Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had my Ksports for 2 years now, and always notice an annoying popping/clunking at low speeds (0 to 30mph). Beyond 40mph, it disappears... This noise has been ongoing since I got them installed and just shrugged it off. I did a search and read that is might be a leaky strut, but there's no leakage or spills anywhere on the right-rear rim/fender area. Note, this is a lot more noisy than when I had the OEM struts on Eibach springs.

But yeah, I got my alignment done, because I had to raise it overall... I was tired of having the rears lower and the fronts higher, because the drop was previously even and level with Eibachs - I just had to get them all level (thanks to Hector/gruvncbn for helping me adjust them higher and showing me how it's done). **Which reminds me, stay away from Pit Crew Motorsports... I asked them to adjust all of the coil overs to make the height even w/ two-finger gaps all around... it looks like they didn't even do a thing, and I was out $75 for possibly false labor work.** Anyways, back to my rear-end clunking...

I got my alignment done at a reputable Brake/Alignment shop here in North Hollywood, and the owner even showed me what was wrong/off and what he was going to do and adjust... He took notice of the rear-right side clunking too.

My question, Ksport or other coil over installers, what could be the cause of the clunking noise at low speeds? Particularly the rears... My fronts pop, but every so often and not a big issue. This rear noise is kind of concerning me, almost to the point of regretting getting coil overs (maybe KSports are just piece of crap?). It's definitely the rear-passenger coil over. I opened up the tail gate to sit on and bounced the passenger side and was able to reproduce the clunking noise.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mark no worries is was fun adjusting the coilovers. As for the rear popping my exhaust hits the lower control arm and makes clunking noise that drive me crazy. It only does it on turns but since it the passenger side you might want to take a look at the that as well.
I was thinking that too, exhaust on sway bar or lower control arm, might have to wrap some rubber in some areas and check. I should strap a camera down there and see where its clunking from. Thanks for the "adjusting coil overs 101"! :)

·
Registered
512 Posts
I was thinking that too, exhaust on sway bar or lower control arm, might have to wrap some rubber in some areas and check. I should strap a camera down there and see where its clunking from. Thanks for the "adjusting coil overs 101"! :)
Mine hits the sway-bar i had to wrap the sway-bar as well which stopped the rattle but the banging is from the exhaust hit the LCA

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
The clunking is from the fact that the coilovers dont lock into place the
spring like the OEM struts do. The spring on the Ksports spins, and makes
the clunking noise.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The clunking is from the fact that the coilovers dont lock into place the
spring like the OEM struts do. The spring on the Ksports spins, and makes
the clunking noise.
Ah! Ok. It's more like a clunk/squeak noise too. On the rear-passenger side only, everything else is quite. Is there anything I can spray or apply (grease or paste) in there to reduce it? Thanks AztecRol

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
Ah! Ok. It's more like a clunk/squeak noise too. On the rear-passenger side only, everything else is quite. Is there anything I can spray or apply (grease or paste) in there to reduce it? Thanks AztecRol
I was talking about the fronts. You can grease those up.
As for the rears, I agree with gruvn.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts