Honda Element Owners Club banner

21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
The knock sensor is a bear to get at. I was only able to change mine from underneath the car. Removing the broken part from the connector will be just as challenging. You'll need long arms, small hands, and plenty of patience for both tasks. As a last resort, removing the manifold will give you much better access.
We did the starter by removing the manifold, so we can do that again. I'd like to try from underneath.

In another post I see you replaced yours. What tool did you use from underneath? A crescent? Strap wrench? Other?

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,897 Posts
Don't remember, frankly. A deep-well socket should work (use the replacement part to determine the size), though getting the wrench and socket into place with the manifold on will be challenging. An offset box-end wrench should also work, with the same limitation.

You may find that pulling the manifold again will actually save you grief in the long run.

·
Registered
486 Posts
If you can get enough slack in the knock sensor harness to allow access you may be able to drill a small hole in the broken piece of the sensor, then screw a self-tapping screw into it. That will give you something to pull on while you release the harness connector latch. Just don't drill too far. You might strike oil.

I have also seen people heat up a nail held in a pair of pliers then stick the nail into the plastic. After it cools use the nail as a handle. I have never tried that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
K series know sensor is a 17mm I believe, I just recently did this on my moms CRV and previously on my RSX. I had broken mine installing a starter as well.

Use a deep socket and a long extension for the socket, you need the joint that flexes as well because you will need to remove it from underneath. It really isnt that hard just sort of tricky because of the angle allowed and minimal space.

·
Registered
86 Posts
My car was fine until I brought it to the dealer to replace the airbags. When it was in they diagnosed a bad stabilizer bar and repaired it. Now when I make a left turn I hear a bang or knock the engine light is on and the code is knock sensor
Funny you mention that. My Dad's 2003 Element had the light come on today and I scanned it, Knock Sensor Fault. I replaced Starter in June and he had the airbag replaced by the Dealership in September. Related? Who knows.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm not sure what the problem is, but once more after I cleared the initial code, the next week my Dad told me the light came on briefly, but then turned off again. I checked the code and it was stored, but the check engine light was not on.

I ended up ordering an inexpensive knock sensor from a seller on Ebay. I paid $9.57 but now they have lowered the price to $7.99! http://www.ebay.com/itm/221263685696?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This is just a trial-and-error but it is cheap enough, so who cares. I don't know what the problem is, perhaps a faulty sensor. The plug and connection was tight and he has fueled up more than a few times, so I doubt that bad gas is to blame.

What I did was, remove the throttle body and the air intake rubber tube. I was able to access the knock sensor this way. You have more room through the side where the throttle body is, although I was able to sneak my other hand in between the power steering pump and the intake manifold. I used a deep well socket (1/2" drive) and then a 1/2" to 3/8" adapter, and then a 3/8" drive ratchet to loosen and then tighten the new knock sensor. This gave me plenty of room between the ratchet and the intake manifold.

I don't have tiny hands and I think that this method is far quicker and easier versus removing the intake manifold or "somehow" accessing the knock sensor from below. I looked from below and I couldn't even see it!

Just be careful not to drop any bolts or nuts from the throttle body. This Element is BY FAR the worse for "eating" dropped bolts. They just seem to disappear when they are dropped in the Element's engine compartment. Very frustrating to deal with on every repair that I perform. Honda Elements feast on dropped hardware!

·
Registered
20 Posts
code p0325(knock sensor) trouble shooting...???

i read another thread about the p0325 code with no real answers to fixing the issue(i tired to link i but it wont allow me to put links in since i barely post

Ive read how the connector is an issue. I got my hand under the intake to play with the wire. It was plugged in all the way.. I reset the code and it came back on in a couple minutes.

I bought a new knock sensor but im wondering if i can plug it in without removing the old one to make sure it will work if i replace it. I dont want to install it and have the dtc come back on and waste $60 bucks, napa wont return it if its used. so can i plug in the new one and check out the new sensor without screwing it in or does screing it in ground it so the sensor works correctly?

the starter was recently replaced is it possible the wire got pinched? it doesnt seem anyone has given an answer in the thread i linked above as to what the culprit is for the p0325 dtc

Im about to tackle this knock sensor along with replacing the top strut mounts to get rid of the creaking.. hopefully by the time im done with the top mount some one will hve responded about connecting the knock sensor without installing it.. here goes nothing

·
Registered
20 Posts
sigh

well, I installed the new sensor, found a way to take out the sensor with a socket and extensions straight with no angles(you loosen and tighten it in between the manifold and radiator fan(thats where the ratchet was, I used a 1/2" socket with 1/2" to 3/8 adapter to a 3/8 standard long length extenson to 3/8/" to 12" adapter and 1/2" ratchet- this combo makes the ratchet right outside the intake manifold without removing anything form the engine. tricky part is threading the sensor in. everything was good, just came home from dinner and the light came on, i scanned it, same damn thing p0325

help?? anyone??

·
Registered
124 Posts
I honestly can't say if this fixed mine, but just under a month ago, I came across a great deal on premium gas, and filled the element up. 30 miles into that tank, my light went off. Three tanks later and the light hasn't come back....

·
Registered
20 Posts
I honestly can't say if this fixed mine, but just under a month ago, I came across a great deal on premium gas, and filled the element up. 30 miles into that tank, my light went off. Three tanks later and the light hasn't come back....

I was wondering if it may be knocking slightly and needs a higher grade to clean it up a bit.. maybe some injector cleaner, sea foam..?
im wondering maybe i i need to ring this engine out a bit and clean up the carbon deposits maybe the element wasnt driven hard and has a lot of carbon build up

·
Registered
20 Posts
thinking about this, each engine runs its own way what if the ecu is close to too much advance or retard and making it knock? the ecu has a preloaded map for every engine and its the same so some run richer some run leaner and some maybe too close to knocking?

·
Registered
20 Posts
someone said they filled up with high octane(super) and the code went off after 30 miles? not sure if they changed the sensor or just put 93 in it but after filling with 93 it didnt come back on after that full tank

·
Registered
158 Posts
socket and ratchet wrench

I just recently replaced my knock sensor from underneath after the check enine light came on, and the knock sensor code was read. Apparently, it's a common problem with Elements.

I did not remove the intake manifold as it was unnecessary, but you certainly can do it that way. I used a deep six point socket and ratchet/bar to loosen the old defective sensor and fully removed it by hand once it was loose. The real challenge was to start the new thread on the new knock sensor because my hand wouldn't fit into the space required when it was holding the sensor; to start the new thread, I inserted a short length, say 5 cm, of plastic shrink wrap tubing extension that fit into the plastic electrical socket on the new sensor, so that I could start the thread by hand by placing and rotating the sensor by holding and turning the tube extension with my fingers. Then, after the threads were started, I removed the tube and screwed the new knock sensor into place hand tight with my fingers, and and then tightened to the final torque specification of 31 Nm with a torque wrench.

I'm sure that there are other ways to get the job done, but that's how I did it. Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Howdy...my 2003 Element ( 208K miles) started throwing an intermittent P3025. The check engine light went on and off for weeks ( months? ) and finally the light just stayed on.

I checked the Knock Sensor connector, cleaned it reconnected it ( what a pain to get to...more on that later) etc. Nothing changed. I never could tell if it was sending a signal or not.

I finally had enough and bought a $40 copy from my local parts store ( Honda wanted $98)
Getting to the thing is tough, I went in through the bottom, took out enough of the little bastard plastic fasteners to be able to bend the shielding out of the way. I put a 1-1/8 socket on my torque wrench ( the only thing long enough to put any effort on ti in the current position) with a 3" extension, my wife and her flashlight, standing above the motor, was able to guide me to the sensor....a few choice words and a braised forearm ( let the motor cool dummy) scratched knuckles and dirt in my eye...later and the thing was out.

Getting the thing back in that black hole of Calcutta was another matter. I just could not get it started, even with my patient wife's guidance.
I finally came up with the following idea....

I put this long 12mm socket over the electrical connector.

Then put two extensions on that...

....then with my guidance from above, I was able to get the thing close to the hole.
With my tongue in just the right position and some unneeded language ( so said my wife) I was able to get the threads started.
The 12mm socket slipped right off after the thread had a few turns on them,
and I went back on with the 1-1/8 socket and torque wrench....job done.

this job takes two people or three mirrors to do....what kind of sadist designs this stuff?

Thanks again to the forum for being a great help!

Now where did those little bastard fasteners roll off to?

:p

·
Registered
205 Posts
Ztex .... 10 posts in 10 years?? dont know what you put in your first 9 posts, but this one was outstanding!

21 - 40 of 83 Posts