Honda Element Owners Club banner

Learning how to "CLAY" my EL

5K views 19 replies 19 participants last post by  hiker chick 
#1 ·
Claying is cool. It is a procedure you do before waxing that removes all the impurities on the finish. When done it leaves the finish so smooth.I use to use rubbing compounds or waxes that had some polishing capabilites BUT this does take a layer of clearcoat down. Even some waxes do this!
Claying does not. I use Griot's Garage clay and use their Speed Shine as the lubricant. I can do a whole hood of a car in 5 minutes. I am absolutely sold on claying.
Also after a long trip and the bugs are smashed into the hood I just get out a patty of my clay and quickly it is cleaned.
Claying was new to me and at first I was intimidated when I would read about doing it -but man o man is it easy.
Enjoy the Ride!
Legolas

#4 ·
It's a long process, but it's SO worth it. In fact, when you spend 20 grand on an automobile it's sometimes easy to buy cheap auto care products and not buy the quality stuff. A while back I made the switch to Zaino Brothers show car clay bar, car wash, and polishing products and WOW...the cars look great!

Clay bars have also been known to remove overspray that some auto body guys thought may not come off.

#5 ·
I'll put in my $.02 for claybar and Zaino, too... more info is available on http://www.zainostore.com under "application".

I used a claybar on my husband's new Element this weekend and followed with Zaino Z-2 for ultraviolet protection (Southwest sun is nasty). Zaino is a polymer and works best with the ZFX accelerator, which saves time. The great part is that the more you use Zaino, the easier it gets! :)

I wash the car with a plain water hose-off, then go over it with a rag and Z-7 wash (which I squirt from a one-pint bottle with a pop-up sipper lid) and rinse again. Dry it with a leaf blower, then apply the Z-2 and polish off, then finish up with Z-6, polishing again for a smooth and gleaming shine. Takes me about an hour now that I've got the claybar and first treatment done. 8)

#9 ·
[quote:a0deb4313c="drmabq"]I'll put in my $.02 for claybar and Zaino, too... more info is available on http://www.zainostore.com under "application".

I used a claybar on my husband's new Element this weekend and followed with Zaino Z-2 for ultraviolet protection ........... 8)[/quote:a0deb4313c]

WOW...my hat goes off to you .....my wife can do anything when it comes to being a homemaker/ housewife/ mother and all ......but....washing cars... :roll: ...that's my domain according to her..( and I do not mind a bit.... :wink: )...

not to get off the subject....I have clay'd my cars but have yet to do her E, since is fairly new and is on the hotside here in N.E....but I will clay both the vehicles and apply a heavy coat of clear wax just before winter .. :lol:

#14 ·
urbanhym said:
What's a clay and spray package? Is it a product that performs like a clay in a spray form or just a lubricant that helps apply the clay? Can you tell me a brand?
It is indeed a lubricant that helps apply the clay. Brand...hmm...mothers makes one, so does meguires...good luck!

#17 ·
Careful with claying and Zaino.. You could become a shine-a-holic..
I find you can also clay during your wash. I wash the E using a two bucket method. One with Meguiars NXT wash and the other with clear rinse water. This will keep you from adding the dirt into the soapy water and causing less damage to the car. I then use a polish before I layer on some wax....

For Zaino folks.. I totally agree that Zaino rock.... I also say get the Z6 and the Z8 to take the Zaino to the next level.

Oh. I am a shine a holic

#19 · (Edited)
bsdowner said:
What in the heck is "claying?" There is plenty of red clay here in VA. Does it mean getting your E covered with mud or what??? :?
Please search :)

Or go to the Zaino or Meguiars websites.

Im not trying to be rude, but I cant believe you read this thread and still dont know what claying is

Is it Friday yet? :)

#20 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.