Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I’ve noticed that when on wet pavement or in snow that my front wheel drive, 4cyl. ’03 spins the tires fairly regularly/easily, also on occasion it’s happened on dry pavement when starting on an incline (at a stop sign etc. My first instinct was to blame the tires, however after swapping my front/rear tires (different brands, and slightly different amounts of wear) the issue remained. Even after putting on my snow tires this winter, which have TONNES of tread, the issue still remained…it was better, but still happened way more than I was comfortable with.

Also I have noticed that when I use a utility trailer the issue is worse again. I haven’t towed anything super heavy, but I have had to unhook the trailer at one point and use an ATV to get it up my gravel driveway.

So, does any suggestions on how to rectify this issue? Again, I’m not towing a tent trailer or landscaping materials, but 3 canoes on a trailer shouldn’t cause me to stop dead.

Thanks for any help you can offer

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried 2nd gear, it helps the symptom, but I'm trying to find the root issue.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Tried 2nd gear, it helps the symptom, but I'm trying to find the root issue.
It's not that the front end is "light." It's just that these cars have a good amount of torque in the low gears so it can get its fat self moving. Which is a good thing, it's nice that the car can get out of its own way if you need it to.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
I noticed the spin when I first got my 03, but with time it went away. Changing tires helped, but the biggest change was in my use of the gas peddle.
---------------------
The Honda automatic, when set to '2nd' stays in that gear. Other automatics often downshift. This makes 2nd useful for starting in snow, since it reduces torque and hence spin. However the OP has a manual. Starting in 2nd with that might not be such a good idea, at least not on dry pavement.

I believe 1st in the MT is geared lower than 1st on the AT. That could aggravate the initial spin problem.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I heard this argument come up once when I was younger and it stuck in my head - just have to append it on this thread...

"The root of the problem? Let me explain it like this, son. Trees have roots, right? Imagine that YOU are a tree. Look down... no, look further down. Do you see the part of you that touches the Earth? Those are your feet, son, but if you were a tree, those would be where the roots start. Now then... See the roots on the left side? Those are the roots of reason and goodness so we'll leave them alone. See the roots on the right side? THOSE are what we call the roots of the problem.

OK now, I'll tell you how we fix this. If the problem continues, some nice people who we'll refer to as bird watchers will stop you, make you get out of the car, and then they'll climb all over your branches and make you very unhappy. And if they don't see you, you might get caught in a terrible storm that breaks some of your branches, strips you of your fruits and nuts, and leaves you as nothing but a gnarled old stump and a hollow shell of what you might've been.

Of course, if that doesn't fix the root of this problem, we can always start pruning until the problem fixes itself."

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had the same issue the first few times at the boat ramp, chirping the tires to avoid an embarrassing stall with a critical audience. I was spoiled from having a truck with a granny gear for years before the E. If you ease up a little you'll find the element clutch is pretty forgiving of a low rpm start for a 4cyl. As for up hill on gravel with a trailer and fwd? You're just gonna spin 'em. At least you're not spraying gravel on the boats like rwd!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts