Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had the Element sprayed by Krown and boy did they spray it on thick. They told me it would drip for 2 - 3 days and that is normal. The product they use is non toxic and will not stain asphalt or concrete. Paid 109.95 Cdn plus tax. They drill a few small holes in the door jams and cap them off when finished. They did the panels, underbody and engine bay. Best part is they are a Canadian business.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I have used Krown as well, and I like what they do. Yes, it does drip - but less if you take vehicle for a good run to shake loose any residue and to make the Krown protectant work it's way through.

It does leave a residue after it drips.....my condo gets a bit fussy about it.

Iskie

·
Registered
60 Posts
Does Krown have an odour? I have used Rust Check on my full-size Chev Van since it was purchased new in 1997. The smell is actually pleasant, something like cherries. There is still absolutely no rust on the vehicle anywhere. Yes, it does drip too, but does not harm the driveway at all. I started using it when a friend's mother bought a Blazer many years ago and kept it for 15 years. She Rust Checked it every year and had no rust. That's what convinced me to use that product. And yes, she drove it frequently in the winter and through the salt.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks for the info guys!
I had just made appointment at Krown for next Satarday!
I am a bit apprehensive about drilliing about 20 holes he said
I was wondering if I should just get the underside sprayed and
and forgo the warranty? :?
Did Krown spray around the fender panels in order to treat behind
them? And, if so, did it make a mess of their delicate finish :!:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They spray in the quarter panels from the inside. The panels, doors, tailgate have drainage holes by design and this is what will piss you off. The material they use will drain through these holes for days....slowly. You'll soon discover where the drainage holes are by the streak of fluid dripping out of them. Not to worry though, just wipe away the excess and rest assured you E is protected by a very good product.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Picking up my element in Ottawa tomorrow - dealer arranged for rust proofing with a wax based product - same as they use on mercs and beamers - no dripping - anyone else gone this route?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi!
It wouldn't hurt to check out other companies, such as rust check and
Krown. I know guys with antique and classic cars worth fifty thousand $ plus
that swear by Krown.
I think Ziebart uses a parafin wax base.
Wax has been used for rustproofing for over 50 years that I know of.
I don't think the auto companies would use this any more.
It has limited creepability, and in fact can often times clog the designed
drainage holes and create traps for water and salt :shock:
in other areas.
By its nature it can't really be reapplied effectively because of its thicker
waxy nature which blocks areas.
Ask about their warranty; how long, cost for annual inspections/APPLICATIONS,
will they let you watch application and CHECK-UP APPLICATIONS?
Is the warranty TRANSFERABLE!?
Some new car dealers, Honda included, claim that their system doesn't require any holes! (in a unibody?) :roll:
Do they really do anything besides take your money?
They know 95% of new cars change ownership within 5-7 years!
The petrolium distillate products while not claiming to last as long
often requiring annual applications; creep and penetrate everywhere
especially into all those hundreds of spot welds deep in you unibody,
fenders and door panels that are the most vulnerable whether previously
galvanized painted or otherwise treated, before assembly.
I was very happy with my Krown rustproofing they were very thorough!
"It's an annual body treatment system."
I am interested in preventing rust penetration as long as I can.
Not just a cheap $400.00 body job in 8 years!
And that's usually only after months of the runaround! :evil:
By the way, my '91 Mercedes 300E has been visably rusting out since '97
And, an H1 Hummer has a body completely made of ALUMINUM
which is totally riveted together, the whole body is dipped and Anodised,
and then all seams are Epoxy bonded!
There's nothing to rust!
It' likely, some rusrproofing jobs may be worse than no rustproofing at all!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would strongely recommend that you avoid using the thick wax based product over the drippy alternative. The reason that Krown's product and Rust Check's product drips is because it is a penetrating oil. It creeps into all those nooks and crannies where the rust usually starts. These products are water soluable however, they draw moisture away. This needs to be re-applied annually because it will loose it's ability to draw away moisture over time. Alternatively, the other wax based product will not drip. It will provide a thick coating on the underside of the body to keep moisture out. The problem is however, that it also traps moisture in! Particularly in this Canadian climate where you experience such a dramatic change in temperatures. Condensation occurs all over your cars body, inside and out. If the moisture has nowhere to go it will sit there for a long time. As it accumulates and temperatures drop below freezing, it will expand and create very small splits at the seems of the body panel along the welds and over the years your vehicle will start to show signs of this corrosion on the exterior. By the time you see it externally, it's too late.

Please do your homework on this before you decide. Although the penetrating oils are a pain in the butt because of the innitial dripping, they really do work very well.

I hope this helps,

LQQK

1 - 10 of 10 Posts