Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm trying to decide on the best delivery system for MP3's in my new Element EX.

also, stupid question: do you connect the headphones out to the aux in? or do you need a line out from the MP3 device?

sorry to rehash this, i've done searches with minimal results.

THANKS A MILLION IN ADVANCE!

choices?

1. cd player with mp3 capability

2. dedicated non-cd mp3 player

3. PDA with audio

others?

fred

·
Registered
11 Posts
[quote:07c5b325e7="fhodshon"]
1. cd player with mp3 capability

2. dedicated non-cd mp3 player

3. PDA with audio
[/quote:07c5b325e7]

Now that I've actually had my E for all of 36 hours, I feel compelled to post more. :)

I think that 1 is probably the best choice...it's what I had before I got the E. However, I want to keep the stock stereo for awhile, because one of the things I got sick of was my old car getting broken into all the time for the stereo. (removable faceplate doesn't help...they'll break in to see if you hid the faceplate in your glove compartment...still messes up your locks, doors, and peace of mind) So, I'll probably get a new head unit one day, but not yet.

3 doesn't really do it for me, because the amount of storage in most PDAs isn't that great. You can certainly stock up a PDA with a bunch of flash memory, but it's not cheap, and just doesn't seem to be the best.

I'm going (temporarily) with 2. I currently have a rio Volt which is a portable CD-mp3 player. It'll do for now. If you've got much music, I'd go for a hard drive-based player (as I will be doing when I recover from buying the E) like the iPod (beautiful, user friendly, functional, $$$$$) or the Nomad Zen (less beautiful, less user-friendly, functional, $$$) or the Nomad Jukebox 3 (even less beautiful, less user-friendly, possibly more functional, $$). I'll be getting the cheap jukebox 3, 'cause I personally care more about the price than the beauty. The iPod is a beaut though....

·
Registered
287 Posts
PDA.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well, I have to go with #2. Sorry that makes it one each.

I will however predicate that with a hard drive unit. A memory (card) based unit is fine for running or something, but a hard drive unit is what you want for car / personal use.

I would buy an iPod. They are much pricer then the others, but I really like there features and size. You can get a 20 GB unit for under $200 these days (non iPod).

You just connect the headphone output to the AUX and you are good to go. Make sure the controls are easy to get to. Think about changing music while you are driving. Make sure there are playlist etc.

mp3 CD players are ok, but it will get annoying. Better to just get a new head unit that plays mp3 CD's. I have had my kenwood head unit for over 2 years now (close to 3). and it is great. I just want something that would hold my entire music library.

check out the kenwood music keg too. probably not what you want, but worth the look see anyway.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Another #2 vote, but make sure it is hard-disk based and I really very strongly endorse the iPod. Much like the Element itself, it delivers not only the black and white goods, it creates a sense of joy and wonder and that x-factor that comes along only once in a great while. To get the Element and the 30G iPod together is just amazing; a truly fine combination of utility, design and grace.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I use my PDA but will probably get a dedicated non-cd mp3 player because it is smaller then a cd player...

·
Registered
287 Posts
wow, sounds like that guy works for ipod and honda. lol

·
Registered
55 Posts
I use an Archos 20 Jukebox Recorder - 20 gig hard drive - in my Element. In some ways it is a bit more versatile than the ipod and about half the price. I love it. Besides being a MP3 player one thing you can do is rercord with it. Like I can record my radio show (on a local radio station sunday nights) and listen to it during the week - because it beats most anything else on the radio.

There was a thread about MP3 Players a while back and some person named "pookster" influenced me towards the Archos.

Thom Wodock
Sergeantsville NJ

·
Registered
957 Posts
The iPod is a pretty tight unit but it's hard to ignore this super cool Archos unit - especially if you've got the coin to pay iPod prices anyway. You get SO much more than an iPod, plus a full color screen, MPEG4 video recording and playback, still picture and video cam attachments, it can act as an FM radio, record television shows, and you can even read memory cards and use the hard drive as a USB attachable data storage device for regular files!

Again, I do like the iPod, but IMHO Archos is kicking Apple's @$$ with the AV300 series. 8)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a 20GB iPod - upgraded form the original 5GB model that went with me to the desert - so you can kind of guess what I'd recommend ;)

The Creative Zen is cheaper and holds as much, so if you're low on cash consider that. It's USB 2.0 (I think) vs Firewire on the iPod.

If you already have a PDA with stereo output and MP3 playing capabilities AND a SD/CF slot, then use that for a while.

The Archos unit is cheaper than the Zen or iPod, and would work well also. It's all a matter of personal preference/taste and budget :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
I use a Sony mp3-capable portable cd-player. I'm now trying to decide which style of mount I want to install.

I'm going to look around locally, but if I can't find anything, I'll be ordering one of these http://www.arkon.com/cd.html.

I'd like to have one of the goosenecks, but it says it bolts to a passenger seat bolt and looking at the E seat, it seems there's a plastic shroud that might get in the way.

I think the little 6" one might work, but I'm concerned the sticky tape might not be strong enough, and I'm not sure I want to put screws into the dash plastic.

If any of you have any other ideas, let me know.

eKennedy

·
Registered
204 Posts
[quote:df76c2f3e4="eMass"]Again, I do like the iPod, but IMHO Archos is kicking Apple's @$$ with the AV300 series. 8)[/quote:df76c2f3e4]

That Archos unit is very cool with all of the different ways you can use it, kind of an all-around media appliance Swiss Army knife thang.

I'm not so sure that the AV300 device should really be considered a peer of the iPod tho. The iPod is pretty much dedicated to music and doing a great job on music. This is the reason I am so infatuated with it is that it is so tightly integrated with iTunes on the Mac. I think I might be less enthusiastic if I was forced to use the Windows software with it.

As well, Archos is a little more bleeding edge that Apple wants to be. I think it's cool that there is a lot of competition in this area, which should result in continued innovation.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I am seeing an element with an apple sticker on it and a bumper sticker that says "rage against the dominant paradigm".

·
Registered
31 Posts
I use the Creative Labs Nomad 20GB Jukebox. I don't need it to be really small to carry on my person and the Nomad is more affordable than many MP3 units with that amount of storage. I have my entire CD collection on it (hundreds and of CDs) so I never have to decide what music to take with me on trips. I am happy with it.
http://www.nomadworld.com/products/

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am still in the E-Lust stage (haven't yet convinced my better half how cool the E is) but when I took a test drive in a GGM AWD 5spd Element, I took along my trusty Powerbook G4 Ti and an audio adapter cable. I proceeded to experiment with the combo of the E's nice sound system and my iTunes-loaded PB Ti. It was wonderful! iTunes' built-in Equalizer worked really well with the E's system, too. I was sort of afraid that the PB Ti's unamplified audio out might be too weak a signal to be useful in the E. I was wrong.
The salesman (A friend) and I were blown away!
I'm an Apple fan, so I also lust after an iPod, but the huge capability and flexability that is available in a good laptop would seem to be a perfect fit for the Element owner-on-the- go. My PB Ti can play DVD movies, connect to the internet, edit audio and video, play CDs of std. audio formats or MP3s, MPEG-4s, etc. or many other formats. I can do word processing, or burn CDs/DVDs. I can store 40GBs worth of audio or video or game content on a pocket firewire drive (or iPod)and play thru the PB Ti into the Element's audio system. I could even get a large flat sreen LCD monitor and have a my own drive-in/up theatre, sort of ala Studio-E. The possibilities for multimedia E-fun are mind boggling!
What has my pea-brain spinning is coming up with a cool way of mounting or securing the laptop in the E so it yields the most usability, but is still removable for mobility/security purposes.
By the way, the test drive was great. The E won my heart and mind immediately!
Just my E-less :cry: 2 cents worth.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts