Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this problem a long time ago where lights on instrument cluster, climate control and shift indicators were all out. However it only happened once in a while, took it back to the dealer and of course they couldn't find any problems with it.

But now the problem is permanent, the light simply stays out. Took it back to the dealer today again, he claimed that my aftermarket stereo (Pioneer AVIC-D2 navigation and entertainment system) was the sole cause, therefore it is not covered under the warranty. He said he could spend a couple hours to go through all the wiring, but even after a couple hundred dollars of labor charges there's no guarantee he could fix it.

I know it's probably some connectors gotten loose behind the instrument panel and I plan to take it apart tomorrow. My question is what should I look for and what sort of equipment do I need? Also if someone could provide some tip or maybe lead into this problem, I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
13 Posts
The first thing I would do is pull the radio and see if the illumination or dimmer wire is hooked to it. If you or the shop that installed the radio used a harness adaptor, it will be easy to find the wire (they are usually orange or orange with a white stripe on a Metra harness).

If it is not connected, then you know the dealer is laying blame on the wrong item.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
First, let me say it's fairly easy to troubleshoot the unmodified electrical system and we can help you there. But, keep in mind, we have no idea what has been changed (if anything) with the install.

That said, I need to ask, do the parking lights work OK?

·
Registered
5 Posts
lights out!

I am new on the board and I am having the same problem with the climate control lights after I installed an Eclipse DVD NAV system. Did anyone figure out the solution? I have to tap the lights to get them to go on but this doesn't always work. You guys are great! I'll let you know if I find anything.

·
Registered
113 Posts
yeah I am having the same issue. I searched on this forum, people suggested to replace the bulbs but I opened my HVAC controller and the bulbs seems to be ok so I might have to replace the whole thing. I might wait though because it costs $210 for the whole thing. Someone on Ebay tried to sell it for $100 used but I am not sure I want to go that route. It might be that person has the same issue :D

290 Posts
I have to tap the lights to get them to go on but this doesn't always work.
I opened my HVAC controller and the bulbs seems to be ok
Guys, this is a well documented issue. Many, many treads. Let the search tool be your friend. Welcome the search tool into your life.

Buy some #8640 and #7219 bulbs. Tools needed: small & medium jeweler's screw sticks. Less than five minutes to fix!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guys, this is a well documented issue. Many, many treads. Let the search tool be your friend. Welcome the search tool into your life.

Buy some #8640 and #7219 bulbs. Tools needed: small & medium jeweler's screw sticks. Less than five minutes to fix!
Thanks Nighthawk, do you suggest for my case it's the bulbs problem? I personally thought it might be some wires got loosen when i went through some bumps, or probably the wire had a bad connection/contact somewhere. My shift indicator, climate control and instrument clusters lights are all out, but I'll try to get some bulb replacement anyways to see if it fixes the problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
CoolDW57,
In my case I noticed that after I installed the double-din nav system (and I jammed a lot of cables back behind the dash), I started having problems with the lights. So I think something got loose since the climate panel is right below the car stereo. Sounds like your problem is similar (loose bulb or connection).

290 Posts
OK. To everyone: The incandescent lamps in the E are very fragile. All Hondas for that matter; don't know why. If any part of the dash is disturbed, the tiny filaments in the tiny bulbs break. That's why the tapping trick works for many of us. I know because this happened to me. Every time I sneezed, another dark bulb.
All of the plugs and receptacles are locked together. There is no chance that a connector could vibrate apart, except if it was never locked in the first place. The pins and sockets themselves are double locked in the plugs and receptacles. I'm fairly certain that the pins and sockets won't mate until the plug is locked to the receptacle. That being the case, there would be many more intermittent or dead circuits, if a connector were "loose".

I've had this problem a long time ago where lights on instrument cluster, climate control and shift indicators were all out. However it only happened once in a while
shift indicators? Do you mean on the center pod, next to the shift, or the PRND12 in the main cluster next to the fuel gauge? happened once in a while? So, you had instrument lights after the Pioneer install?

I believe that you just need working (new) bulbs.

do the parking lights work OK?
bh241 made a great observation and asked a question that went ignored. He is defiantly on the right track. If fact, I ignored your post, coold57, until bh241's observation.

I am having the same problem with the climate control lights after I installed an Eclipse DVD NAV system. I have to tap the lights to get them to go on but this doesn't always work.
See what I mean.

the bulbs are probably loose.
Not a chance. Can't happen.

after I installed the double-din nav system, I started having problems with the lights.
More proof.

I think something got loose
I think the fimaments in your bulbs are loose.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but i just got my '06 Element and my HVAC control lights are out (just the incandescents actually). I know i can get the genuine replacement parts (79629S3VA01 and 79629-SCV-A01) but they are really expensive for what they are. I know many people have stated that 8640 and 7219 bulbs (like this: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/PACK-7219-Volts-0-72-Light/dp/B00OQIPZ8E/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426590674&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=7219+micro+lamp[/ame]) work just as well. I was wondering if i purchase these and reuse the existing sockets from the bad bulbs is any soldering required? My assumption is that i simply remove the bad bulb from the socket, slide in the new bulb, and drop them back in the HVAC control assembly. Any help would be appreciated.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts