Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I tried to find the info using the search bar, but no luck. I found some '03 alloy wheels for sale. They were mounted on a '03 Honda Element. They look in good shape and the price is great. My only concern is if it's wise to buy 20 years old wheels, especially since they probably went through many winters (where salt is used a lot on roads). Does anyone have an advice on buying these wheels? For reference, the asking is $200, tires included. I would mount them on a 2016 CR-V. Thanks!
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Light Black

·
Super Moderator
2004 SOP EX/AWD/MT
488 Posts
Don't the 16 CRVs come with 17" wheels?
Wheel offset appears to be the same, just not sure about the wheel size...

Element alloy wheels are over-built, so I wouldn't worry about their age.
If they hold air and aren't thrashed, $200 seems like a fair price...if they fit :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't the 16 CRVs come with 17" wheels?
You're right, but from what I've read, 16" also fit, that's why I widened my search to include both 17" and 16" wheels. (Obviously looks is not my priority although these wheels look nice to me). Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

·
Super Moderator
2004 SOP EX/AWD/MT
488 Posts
I just checked specs of CRV brake rotors, they have an outside diameter of 300mm.
The good news is, Stock Element Alloys are able to accommodate TSX front brake rotors...which are also 300mm.

·
Registered
2004 Fiji EX-AWD
432 Posts
well, being that nearly 70% of us have original rims on our E's, it all comes down to having a shop letting you know if there's a bend in the rim you can't see. Or see if the tire has been plugged. Since there are no wheel weights on that 4th rim, i'd start by checking that one first.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
yes have a tire shop spin them to see if they are straight and true.

The other issues I have encountered with older wheels are all the old bead sealant tire shops put on when installing tires.

Most of them never clean off the old stuff and it can cause leaks around the rim but this can be cleaned off with sand paper and you can get a good seal.

The other issues I find is if the paint and clearcoat gets old and then you get some corrosion or oxidation especially around where the old wheel weights were installed.

Also an old clearcoat can cause brake dust to be much harder to clean off the wheels. Compare to new wheels or newly refinished wheels and see how easy it is to just rinse off brake dust with a hose.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts