Honda Element Owners Club banner

LEDs are all around

24K views 46 replies 18 participants last post by  CoffeeDragon 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everybody!

One month ago I bought 03 Honda Element for my wife and right after that decided to modified rear tail lights.

To do this:

1. I have modified ASL led lamps - cover had been removed:

2. have incorporated it into Element tails

should be like this (but with less leds - 1 row)

So yesterday it was done – in my opinion new one looks wonderful
It took me 5 hrs to implemented project.

Photos are coming soon (today I hope).

I have also installed led backup bulbs, led H3 fog bulbs, white led 3W parking lights are installed in day light compartment (so that front turn bulb and parking are separated), led interior bulbs, converted side markers to turn signals

See less See more
#4 ·
Nice, I like the look....I've thought about PIAA led fogs under the rear bumper to augment the back up lights....they make them with 10 white LED's in each light houseing and less than 2 inchs tall.....

#5 ·
Hey 'Mike-Rus';
Nice LED's; looks like they will do a good job.
What does the "KATRIN" on the rear hatch stand for?

#7 ·
To modify the factory tail light housings, I'm assuming you used the "oven method" employed to clear the headlights? Did you have to remove much material from the tail light housings to get the LED lights to fit?

I've been considering doing this using parts from BMW or Toyota LED tail light assemblies but this is a MUCH better (read: cheaper) way to do it. I had LEDs all around on my last car (Jeep Grand Cherokee) and I've wanted to do the same on the E but the way the reflectors in the housing are designed, regular LED replacement bulbs look like crap.

Kudos for the enginuity, I think this is the first full LED conversion in the EOC!

#8 · (Edited)
To modify the factory tail light housings I did not use "oven method" (it was used only to remove reflector - t=1 min max):

1. ASL led lenses are the best made in the USA led product in tirms of reliability and quality

2. To made ASL lamp more clear I modified it - cover was removed (before mod D=4,3Inchs, after = 4,0)

3. I took 4 inch special tool for drill to make a hole in the
Element t.l.

4. by oven i melted some part of reflector (4,5 inchs wide) to remove it from 4 inch hole. I cut "tongue" of reflector for painting (it was chromed) and installation back to reflector to cover a hole in it (to fix it i used silicone glue)

4. After I painted black edge of housing by chrome paint

5. Using glue gun I fixed led lamp inside housing

Good luck

#9 ·
Strastvuike (sp) looks great! I may be in the baltics later this year. If I go maybe we can meet up and I can get a first hand look at your mods. If not keep up the great work!!!

#11 ·
Thats pretty sexy, ...I love LEDs, anyways, hows the vieing angle on that?

#16 · (Edited)
My next led mod will be changing OEM tirn bulbs to led

3W HP Amber Turn Bulbs (7443/7440)

That one is much brighter then this

to simulate that the original light bulbs are installed I'm going to use LED Light Load Equalizers.

there are two options:

1. 2 LLE 3 Ohm for each side (per each turn signal
side)

2. 4 LLE 6 Ohm two in front & two in rear ( per
each LED bulb)

My choise is 3 Ohm

Please download the LED Light Load equalizer installation instructions document.

http://www.LEDLight.com/images/loadequalizer.pdf

#17 ·
For the reverse lights is better to use

VELOCITY LEDS HID WHITE HIGH POWER LED BULB (194)

This light is amazing with the smoothest and brightest light. This bulb has a full 180 degrees of light side to side. Color is simular to white/blue HID lighting found on many high-end cars

This leds are really brighter then OEM 194 bulbs

#19 ·
Tail light lense

Does anyone know if its possible to get the red lense off the tail light housing?
i want an alteza or euro tail light to match all the clear lenses on the front of my E. clear lense with red LED's would look good, i dont want to destroy them opening them, i need the red lenses intact to take molds for the clear lenses. i hope to do this without buying another stock set of tail lights.
Thanks for any ideas.

#21 ·
You know what they say, immitation is the most sincere form of flattery :D

I just ordered the 4" ASL LED assemblies from www.buytruckstuff.com, did a lot of price shopping and everyone who sells the ASL units is with a few $$$ of each other. I must say that the ASL looks like a vastly superior product compared to the other units on the market. Most of the stuff I found was just 5mm LEDs soldered to perf board with a lense in front of it. The ASL units are actually designed from the start to make the most of the LEDs by using a special reflector and wide angle Hewlett-Packard LEDs.

Mike, any chance you could brave that Siberian cold and get a few shots of the backside of the tail light? I would love to see your handywork from the back so I can get a better idea of how much assembly I have to remove to make the 4" hole.

#25 ·
So, I got the right side tail light done today. It took a lot longer than I thought it would (about 2 hours) but I am a perfectionist and I expect the second one will be much quicker.

Unlike Mike, I didn't have a 4" hole saw so I used my Dremel instead. After cutting the opening for the ASL assembly, I removed the internal reflector (broke it actually :rolleyes: ). After cleaning all the plastic shavings out of the tail light, I used hot glue to secure/seal the ASL assembly, then replaced the original connectors with the T-Tap spade connectors. Mike was right, if you take your time doing this you will barely notice the difference from the stock bulb assembly.

Pictures below, more tomorrow when I do the other tail light.

#26 ·
since your doing all of this work to your tail lights you should put in some strobe lights too, that way when you are in the parking lot late at night you can flash them a little bit and get everyones attention. I have them on all of my cars,(construction field) but this one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.