Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wow, right when I posted that the UPS man knocked on my door. That was a long wait! And it is so small. They couldn't put that standard on the EX models?

·
Registered
424 Posts
My true story.......

When i got my keyless installed by my dealer, he asked if my car was an LX? I said no, it was the top of the line EX model and it dosen't come in LX either. He said, if it is then it should of came at the factory :?

·
Registered
247 Posts
I didn't unplug mine either, ... it's a quick (like one second) snap to install the thingie, so I didn't see the point of having to reprogram the radio and window.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I suppose there may be a minor danger of electric shock when attaching the device under the dash. I risked it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I disconnected my battery for the Keyless Entry Installation, following the "better safe than sorry" rule. I waited to re-program the radio until I installed the security system, which followed a few days later.

If only Honda would have designed the radio memory with a back-up battery to preserve the settings during service work. That reprogramming thing can get old real quick.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I was too impatient to disconnect the battery, but didn't have any problems. I get the feeling the disconnect the battery thing is just to get the procedure to take longer than 3 minutes. That way it doesn't look as bad whent the dealer charges 70 bucks or whatever.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I was kinda impressed that the official Honda instructions have the tech write down the presets to reset the radio for the customer after reconnecting the battery -- never thought it might be a way to bill more labor! :D

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, what is that beep!?! If you open your doors quick enough after you unlock them with the keyless, there is a short beep followed by a long beep...what is that and how do I get rid of it?!?

·
Registered
22 Posts
The beep is the headlight / parking light beeper. The lights flash to give you visual cue that the door(s) have been locked or unlocked. The system for the lights detects that there is no key in the ignition and thus the beep.
It beeps continuously if you turn your lights on and remove the ignition key.
I really don't think that you want to get rid of it as its real purpose is to keep you from draining your battery. 8)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh, so when the lights flash when you lock/unlock the car the beep beeps! That is gonna drive me crazy! :D Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
247 Posts
The easy solution to this is to hit the UNLOCK button from a further distance so you're not already inside of the car when it turns on/off the headlights. hehe :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have a 2003 ex and i just got my keyless sent by hand-a accessories. i looked at element-j pictures but my dash seems to be connected to the body of the center console and does not easily drop down. is this happening to anyone else out there? i replaced the cover as i did not want to force it down lest if pull the center console body away from its moorings.

any advice or do i now have to go to the dealer?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Are you talking about the panel that pops off with the two big plastic screws? I had a little trouble getting it loose but it did finally come off...try pushing it back in and pulling it out from the side that you are having trouble getting to detach first.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Even after you turn the screw-things clockwise, there are still 6 retaining clips holding it on.. Mine took a slight tug to get out. Have you seen the PDF instructions that're on Handa's site?

·
Registered
97 Posts
[quote:765c73b8d7="mamasan"]i have a 2003 ex and i just got my keyless sent by hand-a accessories. i looked at element-j pictures but my dash seems to be connected to the body of the center console and does not easily drop down. is this happening to anyone else out there? i replaced the cover as i did not want to force it down lest if pull the center console body away from its moorings.

any advice or do i now have to go to the dealer?[/quote:765c73b8d7]

If you are trying to open the center console to install your keyless unit, you are way off! The door is to the left of the console, more under the steering wheel area. I have an EX also. It wasn't difficult at all. Just turn the two knobs to release the plastic cover and pull it down. Get a flashlight and look high up on the left side for the bolt hole and module mounting area. The cable is nearby (wrapped in blue tape if I remember correctly). Just unwrap a little and plug it in. Very easy. You shouldn't have to program it either. Mine worked right out of the box. Good luck.

·
Registered
87 Posts
i did disconnect it :roll:
but it is a easy diy :D
and the keyless entry is free from dealer as i negotiated and
insisted if not..then i am not buying element
so they ended up give me the parts only
and i know installation is a piece of cake :D

·
Registered
51 Posts
From what I've read, almost nobody disconnected their battery for keyless install, as it's a quick snap-in piece. The chance fr electrical shock is pretty much slim to none, as there is almost no way of missing. The hardest part was taking off the cover, which required a bit more force than I was comfortable with (although the force required to remove the steering wheel was a LOT more, and I was VERY uncomfortable with doing that). I also sort of screwed up, because I read the instructions, then went out and tried to wing it. I put the keyless unit where the alarm unit is supposed to snap in, but since I don't think I'll ever get the alarm, I don't care.

Oz

1 - 20 of 33 Posts