Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been looking at this rack ever since I saw it at Interbike. It is a SWEET looking rack. I love the idea of the integrated repair stand, as well as the aluminum construction. However does anyone know if it clears the E's tailgate? I would hate to order this thing and have to send it back.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Kuat NV on Friday

REI carries it now and I used my dividend and 20%off. use your 20% till April 7th
Mine will arrive on Friday and I will post pics of it and the clearance issue points this weekend. Planning on adding the MWE bladerunner, but I don't have a coupon for that yet. Till then....

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Got my NV rack

Got the Kuat NV on the E and the tailgate sits on the rack like I was worried about. Everything else clears fine and the rack is awesome and I plan on keeping it. I am going to add the MWE Bladerunner or Red October with this Kuat NV and the cleareance on the tailgate will no longer be an issue.

So my review:

1. tailgate cleareance. Could be solved by adding the MWE like I am or one could drill a new hole where the hitch pin goes. It only needs to come out about 1/2" further to let the tailgate all the way down. The rack only has one hole option and so does my Uhaul hitch.

2. The cable lock on it is lame and easy to cut. Every rack I looked at had lame locking issues, but I would have preffered that the front wheel arms had locks in them in stead of a cable lock.

3. It's heavy. That is beacuse it's built to last and I don't mind the weight, but on the E it all starts to add up. It will hold Two 55lbs bikes after all and has a Four bike optional add on.

4. Expensive. Yup, but 20% off at REI helps. I've had cheap racks in the past that have damaged my car and bikes. This should not happen with this rack. Sometimes you get what you pay for and I like what I got this time.

5. The rest of the rack is perfect. From the way it looks to the sold feel of it with and without bikes. Plus the work stand is just icing on the cake. No wiggles or noise from the rack at all. Best rack I every put a bike in.

So on a scale of 1 to 10 I would give it a NINE

Locks are all lame on racks. That is why I bought the E in the first place to keep my bike inside. All rack locks seem to be lacking.
E clearence issue can be delt with. Kuat could have added a few more holes to adust the rack placement.
It's is not the perfect E rack just yet, but I like it better than any other rack out there and I feel like I looked at them all. Find it on sale or buy it used, but you won't be dissapointed in the rack itself.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
a few more pictures

You can see the tailgate support cables are almost taught and holding the tailgate, but it is resting in the rack. The spot it rests happens to be padded as it's the rubber seal of the hatch. It does not contact the car paint at all when the rack is lowed down. No clearance issues with the upper hatch at all.

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Perfect and just what I was looking for. I'm about to order the Kuat NV 2.0 and wanted to see if it would clear. Nice work!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks for the info. I have been considering the Kuat & curious to know how it cleared the tailgate & hatch. I'm sure part of the tailgate clearance will depend on the hitch receiver mounted on the E.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have the 1up bike rack, Its built like a tank..
its a bit pricey but have to say hands down its one of the best built racks I have ever seen and used.. Look at the reviews on MTBR..
Ill post some photos later when I get home on the PC..
it does not clear the gate unless its tilted down.. but then clears 100%..

·
Registered
30 Posts
I still haven't pulled the trigger on a new rack & would be curious to see pics of the oneup rack on the E. Have those available?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have the 1up bike rack, Its built like a tank..
its a bit pricey but have to say hands down its one of the best built racks I have ever seen and used.. Look at the reviews on MTBR..
Ill post some photos later when I get home on the PC..
it does not clear the gate unless its tilted down.. but then clears 100%..
Curious to see the clearance and how that works!

I have a yakima one right now and it doesnt clear and im trying to find one that does. Also looking at rockymounts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for review of Kuat

Got the Kuat NV on the E
<snip>
Thanks for this useful review including photos of the rear liftgate clearance. I don't have an Element yet but this rack will be on my consideration list when I do. The downside being that this rack requires removal of fork-mount water bottle cages, which I and all my friends use for bikepacking in the desert.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have the NV with the 1 1/4" hitch. If you have the choice, get a 2" hitch and rack. My 1 1/4 " rack has a lot of torsional bending on the 1 1/4" portion causing the bikes to wiggle around more than I like. The rack is secured to the hitch so it is not play between the hitch and the rack.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts