Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are the crv koni inserts ok to use on a sc? and are there any rear shocks that will work with springs? I dont want to change struts and shocks every 1 or 2 years, if there isnt, i may have to go with tein coilovers.

·
Registered
562 Posts
the rsx ones should fit. I know the rears mate up the springs well. I haven't got them on to say yes or no myself but weapon R had made a set in 04 or 05 that fit to a ex. They were all RSX. Called koni and they feel they would hold up well even though the rsx is 700 lbs lighter.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
i've had koni inserts for 3~4 years and they've performed well. i never have liked the single bolt mounting, but it has held up. were i to do it again, i'd go w/ Teins, if they offered same drop and firmness, but i don't think Tein does. that's just for the peace of mind of the way it's connected.
but, the konis continue to work well, so i can't really fault them. they just leave me feeling insecure. i've done my share of canyon carving, on-road and off, so having something that keeps me from getting over confident may not be a bad thing. <grin>

·
Registered
562 Posts
so you have teh koni's on the element? any advice on install?

·
Registered
562 Posts
the rsx ones are the same way. you have to cut the strut and install the insert.

·
Registered
519 Posts
well I didn't know that. Thats strange is there a reason they don't make a bolt in strut for the RSX. lol I don't see a good reason that Koni doesn't make a strut for the E for that matter.

·
Registered
562 Posts
well I didn't know that. Thats strange is there a reason they don't make a bolt in strut for the RSX. lol I don't see a good reason that Koni doesn't make a strut for the E for that matter.
Well the reason is the same for both. 02-04 on the rsx and 03-up on the element all share the same suspension with slight modifications. my guess would be springs and internal valving. Though going to check that as I have purchased rsx shocks to compare and hopefully use for my install. waiting on them as we speak. now in 05-06 of the rsx and the element SC both vehicles were dropped 20mm and at the same time the front right (don't quote me on this, can't remember which side exactly, but its only one of them) spring was wound in reverse of all the others. don't know why. tokico experienced this in 2005 with the rsx and pulled all its product off the shelf, not sure why they didn't keep selling for 02-04 and rears for all. koni's answer was an insert that fit into all the rsx variations. If I am right then I should be able to take the 06 struts off the RSX and gut them and insert my koni inserts for the rsx and mount them to the element sc eibach springs and tops and go on my way. rears look to be direct fit. the spring perches match up. Here's hoping.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Tobe, can you post pics of the rear struts and the inserts sometime? I'm curious as to how they match up with my RSX coilovers, the rears atleast. Thanks!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Don't think they will match up. Its a spring/shock combo making a strut. Coilovers are all one unit. But as soon as I get these rsx OEM struts I will take a bunch of pics and post them before I start the cutting process. I wan't to measure everything out and compare. Its just been to cold to go outside and pull wheels off to look around. Waiting for nicer weather. my garage isn't heated.

·
Registered
541 Posts
spdrcr; you take a pipe cutter and cut the top of the stock shock under the seal. i think an inch from the seal. the fluid drains when you drill a pilot hole for the bolt.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Don't think they will match up. Its a spring/shock combo making a strut. Coilovers are all one unit. But as soon as I get these rsx OEM struts I will take a bunch of pics and post them before I start the cutting process. I wan't to measure everything out and compare. Its just been to cold to go outside and pull wheels off to look around. Waiting for nicer weather. my garage isn't heated.
Sounds great. I understand the cold weather, we are getting a snow storm right now! Makes me really want to come down during spring break!

·
Registered
8,753 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
I think the koni will work either way. I origionally found that weapon R had installed a set on a 04 ex. You can find some info by searching. The rear shocks are the same on the lx, ex, sc. springs are different. front strtuts are different by a spring perch design between the sc and the ex/lx models. But the koni inserts into your old strut so you would reuse your strut and spring perch making it universal to either model.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks. I went to the Koni site and saw what the procedure was. Very simple. It sounds as if the RSX inserts are for the SC... wonder what would work with a non-SC Element?
Does anybody have a link on how to do this mod. I cant seem to find the how to on the koni web site.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts