Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've had my Element for over a year now. I'm moving across town in the next six months and will have a 25 mile commute...

I am planning to sell my Element to a friend (keeping it with good people :) but I can't decide which way I should go.

Insight? I want an EX in white. Also, I might be able to shop for one with a friend and get a good deal on it because there are two buyers.
Prius? I'd have to go used because of the price...
Civic coupe? Really cute, good highway mileage.
VW TDI Golf? I've stayed away from VW in the past, but like the diesel option.

What would you guys do?

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
I have test driven the Insight and would never buy one. Not impressed with it at all. The only reason I was even in one was because my wife wanted to test drive it. She also didn't like it.

The Civic coupe is a fun car, we test drove that as well. She thought it was too small to get with a newborn. She ended up buying the CR-V.

Agree with you that the Prius is too expensive for what you are getting. I think I read that you would need to own a Prius 7-10 yrs for the added savings on fuel before it would begin to pay off at current prices.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
12,179 Posts
If you really want a hybrid and want to stay in the Honda family i would look at the Civic hybrid. I have driven it back to back with the hybrid and the Civic has a better feel to it over all.

·
Registered
599 Posts
If you really want a hybrid and want to stay in the Honda family i would look at the Civic hybrid. I have driven it back to back with the hybrid and the Civic has a better feel to it over all.
I'd go one step further with this sentiment and check out the Accord Hybrid. I drove one in '07 and it was a friggin blast. The Accord Hybrid actually has more getupandgo than the EX V6 plus the mileage is really good, not quite Insight good but better than the petrol Civic. If you go back a few years they're pretty reasonably priced, actually better than a Prius of the same vintage but it's bigger and better appointed.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I'd go one step further with this sentiment and check out the Accord Hybrid. I drove one in '07 and it was a friggin blast. The Accord Hybrid actually has more getupandgo than the EX V6 plus the mileage is really good, not quite Insight good but better than the petrol Civic. If you go back a few years they're pretty reasonably priced, actually better than a Prius of the same vintage but it's bigger and better appointed.
Trouble there is the Accord Hybrid didn't sell well, and Honda quit making them a couple years ago. Finding one might be tricky.

Go look at the Fusion Hybrid, which drives like a real car and actually has some go when you need it, but gets 41 mpg according to the EPA. It has a beautiful interior, too, especially the LCD gauge cluster with the leaves that show how efficiently you're driving.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
A little late to the party here...

I have a Civic Hybrid ('06, which is the current platform), and have driven the Insight and the Prius. I hated both of the latter. The Insight was cramped and the view out the back was horrible. It also made zero sense that here was a smaller car with significantly poorer fuel economy than the Civic I already had. I told the salesman point blank that my three-year-old Civic was a much better car all around and I would be insane to change.

The Prius was/is cramped, too expensive and not at all comfortable for anything other than local commuting. I also despise Toyota's "video game" approach to the dash display, which seems to be a corporate affliction across their hybrid line. Give me basic gauges and a little bit of feedback about efficiency, but take the computer display and over-the-top graphics and modal soft controls and stuff it somewhere. Immensely distracting. :x

The Fusion Hybrid is also way too expensive. Yes, the Hybrid may be trimmed-out nicely, but out the door at $30K is about $5K too much for a platform that starts under 20K in the non-hybrid. I don't buy much into "luxury trim", it's money poured down the toilet that doesn't get you from A to B.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts