Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I haven't spent much time on the boards lately, as research has been hectic and all my spare time has been lost to a single problem- the awful driveline and suspension issues I have had since my CCM lift install. I know that some of you have lifted without any issues, but my 2003 4wd Ellie does not like this very much. Beside the increased suspension wear in the front, my driveline is shaking my poor little truck like a British Nanny (old joke, sorry Brits...) !

If I completely unload the rear of the truck, it gets better... but nothing seems to make it 100% OK (see other threads) and I know other people definitely have issues, too (see other threads)... I'm thinking maybe us 4wd guys with the little bit of extra weight in the back makes it worse, as it seems to happen under acceleration when the front suspension is unloaded.

So, I'm not ready to give up all hopes of extra clearance, but I want to drop the front down to about an inch to what seems like a safer height for the geometry of the components in the drive and suspension systems. I plan on calling CCM today and asking about the possibility of a smaller spacer on the front (fat chance as per some other forum members and their take on CCM customer service)... If that doesn't work, I'm thinking about possibly one of the following:

1) Remove the CCM spacers, cut out an inch or so of rise, and re-weld. (pain in the ass)

2) Remove CCM spacers and replace with sparman-esque Ford leveling spacers and longer studs (slightly less pain in the ass)

3) Leave CCM parts intact and find springs that I can swap in that lower ride height by no more than an inch (if they exist- still a pain, maybe a bit stiffer/bouncier one)

What do you ladies and gents think? What route should I pursue first? Whatever way I go over the next few weeks, I'll keep y'all posted with results.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I thought about the same thing of cutting the front spacers down to 1.5 and making new ones for the rear or just taking the lift out all together as I just lost another inner CV boot. Sometime this summer I have to change out the tranny and will ether be removing the kit or doing the mods to it. I just wish the seller was a little nicer when calling him.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Is it only the AWD guys that are having the issues?

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Its only the front axles that are causing the problems so I would guess the FWD ones will have the same problems. Loaded up the E today and it started the wandering and vibration under acceleration again.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I really want to do a lift at some point and am very sorry to hear about your troubles with this kit. I had thought about paring this kit with lowering springs or even a coilover setup that could be tuned and softened but that would be the expensive route. What about using SC springs and struts? Don't they lower the E about an 1"?

I guess if CCM is not going to work with it's customers on development of a product then we should not buy from them. I will probably go the route of the Sparman lift to avoid the CCM company.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Maybe using the lower springs could work but you will loose suspension movement. I would rather just cut the plates. Maybe we all should call CCM and give them a piece.:evil:

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I am game!!! I would like to install a lift when I replace the shocks/struts on the E soon.

·
Registered
118 Posts
What is the different between the Sparman lift and the CCM lift? That's the part that I don't understand. I was under the impression that the CCM lift was based on the Sparman with only a few minor changes.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Is everyone having CCM problems? I was really considering buying that lift...

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had Never heard of anyone having this trouble...and I've spoken with 3 of them on the forums...? I was planning on this lift as well = Darn :x

Another route, if you replace the muffler with a higher, better quality, less vulnerable set, and replace the gas tank with a longer, less deep, and wider one, you get about 2" extra clearance WITHOUT the lift. The lowest part of the E are the axles, the front & back lowest points are 9.1" from the ground which is much better then the listed 6.9" + you don't have such vulnerable parts to high center. Problem is, I have not been able to find a replacement for the gas tank, but I've come close = I'm waiting on an estimate from a 4x4 shop, that is road legal (most shops are for racing, not DOT certified).

Now I have to go back to the other owners and ask them if their lift has caused any trouble...Sparman had it for about 2 years and was fine...

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Well this is what is happening with my CCM lift. This is the second inside boot that failed and the outside one on the other side is starting to fail. Its not really hard to change out the shafts but how many times...:-(

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Wow - is the boot simply cracking (seems like harder plastic then the old days), or is the CV shaft ruined & needing replacing as well?

How many miles are on your E?

You mentioned the front wandering / shaking under weight as well; this does not sound happy?

I sure hope the 4x4 shop gives me a reasonable option for replacing my fuel tank...I'll let you know when I find out.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Well the angle of attack is greater and the rubber bellows are touching on the bottom for the inner boot and so it wears out the rubber and then just tears and you can see the aftermath. Its not ruining the shafts unless I would just keep driving until it falls apart. The ones that I have rebuilt still looked new on the inside.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
AWD/FWD Theory

Guys,

I was thinking that although the boots are wearing out in both FWD and 4WD Elements, it's possible that only the 4WD Element owners are taking notice because they also experience the shaking under acceleration. I know that it's much worse with cargo or people in the back, because what's happening is doing such when the front suspension is unloaded. So, it stands to reason that our extra driveline components might add/shift our mass a bit rearward and intensify the effect, since there's a bit more back there...

·
Registered
84 Posts
I don't have this lift but had a thought as to why it may cause the shuddering. With drive shafts at such a steep angle when the e shifts its weight back while accelerating the axle angle becomes even greater. Maybe at this point the safts start to binde causing the front wheels to come out of sinc with rears to activate 4wd. I think it has more to do with the 4wd than anything else.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the ccm Lift. It is junk. to high. the angle of the axel is to great and the result is shuttering under acceleration. big bummer these kits should not be sold. if you buy one you will be sorry. You won't find anyone who will tell you different. Dont do it. the CCM guy is just taking money from you. I have not figured out a fix as of yet. I will most likely go with 1 inch lower springs. 2 inch lift should be fine.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I was thinking about 1.5 would be best and cut the front spacers in half and making new rears with longer bolts. Like you said there was really no engineering to it before selling the junk.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
CCM lift fix

Guys,

I have attempted lowering 1" via springs as well as installing a dampener to try and stop the shudder. No dice. I think at this point I'll be pulling the spacers out and either making new ones or cutting them down and re-machining.

Yes, I'm severely pissed over how shaky my Element has been the past few years. I would remove this all together if I hadn't misplaced my OEM front springs in a move.

If anyone is up for forming a group alliance to deal with CCM and the damage to our vehicles, I'd be happy to participate.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts