Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple months ago, I pulled away from rest and heard a clunk from the back of the car, it was repeated as I changed gear so I thought it was some unstable cargo sloshing about in the back. After a couple days I emptied out the back of the car and it continued. I then took the seats out. And the interior trim on the right side but still the noise continues. Various friends who've layed on the floor while I drive around say it sounds like a piece of metal flopping back and fourth against metal.

Imagine if you will a peice of steel 2in square by 1/2in thick, now stand it up in the middle of a steel box about 2in long and move sideways fast enough to make the lump fall and hit the side, move the other way so it hits the other side and repeat with all sudden acceleration/decelerations of the car. It does it in first, second and reverse gears or if driving jerkily in any gear. Its an '07 SC standard.

I've stuck my hands fingers into every panel I can get at and I can't find anything. Latest suspect is a box section of chasis just to right of spare wheel well but it only has small holes in so I can't feel around inside more than a finger length. Hmm, I wonder how much an endoscope costs? Seriously, this is driving me (and my passengers) BANANAS! Help. :?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Check the sway bar bushings and sway bar links. Also do a search for "Compliance Bushings" and check them too.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I had the same noise and it turned out to be a shock going bad. Check and see if you have any oil leaking out from the seal at the top and if so it will cause a clunking and popping noise from air getting into the shock. Also look at the exhaust bushings and give the exhaust system a shake to see if it makes the noise.

·
Registered
338 Posts
mmm; when i heard a rear clunking from my element, someone told me to have the rear differential fluid change---- it worked for me problem solved rear clunking went away.... yours is a 4wd model correct??

1 - 4 of 4 Posts