing some research it seems like you can get a keyless entry system with the module and fobs on amazon for $140, and after looking under my steering column it appears that I have the correct green port and mounting bracket to accept the module, basically plug and play so to speak.

However, I also have been playing around with the idea of having a remote starter. Mostly just for the novelty of it. It would come in handy sometimes I'm sure, but really what I'm wanting to know is:

1) is the keyless entry I've found the best option? I value reliability and understand you get what you pay for, but if there's a more affordable and reliable option out there I'd like hear any suggestions.

2) Will my selection of keyless entry affect the ability to get a remote starter?

3) Or is there an option to get keyless entry with the remote starter all in one "bundle?"

I know the two need to communicate with each other, but I'm no expert in electronics, so I don't know if it would make more sense to get these features in tandem, or if it doesn't really matter? Also, I can't seem to find a remote starter kit for elements specifically but I haven't done as much research into those. I wouldn't know how to make one myself so this might be a mute point and I'll just get the keyless entry on it's own and call it a day. Just want to be informed before making any decisions. Thanks for reading my first (lengthy) post on here, I'm happy to be a part of the element owners club! Any and all info or help is appreciated!

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Since you're not an "electronics expert", I'd suggest that you go for the OEM keyless entry system which IS plug-n-play and forego the remote starting system which can get involved and complicated. For that, you'd need to locate and tap in to a lot of wires in various spots plus add a module to defeat the transponder in the ignition switch.

On the plus side - defeating that transponder allows you to use cheaper "practice keys" instead of paying $100 or more per key.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just did a remote start install on a 2005 Honda Element EX AWD. I installed a Computer 1900-S with an ads-blade-tb for immobilizer bypass. There are 2 main harnesses right under the steering wheel where you get the majority of the wires that you have to splice into. For $5, the wirecolor.com photos and diagrams on the Honda Element harnesses were helpful in finding exactly what wires I needed to tap into. The single button remote for this remote start is nice. 1 click is lock, 2 clicks is unlock, and you hold the button for 3 seconds to remote start.

Compustar 1900-S:Amazon.com: Compustar CS1900-S All-in-One 2-Way Remote Start Bundle: Home Audio & Theater
ADS Blade TB: Amazon.com: OEM BLADETB Integration: Blade Transponder Bypass Cartridge-Model: ADS Blade-TB: trustusonline

·
Registered
4 Posts
My element is a 2005 LX that did not come with keyless entry or key fobs. I have been interested in getting keyless entry since I bought my E 2 years ago, and after recently learning about door locks commonly failing I have been more motivated to get a keyless entry module to save the door locks from wearing down and eventually needing to be replaced.

So in doing some research it seems like you can get a keyless entry system with the module and fobs on amazon for $140, and after looking under my steering column it appears that I have the correct green port and mounting bracket to accept the module, basically plug and play so to speak.

However, I also have been playing around with the idea of having a remote starter. Mostly just for the novelty of it. It would come in handy sometimes I'm sure, but really what I'm wanting to know is:

1) is the keyless entry I've found the best option? I value reliability and understand you get what you pay for, but if there's a more affordable and reliable option out there I'd like hear any suggestions.

2) Will my selection of keyless entry affect the ability to get a remote starter?

3) Or is there an option to get keyless entry with the remote starter all in one "bundle?"

I know the two need to communicate with each other, but I'm no expert in electronics, so I don't know if it would make more sense to get these features in tandem, or if it doesn't really matter? Also, I can't seem to find a remote starter kit for elements specifically but I haven't done as much research into those. I wouldn't know how to make one myself so this might be a mute point and I'll just get the keyless entry on it's own and call it a day. Just want to be informed before making any decisions. Thanks for reading my first (lengthy) post on here, I'm happy to be a part of the element owners club! Any and all info or help is appreciated!
I have a 2006 Element, also with no keyless entry or remote start. I have done a lot of research and from what I've read if you really don't know what you're doing, have it professionally installed. Groupon & Living Social runs deals frequently. I'm getting both installed next week with one 4-button key fob that will start & unlock for $300 (including bypass). I could have got it installed for less, $149 for just the remote start, but the location was not convenient. Whew, my post was long too. 😉

1 - 4 of 4 Posts