Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has a 1994 Honda Accord and when she starts to drive, the doors automatically lock. My dealer just installed my keyless/alarm system but when i start to drive, my doors will not lock! Is this a function i should of gotton or not? Did the dealer goof ?

·
Registered
195 Posts
The factory-made keyless doesn't lock the doors when you start the car. If your dealer was backordered on the keyless, they may have been able to offer you the Viper version (which I have) that does lock/unlock the doors with the ignition. That's really the only difference between the two systems, other than that the Viper system doesn't honk the horn when you lock the car or set off the panic.

Drew

·
Registered
76 Posts
The system on your wifes Accord is an aftermarket unit. No Honda unit does this. We get many customers at work that ask about this and we have to tell tham that this isnt our unit.

·
Registered
88 Posts
[quote:450f3186a3="Drew"]That's really the only difference between the two systems, other than that the Viper system doesn't honk the horn when you lock the car or set off the panic.[/quote:450f3186a3]

The horn honking thing is a programmable part of the Viper system. Mine DID honk the horn on arming, which I did not like. Took it back to the shop that the Dealer subbed it out to for install and had them reprogram the system. Now, when I press button "I" for arm, no horn. If I do want the horn to honk, I press button "II" first, then button "I" and it confirms.

It was also set so that when I disarmed, ALL the doors unlocked and I reallyl didn't like that. Had that reprogrammed also so that only the driver's door unlocks at button "I" disarm. If I want the rest to open, I subsequently hold button "II" for 2 seconds and the rest open up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Don't know if this is the right thread, but could use a little help. My son says that when he had the keys in the ignition and he ran to help a friend the car doors locked! I am not sure if the car was running or not?

Any ideas on what could be up?

We have the system where the horn goes when we lock.

Thank you.

The dealer always says bring it in....for $$$$$

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
Don't know if this is the right thread, but could use a little help. My son says that when he had the keys in the ignition and he ran to help a friend the car doors locked! I am not sure if the car was running or not?

Thank you.

That must be an aftermarket keyless/alarm system. The Honda OEM keyless
entry system/alarm system does NOT auto lock your doors. That or hit the
lock button on the remote. Maybe the remote was in his pocket and just
the key was in the ignition??

My guess is aftermarket parts. You will need to find out make and model to
get some real help. Im just guessing here.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts

Thank you.

Is it possible that your son accidentally pushed down the lock tab on the door on his way out?

The door locks also have an auto-lock feature, where if you unlock the door with the remote, but don't open it, the door will lock again in 30 seconds automatically. Some sequence of key/door/lock that your son did may have set that off somehow. I'd wait and see if this happens more than once, before spending $$$ at the dealership for them to troubleshoot.

You also say your horn goes when you lock the door with the remote. On one press of the button, or two? If on two, then sounds like just the Honda OEM system. If on one, then you have an aftermarket alarm system, and anybody's guess what it is set up to do (and the Dealership will be no help). If that's the case take it to an independent alarm installer for them to look at.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts