Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to add puddle lights that are on some high end SUVs. I got some nice bright white waterproof LEDs from www.tmiled.com (the same place where I got my under dash and mirror running / turn signal LEDs). I wanted something that would stand up to the tough Northeast roads and weather so I wanted ones with a mounting hole rather than a peel and stick strip. Took me less than an hour to do both sides. Just pulled the rocker panel covers, mounted the LEDs using plastic rivets, there's even a body plug to use to route the wires into the sill. Then just ran them up under the sill plate and connected them into my existing under dash LEDs. Now, they work with the interior lights. So they come on with the remote when entering, on when exiting, and fade out as the interior lights do. A nice little touch for under $20. TMI LEDs are sold on Ebay too. One nice feature is when I did the mirror LEDs and these; the LEDs came with nice long 8 or 10 foot leads (unheard of) so I didn't have to extend the wires. Nice! To see my LED mirrors search ALA FJ LED.

Attachments

·
Registered
329 Posts
Now that is one of the most useful mods I've seen yet.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I've been working on a set for a while. Eight units per side, each with two bright 5000k LEDs. I just picked up some aluminum today to do it the best way properly. Next is a clear plexi cover for the entire thing.

:grin:

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Nice! :)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fragile

I've been working on a set for a while. Eight units per side, each with two bright 5000k LEDs. I just picked up some aluminum today to do it the best way properly. Next is a clear plexi cover for the entire thing.

:grin:
Looks pretty fragile OTG (must be Italian). The bottom of the rockers take allot of spray and rocks even with OE mud flaps. Again. Total job took me an hour. if you want a ton of light I would suggest two per side. I centered my one between the wheel wheels.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Holy crap those are bright! Nice mod Gilboy. I bet those LEDs would make nice cornering lamps too.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Looks pretty fragile OTG (must be Italian). The bottom of the rockers take allot of spray and rocks even with OE mud flaps. Again. Total job took me an hour. if you want a ton of light I would suggest two per side. I centered my one between the wheel wheels.
That is 1/4" acrylic. It's very difficult to break. However, I have aluminum for the task now. It won't fail. :)

This is the idea:

:)

Edit: One side finished up. Just need to fashion a clear cover for it and waterproof it.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I don't mean to take over this thread, but I know if I make my own thread it will probably get combined anyways.

I taped these on to the side skirt:

Then I realized I need to hide them from the side:

I'm surprised how broad the light is spread!

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Both of you guys,Nicely done.8) I took a different approch then installing the puddle lights underneath.I installed waterproof cool white flexible l.e.d. ribbon strips,under all 4 of my doors. I used a 12" under the two front doors and two 6"ers under the rear doors.:)

·
Registered
320 Posts
Now, they work with the interior lights. So they come on with the remote when entering, on when exiting, and fade out as the interior lights do.
I was wondering, if the lights come on w/ the interior lights when you unlock your E and all. If someone were to turn on the dome light while you're driving, would the puddle led lights turn on too?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I was wondering, if the lights come on w/ the interior lights when you unlock your E and all. If someone were to turn on the dome light while you're driving, would the puddle led lights turn on too?
Not if it's tied to the door activated circuit controlled by the middle selection of the ceiling light switch.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No

No, they only come on when the doors are locked / unlocked or opened. However, now with my dual dome light mod, LED dome lights, LED under dash lights and LED puddle lights, I think my next mod will be to add an interior light switch that the Es are missing.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
That is a nice mod !

·
Registered
78 Posts
bumping an old thread. I want to put this in my car. Any suggestions on the LEDs or light bars I should be aware of? I tried ebaying and amazoning but those strips are fairly expensive. And I would need two strips since I want to do both sides.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
bumping an old thread. I want to put this in my car. Any suggestions on the LEDs or light bars I should be aware of? I tried ebaying and amazoning but those strips are fairly expensive. And I would need two strips since I want to do both sides.
Oznium
http://www.oznium.com/thin-waterproof-ribbon
^^Those are what I installed on my E' 8) I have four of the cool white ones under each of my doors. I used a 12" under the two front doors and two 6"ers under the rear doors. ;-)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts