Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All-
This is my first time posting after many years on the boards. I usually find my answers researching thanx to all the great folks on this site. I have a 2005 E EX AWD. The problem I, nor my dealership are able to solve and it's driving me nutz. I have a knocking problem. It happens when I first drive the car after it's been sitting for at least 3-4 hours or overnight. It happens on right and left turns of at least 70 degree turns or sharper. The odd part is after 2-3 turns(either way) the noise goes away, then you have to let it sit before you can hear it again. It's hard to diagnose when you only get 2 shots at trying to figure out where it's coming from and what could be its' cause. Both me and the dealership have been under the car several times over the past 6 months and replaced the sway bar bushings, sway bar links, front ty rod ends, control arm bushings, stabilizer links, all but cv joints have been replaced it seems. I also changed the diff fluid. It's even hard to tell from where the noise is coming from the front or back, hence why we replaced both front and back parts. If I was able to attach a sound file, I would. The only solution is to hopefully find another person that has had the same problem. Anyone?
Thanx for reading.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not an expert, but I know the CV joints will be silent in a straight line then make noise when you turn. It sounds like they are starting to go out. When I had CV' go out, the noise was like a clackety-clackety noise. If the noise gets worse/ more frequent you can be sure that's what it is.

I have also heard that E's are known for the diff's going out, and the symptoms would be similar.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you amosduncan for the reply. There's really nothing else it could be. It's just bizarre that the noise goes away after 2 turns. It's been the same for about a year now and gets more noticeable during the colder weather, kind of went away this past summer. You'd figure the dealership would know this?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts