Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just to let everyone that has KSports, and is not satisfied with the rear springs, I have made the call for us. I expressed to him how soft they are and with any weight in the rear it bottoms out and in turns the rear pushes out. Well, they have the engineers on this now. I told him the teins heavy duty spring rate and how the fronts of the KSports are great and the rears if the tein heavy duty's are perfect, so they are looking into between 1000 and 1100, I said 1000 would be generally good with having the adjustabilty of the KSports. Any suggestions, please add so I can foward it to KSport asap, they want to help us out and fix this for future kits asap.

Also, I had them fix the website to say they use oem upper mounts in the rear.
Later
Steve

·
Registered
225 Posts
The rears are definitely too soft. Also, I would like the spring perch to be larger, like the front perch. The rear perch looks dangerously slim for a higher spring rate and heavy load. I would go with more like 1200, and a larger perch, but I would be happy to get anything firmer honestly. Please mention the spring perch on your next contact with them.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will ask for sure, safety first my man. I wonder if the front perches are interchangable, KSport designs all their stuff to be interchangable.

I also just ordered polyurathane coil isolators for the back, I will post that up once I get them and test fit them.

Later
Steve

·
Registered
176 Posts
Finally, others feel the same...

I wrote to Ksports about this 2 months ago back in the beginning of March and because I was the first to tell them they didn't believe me. I've mentioned multiple times, try riding with 3-4 people and it's BAD.

I spoke to the initial Element owner who was the test car and even he said the rear was too soft. He had the settings to the highest as well. The Front Struts and Coilovers are perfect and can adjust infinitely.

1) The rear struts is the main issue: The rear springs are only one part of the issue guys, the main issue is the inner strut sleeve because it can not go down any further. (if only the inner sleeve adjust down more, it should be designed to lower more like the fronts.) Even before I installed the coilovers by looking at it I noticed that the car was "barely" going to be riding on the spring coils. It will hit the bump stops often and I was right, it bottoms out often. I have turned and lowered the inner strut coil to the bottom (not talking about the spring coils yet), with the inner sleeve being lowered to the max there really is no adjustments on the struts, unless you want to raise the car. The struts should have been designed shorter or at least be able to lower an extra 2 inches, so that the car can ride more on the coils. (there is room to lower the outer coilsover but, I will be riding on bump stops and not the spring coil.

Who ever designed this really didn't design it right to it's peak potential, because once the weight sets down on the coilovers you are actually riding on the bump stops and not the coils. That is the main design flaw... the struts should be able to lower more so that the car is riding more on the springs.

2) The rear springs is the second issue being too soft even at the higher settings. I bottom out when ever I have someone else in the car. It is a 4 seater and I can not sit more than 2 persons in the car or else it bottoms out often. Needs to be slightly stiffer and longer.

I have Skunk2 Lower Control Arms and ST Sway bars on the rears to help assist with the rear suspension. Which really helps, I can't even imagine those who don't have them installed, it must bounce and rub more often then mine.

I've compared the Rear Tein Basics next to the Rear Ksports coilovers and the Tein struts are a bit shorter, thicker, and their coilover springs are thicker and coils higher. (The Tein rear springs are way too soft as well.)

Ksport: please help!

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Wow guys....as long as it took I had hoped they did their homework. Hopefully they will put forth some effort to correct it. Steve, I'm curious to know who your talking to, if you could PM me with that info.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey everyone, I spoke to Steve last week about your springs being too soft, and we're working on getting something stiffer set up. Our springs are typically listed in kg/mm, so you guys will be looking at something around 17-20 kg/mm (1000-1100 lbs/in). I'm glad that Steve called, because this is the 1st I've heard about your guys' springs being too soft, and I'll do what I can to get this resolved.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have had to raise mine because of hitting issues and it still does on hard bumps. I too would like a stiffer coil, but would also like to know if the strut valving can handle the increased spring pressure. I would hate to strees the strut and blow one.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
i wasn't sure about the Ksports, but i like the way that Matt has jumped in (after encouragement from Steve and others?) to address the problem. anyone can make a mistake, but i admire those who fix them.
so now i'll watch this thread to determine whether i should go w/ Ksports.

·
1,049 Posts

I haven't installed my KSports yet. I am glad because I am going to need a stiffer spring with the weight of my stereo equipment that is installed in the rear.

I eagerly await a new stiffer spring.

I am also concerned about whether the strut will handle the added spring. With the trouble I will have to install struts in the rear of my E (click my sig to see picts) I don't want to have to install them more than once.

·
Registered
40 Posts
THANK GOD someone took the initiative to contact them! i have them on also and they are worst then springs! very unpleased! keep us updated man!
I spoke to Ksports a few days ago. Ksports have at least a couple different spring rates. The Pro damper Kit already comes with a 13k/728lb for the rear. Well for $50 each you can purchase a 15k/840lb spring rate or a 20k/1000 spring rate. (I know what your sayin’ more $.) If someone has not yet purchased them, they can specify which spring rate they want for the rear at the time of purchase. I have not yet decided which ones to go with yet. However, I think 20k would be too stiff, 15k may be the answer. Are you unpleased with the fronts too?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
^^^the 20k for sure, but also, you may want to call back and talk to matt, KSport had to custom make the rear spring because it tapers from one diameter to another, you cannot use the universal rear springs, it would have until they decided to not use the aluminum top mount they originally designed and then went to using the stock rear mounts,that is also why they have the engineers working on it, they will have to have new ones made first, unless sonehow they made new ones in 3 days, I doubt it, plus Matt would have posted something by now.
I will call tomorrow for us and check in.

Also, the fronts are dead perfect, you cant go wrong with the fronts, its an amazing ride for sure, the rears are fine too, if you set them up correctly and have no wieght ever in the back, as soon as I add my wife, kids, and a stroller, they then are horrid.

Later
Steve

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just talked to Matt, they do NOT have 3 different springs.

Anyways, here is the deal, they said they are already a higher spring rate than tein, they need 10 people or more to commit to a higher spring rate before they make them available. He will be posting up a great price for us very soon. These will be a option spring in the future. Please let me know what wieght you are looking at, please be reasonable, and let me know you are ready to buy. I will be taking all the info and then we will choose the best optional spring. If we cannot come to an agreement, we all lose out.

If I do not see a lot of traffic, I will be posting a group buy.
Thank guys
Steve

p.s.- I am working 2:30pm to 1:30am all week, I will try to answer questions asap, most likely at lunch or when the boss is away, lol.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just talked to Matt, they do NOT have 3 different springs.

Anyways, here is the deal, they said they are already a higher spring rate than tein, they need 10 people or more to commit to a higher spring rate before they make them available. He will be posting up a great price for us very soon. These will be a option spring in the future. Please let me know what weight you are looking at, please be reasonable, and let me know you are ready to buy. I will be taking all the info and then we will choose the best optional spring. If we cannot come to an agreement, we all lose out.

If I do not see a lot of traffic, I will be posting a group buy.
Thank guys
Steve
I spoke Matt too last Friday and from my first post that is what he told me. Maybe the spring is not available but they can make it. I also emailed Nick at Kpsorts. Here is his reply.

We provide a stiffer spring than any of
the other coilover systems on the market. We had one person ask for a
stiffer spring, which we can possibly make, but we are trying to find
interest beyond the one person. As that spring is made special for that car
we need to gauge if we can sell enough to manufacture a new rate. From the
local people here that installed them and currently run they they like the
rate, so I guess it depends on the person. Possibly send me some pics of
your rear spring and I can try to see what is going on with yours.

Thanks,
Nick J.
Ksport Suspension Company

·
Registered
562 Posts
Does anyone know what the oem spring rates are? It seems like 728 should be a pretty heavy duty spring rate? It would seem that there is a need for more travel more than a heavy spring. I would think a 20k spring would hardly move. I would guess it would make the back end completely rockish. I claim no expertise in this. Just curious. Trying to figure out the details before I stick on some coil overs of my own and am disappointed.

1 - 20 of 127 Posts