Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a disturbing Kia Soul commercial last night. And it kept referencing a "toaster" like vehicle, and of course I thought of the Element. So I had to show you guys, just in case you haven't seen it yet. Apparently it's very new, so hopefully this isn't a re-post.

Rapping hamsters.... what is the world coming to? Why hamsters?

http://www.motorward.com/2010/05/video-kia-soul-rapping-hamsters-commercial/

I like the Soul, but I love the Element :)

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
ALL of the "other vehicle" insults are directed at the box-style SUVs being marketed to Gen Y'ers, such as the E, Scion xB and Cube. "Toaster", "appliance" and "refrigerator box" have historically been derisive descriptions of the genre, the toaster particularly aimed at the E.

I happen to appreciate decent rap, but the "gangsta" theme in commercials is becoming overplayed and just annoying. When Madison Avenue finally gets around to stealing a trend theme trying to portray "youthful relevance", I've got news for em - it's no longer cool. :|

·
Registered
617 Posts
ALL of the "other vehicle" insults are directed at the box-style SUVs being marketed to Gen Y'ers, such as the E, Scion xB and Cube. "Toaster", "appliance" and "refrigerator box" have historically been derisive descriptions of the genre, the toaster particularly aimed at the E.

I happen to appreciate decent rap, but the "gangsta" theme in commercials is becoming overplayed and just annoying. When Madison Avenue finally gets around to stealing a trend theme trying to portray "youthful relevance", I've got news for em - it's no longer cool. :|

the XB, Cube and Soul arent SUV's, or even cross-overs. Why is the element even compared to these compact passenger cars? None of these cars even offer a 4 wheel or all wheel drive flavor.

The element IS a crossover just like its non-maternal twin the CR-V. Anytime someone compares terrence the element with an XB, Cube or soul, they get beeotch slapped!

Ill even go a step further and say the soul and xb shouldnt even be compared to eachother. My buddy has a soul and its more like the XD than the XB in interior and exterior size/room.

When did comparisons stray from comperable vehicles in dimensions, equipment, options and go to comparison by basic shapes?? Kinda retarded in my opinion.

So, anyone who compares their Element to an XB, Cube or Soul....SHAME ON YOU!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Marketing firms/people and cool, hmmmm.

Nope, can't see it. The 2 are mutually exclusive for the most part.

When I think of marketing types, I get a mental image of Herb Tarlek of "WKRP in Cinncinati" fame.

I ask you, was he cool?

Still, you have to have something to compare your product to in the commercials, and it is perceived as better if your product is compared to something less than desireable to get your point across.

I like the Soul, the Scion Xb, the Cube, and the E. I am a "square" kind of guy and they all just "move something inside me"...

·
Registered
510 Posts
mmmmm 31mpg thats tasty... no 4wd model though so its a no go.

·
Registered
680 Posts
So, I am watching the NBA finals and I see the commercial, and of course I did a double take...I was going to post it but I see someone else posted it...:lol:
So, I dont really care about the KIA Soul...I really liked the commercial and I like Black Sheep( You can get wit this or Your can get wit That) but I am really happy with my Element and the Element is so much better.

btw, I see so many E's around town lately...but no one has EOC sticker, but all with their own bumper stickers

·
Registered
133 Posts
My theory:
Toaster=Element/XB/Rogue
Washing machine=Cube
Cardboard box=Versa/Fit/Matrix/Yaris/Xa/Xd/Mini/Smart/Golf/etc./etc. ...

My rating of the "Soul of a guinea pig" commercials:
Concept: C-
Execution: B+

Cheers,
John

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
That is Awesome..but I miss the SockMonkey....That Monkey can do anything....:lol:

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
When the Hamsters get tired, they always leave the set in this..... Same thing with the Sock Monkey, teddybear, One Eyed Creature and the blockhead....:lol:

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
I don't have TV, so I can't say... but... when was the last time that Honda did an ad for the Element? I was at the dealership a couple weeks ago, and they didn't even have glossy sheets for the Element in their literature rack.

In my case, I'd been looking at something that could haul things and was easy to park and had good headroom. I was looking at the Fit, although it was too small, and has no road clearance. Then I came across a two year old Element with 15,000 miles on it for about the same price as a brand new Fit... no comparison.

Sure, I'd like to see Honda invest in the Element's mechanicals. But I'd like to see Honda invest 1/10 of what it would take to redesign the Element in the Element lifestyle.... commercialize a few of the mods (the camping packages some of the folks on EOC have made for themselves would be easy to roll out), offer more flavors (like the dog element), maybe come out with a Honda Element tailgate package.

Oh... and when my son (he's 7) saw the E, his first words were, "Daddy, you got a boxer car". Ever since then, we've called it the Boxer Car.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I think both commercials that Kia put out for the Soul are...

GRRRRRRREEEEEEAAAAATTTTT!

Get off your Element High Horse!

It's advertising! and they were great commercials!

Ed.
Ed,
Nothing about this product of an ad agency is going to get me out of my Element. It is advertising. It's a commercial. The Kia Soul won't do it either.
As recent car commercials go, let alone Honda Element commercials, it is relatively amusing. Maybe they should run these spots with Saturday morning cartoons.
That crowd will buy them in large numbers.;-)
Different strokes for different folks.
Cheers!
John8)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree with HellBent34

I love my E. It is it's own creature. After going to the last EOC annual meet in Columbus, Ohio I loved all the different things we said about our beloved cars. Seeing stickers saying "Dont laugh. You've just been passed by a Toaster". I got such a kick out of them. To have an E is to be unique. And to be unique you need to have a little thick skin. So, I take the hampster ad as a badge of honor because "I am DAMN PROUD TO BE A TOASTER DRIVER!!!!!"

·
Registered
2 Posts
We thought about getting a Soul -- but we picked the Element!

Just saw the "toaster" commercial and definitely picked up on the Element reference -- My husband and I seriously thought about getting a Soul, he even test drove one, but we ended up getting an Element! You can't fit two CANE CORSOs and one BULLMASTIFF in the back of a Soul -- (even though the Kia salesman said we could bring them in and see if they fit . . .) but you could probably fit three HAMSTERS in there!! Our dogs LOVE our Element -- plenty of room for all of us. And my husband says the stereo system in our Element sounds much better than the one in the Soul, even though the speakers don't have flashing lights on them. :roll:

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
I would NEVER want a Kia Soul, but I absolutely love the commercials! In fact, it looks like it would be "COOL" to hang out with hamsters!!! :razz:

Chief

1 - 20 of 36 Posts