Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Folks,
Like "Built B16A", I decided that I wanted to replace my factory EX subwoofer. I know there are many treads/posts on here that are similar, but i thought i would share as well. This is what i have thus far...
I used nut and bolts to ensure that the sub wouldnt vibrate loose and used epoxy to lock the nut to the threads

Kicker recomends that this sub be used in a sealed box so i had to seal up the port on the factory box. I used some of the plastic that was cut off from the port and shaped it to seal the hole perfectly - LOTS of epoxy (rated for high pressure). and just to add comfort, i then put a very thick layer of black 5200 (this also added some asthetics - not that anyone is going to see it, but hey, i know its there, lol

and thats where i am for now. i'm still trying to see where i want to set my infinity 1300a 300 watt mono amp. its pretty big, i didnt anticipate it being so. oh well. I'll keep you guys and gals posted as i complete more...thanks for viewing!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
stage two?

so i started laying the dynamat. i just pre-cut the shapes and placed it in. i used a heat gun to ensure a good bond with the dynamant. guess i'm done with this part, at least...i'm happy with it. next i gotta get some poly-fill to cram in here and put it all together! BOOM BOOM BOOM!! yeah right, lol. i'm just excited to hear how it will sound...

this is me just "placing" it to make sure it fits

here, i have it all pressed and heated in

now, if i could just decide on a place to put the amp, oh well...

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Its kind of a PITA to run the wires but just above the rear compartments in the back is a great place to mount amps. Keeps em off the floor and still out of the way enough that the seats can fold up.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LMntGuy1982
thanks for the reply, i think that is where i will be putting the amp. its what another friend rec. too. i'm just so anal sometimes, lol

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
cvt install

well, here we go...so i finally finished with the dynamat. now time to button up the enclosure. i went and picked up some polyfill (and imagine this - they didnt have any / so i just bought a pillow and pulled the stuffing out, lol-its the same stuff). I jam packed the polyfill and closed her up...

the OEM set up had a rubber grommet that the wires ran out of so i reused it.

i sealed it up with some clear vinyl adhesive caulk (i know, it looks white - it'll dry clear though). i would have used epoxy, but i ran out when i sealed up the port/no biggy).

Well, she's all ready for install. once i start putting my amp in, i'll document it all here with more pics...

·
Registered
572 Posts
looks framilure.. haha

nice job.

i too used sound dampening inside the box, don't know if it helped acustically, but sure gave the box more thickness, and strength.. i can't see that hurting it at all.

i used a thicker 12ga speaker wire, i couldn't use the grommet, i just filled it with calking.

im putting 200rms to that sub.. and it does will, but won't hit that 40hz or lower bass.. its more of a high hz sub.. im pretty pleased with how mine turned out, but isn't enough most of the time, i have a 10" in the back for the bass urges. lol

nice work.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Built B16A

Built B16A -
Like i said in the original thread, i'm just doing this mod like yours. i printed up your thread and i have been following it all along,:D
I spoke with my brother about the dynamat in the box (he does car stereos in nashville) and he said that was a good move.
i'm a little apprehensive about the wiring though (since i'm using the factory stereo). oh well:confused:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the project has stopped

well guys and gals, i've decided to stop where i'm at. this set up is for sale now if you like. I have posted the details in the trading post.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
you may want to pull some of that poly fill out of the box before actually installing it. there looks to be WAY too much in there.

·
Registered
112 Posts
well guys and gals, i've decided to stop where i'm at. this set up is for sale now if you like. I have posted the details in the trading post.
Where can i get a copy of your detailed plans? i really like this set up and would like to try it.

how did it sound in the end? How many watts are you running to it?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Where can i get a copy of your detailed plans? i really like this set up and would like to try it.

how did it sound in the end? How many watts are you running to it?
never ran it, i only tested it off of my buddies amp before i decided to sell it (in order to make sure it worked - and it did.) we put 300 watts and it sounded great!

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
:razz:Just ordered the EX sub box and cover today from another member & have the kicker on order, i will try to replicate the above here and post installed pix !

Wish my luck!

(digging up and old thread vs starting a new duplicate!)

·
Registered
13 Posts
can it hook up to the factory amp

I bought that sub but i was wondering can it hook up to one of the factory amp inputs that were used on the stock sub or because its 4 ohms it will overload the amp?

·
Registered
13 Posts
nevermind

i found the answer on another thread, its all hooked up and installed. Sounds good, i'd definitely recommend this sub as a stock replacement, sounds good even with the factory amp

·
Registered
13 Posts
sounds great!

I did the same install and continued to power the sub with the factory amp and it sounded great. I have a Kenwood ddx 616 HU and it works the sub. Ill post my pictures soon

1 - 20 of 22 Posts