Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
October was quite a month: Itstarted with my wife getting hit from behind in her Pilot and ended on Saturday morning with me getting my E whacked at an intersection. For the first time, I actually caused an accident. Approaching an intersection just south of downtown Houston, I didn't see the traffic signal due to the sun's glare until I was right on top of entering the crossing lanes. I was standing on the brakes but the fellow driving rightfully in his right lane caught me on the driver corner. Ugly, ugly, morning.

The good news is I had already dropped my 7 year old off downtown so I was alone. Other direver and I were not hurt at all. His 97 Ford Ranger used its right front wheel as the main point of contact with my E. He was probably doing about 35 at the point of collision and it ended up being a glancing blow. Tore his wheel's suspension up and the fender and front bumper are gonners.

My E, well, one of those ugly looking results. I can't bring myself to even look at the pics I took yet. I drove her home but the hood was catching extra air and the wheels are a bit out of alignment...not to mention there's no telling where the left Front headlight would be shining to...so I got her to the local shop by Saturday afternoon. Still waiting on the estimates/adjuster.

Right now, just reminding myself no one was hurt and another 5 ft would have been a T-Bone. Life goes on...Will post some pics when I can bring myself to look at them. :-(

Focusing on the blessings...

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Ouch, like you said, at least no one was hurt.....pride maybe but nothing physical

good luck on the repairs and please do post pictures, it will remind others of what can happen

·
Registered
262 Posts
So sorry Bowser. I'm sure your E will eventually be as good as new. The split second scene of the ranger engaging the E must be vivid in you mind. I can still replay an accident I was in many, many years ago.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Good for you

While it's good to know that no one was injured in your accident, I can appreciate your owning up to being at fault. It seems that most people will always find a way to blame the other guy.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update on my injured E

Update:

Picked up the bEast Wednesday evening just before Thanksgiving. Looks like everything came back together well. Will be posting before and after pics for further proof that E's are indeed small tanks.

Thanks for the encouraging words all. I'm looking forward to putting this scenario behind me. Onward and upward...8)

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The morbid pics

As promised...the pics of ugliness...

- One guess each on the repair costs!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Morbidity #2

And a couple revealing what was going on underneath...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
That'll buff right out! Just duct tape the condenser and its good as new. ;-)

Looks like frame damage, I'd guess 3k?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Strange impact really as the majority of force was applied by the front wheel of other vehicle. The brunt of the energy was absorbed sideways by my front bumper strut and his collapsing front wheel suspension (kinda tore most of his suspension apart). Fender definitely moved over but seems to have straightened right back out (all seams are straight, no panel or door catching).
Replacement for mechanicals included radiator, condenser, and a new fuse box (it had a hairline crack on the support bracket which technically called for its replacement).
3k...that'll come in low on this one. My insurance certainly would have welcomed it.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
That'll buff right out! Just duct tape the condenser and its good as new. ;-)
What she said..............DUCT TAPE, a repairmans best friend - and, it matches your paint color, no need for a paint job

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just dropped her off for the re-alignment. Guys jumped all over it and should be picking me up this this evening.

I want to remind everyone to really look hard at the body shops you choose. My wife's car was bumped in the rear the first of October and it gave me a chance to gather 4 estimates ranging across "dealer" shops (which are always completely independent operations of the dealer side...take note!) and some independent shops. While pricing was the same for the most part, the way things were handled were very different.

For me E's substantial damage and being it is still early in its lifespan, I went with a local independent guy that had the latest tech stuff and a long relationship in doing maintenance on our vehicles. THey provided lifetime warranty on all work and went the extra mile a couple of different ways. This included obtaining more Honda branded parts for the replacements than would have normally been provided by the insurance (mal)adjuster by cutting a deal to price match with the local Honda parts guys. They even straightened out my Home Depot Grill Guard and re-installed it from the back.

The major dealers location shops gave me the creeps...felt way too much like a number to be lined up in their volume machine. Not saying I was right in avoiding them but I've had far less performance from these types of guys than what I am seeing with my current situation.

Right now, making sure she gets fully lined up just in case there is a lingering problem with it...making sure to ID it while there's an open ticket with the insurance folk.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alignment came back as already trued up. They then switched the front tires around and voila, no more pull or drift. Guess I am indeed ending the serviceable life of these Goodyears...not a bill I want during Christmas time.

At least I know the vehicle is still straight though!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts