Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone installed a remote starter for the element yet? What is your setup? Planning to do mine soon.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
by installing a remote start with key less entry I saved 400.0 over the security and keyless. ( If you have an imobilizer, why do you need an alarm?) They use one of your three keys to install the remote. The chip in the key pulses to the computer allowing the car to start. Honda does not make a remote start in Canada so the use aftermarket. The dealer was only 50.00 more than the stereo shop and there was less waiting. I have not had problems with either the keyless or the starter.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Can the dealership install this for you before you buy the car, or do you have to buy it seperately later?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes, dealer can (and will!) install keyless entry and remote combined; my dealer charged someting like $300 for the combination. I've had an aftermarket remote starter in a different vehicle, which was nearly $200 to install, so I thought this deal wasn't bad.

I haven't taken delivery of the new Element yet...they say perhaps this coming week. I'll be happy to post again once I play with the keyless & remote! 8)

·
Registered
608 Posts
boneheadz,

The reason you need an alarm is to anoy the people living close to you.

Actually, it can help with insurance. They take money off for an audible alarm. While most people here in NY don't pay attention to it, the money you can save off the insurance can be more than you pay for the alarm. :D

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does anybody carry these besides dealers? I would like to install myself. Have had a terrible experience with my dealer thus far and would to stay far away from them.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I don't know where you are from, but most stereo shop carry and install them. I suggest you shop for best price and maybe buy in the summer when the are cheap.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Many places such as Target, and the like carry the alarm and remote starters, as does places like Pep boys and other car supply stores. Places like Best buy, and Circut City also carry them.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have a remote starter/alarm/keyless entry on my old car that I would like to get switched to my E. I bought mine from hh Gregg. They told me it would cost an extra 50.00 for installation since I have the coded keys (210.00 just to switch it over!). So if anyone here knows how to install an aftermarket one, let me know! My husband should be able to do it if he had instructions.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had my Keyless/Remote removed from my CRV when I traded it in but the installer said I couldn't use it on the E because of the coded key and space (charged $30 to remove and had said $100 to install in new). Have to buy a new system, need similar direction. I am an electrical engineer so I know a thing or two about the electrical setup, just need to know wiring details of the security harnesses of the E because I might want to customize the system since I might be doing it. Don't want to buy a new system and pay for installation (quoted $350 for both), spent most of my money to purchase the E.

Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts