Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone installed LED signals to thier mirrors? Shark Racing has these LED boards that attach behind your existing mirrors to give them a factory LED look. Muth mirrors don't offer LED mirrors for the Element but I found these from SR that would work on just about any brand of car. Pretty cool.

I'm not talking about the cheezy stick on LED. These are invisible till you turn them on. The mirror has to be removed from it's mount and the circuitboard is glued to the backside of the mirror.

I found this thread here about mirror removal. This MOD may or may not work due to shatter goo on the rear of the mirror.
http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27507&highlight=mirror+removal

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Maybe I'm too dense to pick up quickly here...

How do the LED's shine through the reflective backing of the mirror?

·
Registered
543 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Bowzer, go here:

http://www.sharkracing.com/acecart/bin/shop.cgi?action=view&itemID=ledmirrordiy&cate=070000000

and check out the installation video.

These are great! Going on my to-do-list of mods. Maybe one of the more experienced "modders" can shed some light on how difficult it is to remove and disassemble the mirror units. Maybe?
Well it certainly seems to work just fine. Have to admit this is a tempting mod. Last thing I am wondering is if the Led's are plenty bright ad can be seen from a farily wide angle. The biggest benefit for these to me is lane changes where vehicles to the side would pick up on the signal vs being able to see the rear or front signals.

Thanks for the link!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
That's pretty cool.

One more thing to add to the mods list.

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
I have some brand new mirrors. I will take pics of the mirrors
so you guys can see what it will involve. Looks like a cool mod.

·
Registered
669 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's one way to do it. What I don't like about this is it isn't a mirror itself and will block off a good part of the mirror rendering it useless.
If your wanting a wide angle spot mounted to the outside then don't use that MOD use a Muth wide angle stick-on which was pointed to me when I contacted Muth. A stick-on with wires comming out of it. Cheezy IMO. As for rendering a mirror useless. I beg to differ. The see thru LED's DO NOT block any part of the mirror. To each his/her own.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was talking about the stick-on-the-glass plastic with wires hanging from them types you buy off eBay. If yours are those.. Well.. If you like em.. That's all that matters.
I'm not talking about the cheezy stick on LED.
QUOTE]

Mine aren't cheezy! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
669 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
I was talking about the stick-on-the-glass plastic with wires hanging from them types you buy off eBay. If yours are those.. Well.. If you like em.. That's all that matters.
Ok, mine are stick on the front of the mirror, visible from the front and side of the car. ;-)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The actual mirror is mounted in a plastic frame that has mounting points that attach to the electric servos arms that pivit the mirrors. With the glass removed from it's mounting you can shine a light thru it from the backside. These LED's like Muth's mount on the reverse side and shine thru only when they are on. Muth sells mirrors already mounted for around $200-300 bucks. You can see these are considerably cheaper if you DIY. From the video RC's verson can be used with heated or non-heated mirrors. From what I've been told the mirror simply unsnaps from each mount with a gentle pull. I haven't personally done it so don't take my word that it's that easy.
Maybe I'm too dense to pick up quickly here...

How do the LED's shine through the reflective backing of the mirror?

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
If your wanting a wide angle spot mounted to the outside then don't use that MOD use a Muth wide angle stick-on which was pointed to me when I contacted Muth. A stick-on with wires comming out of it. Cheezy IMO. As for rendering a mirror useless. I beg to differ. The see thru LED's DO NOT block any part of the mirror. To each his/her own.
My comment was based on the arrow looking black and not clear/see through. With it not being shown on an actual mirror there isn't any way to tell that. if it is clear as you are saying then it would be just fine to me.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My comment was based on the arrow looking black and not clear/see through. With it not being shown on an actual mirror there isn't any way to tell that. if it is clear as you are saying then it would be just fine to me.
I got interested in this idea after selling a set of Muth mirrors I didn't use for a VWBug I used to own. Muth doesn't support the Element other than sending them your mirror and they do the same thing you can do yourself for hundreds less. If you have ever seen the GM's big SUV's with signaling mirrors which BTW are made by Muth, these add-on from RC work the same way. The only reason I mentioned these is I thought they would be a nice MOD and give the E another factory option look.

I have however thru another thread found out there is a anti-shatter glue on the rear of the mirror to deal with if one is thinking of doing this. See my opening post for that thread link.

·
Registered
85 Posts
It mounts behind the mirror so you don't see the black part - only the lights.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
It mounts behind the mirror so you don't see the black part - only the lights.
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I had no idea that's how it mounted! That makes for a very nice CLEAN install.

I take it you need to remove the plastic that is on the back of the mirror so that the black arrow can mount flush to the back of the mirror? Based on this, does the arrow miss the mounting clip on the back of the mirror?

Does anyone have a pic of these mounted on the back of an Element mirror?

Thanks.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Attachments

·
Registered
543 Posts
That's one way to do it. What I don't like about this is it isn't a mirror itself and will block off a good part of the mirror rendering it useless.
Not so. Several newer cars have had these for a few years now. I've driven some, and there is no substantial interference. The leds are totally invisible when off, and only marginally intrusive when on.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts