Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any body else notice this:

When at an intersection waiting to turn left, if I pull out into the intersection to wait for my green arrow, I have to lean forward and to see the traffic light.

Not a huge deal but in my previous vehicles, this was never an issue. Might be a problem in Land Rovers and other boxy vehicles with almost verticle windshields too, don't know.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
yeah i notice if i pull too far ahead i can not see the signal well.. i am working on adapted that stop length so i can see it better, I can live with it.. cause the glare is sooo minimal with that design!

·
Registered
608 Posts
It is just like an van or other vehicle that has a short hood on it. My old trooper was similar, I had to learn where to stop with it. Remember there are some disadvantages to being so far back from the front bumper, as well as some advantages.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
the "disadvantages" are nothing.. and the advantages are awesome!!

Just how the glare difference alone is more than enough of a joy!!!

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
yup the column should be angled to your chest.. there must be someway to work around this.. that is insane.. what are you like 6'5" or more?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeah, I've had the same problem with the location of the steering wheel. I'm almost 6'4", so for me to put the steeling column/wheel at an angle that is most comfortable to use, the airbag would probably whap me in the face if it deployed. If I point it more towards my chest, then the top 1/3 of the instrument panel is obscured by the steering wheel. So I'm not sure what's the best option here.....

On the other issue, I'm used to having to lean down to see traffic lights unless I stop my vehicle a bit farther back from the white line at intersections. So no big deal there....yup, the joys that come with being taller (and we won't even talk about the fun of buying pants or shirts!)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Guys, I'm not as tall as you 6' but, I do have a long torso. I noticed the instrument viewing problem when test driving the E but, I had to have the car.
Don't know if this will help you but, I found a workaround for not being able to see the top 1/3 of the speedometer. I line use the KMPH to determine my approximate speed in MPH (i.e. 55mph = 80+kmph, 60mph < 100kmph, etc). It's not the ideal solution but, it works.

If anyone has a better solution, I'm all EYES.

·
Registered
6 Posts
and still have the problem of not seeing the overhead lights, I live in a City Hoboken NJ and I am always too close to the intersection to see the lights. In my Trailblazer I could always look through the sunroof. However the Element sunroof is too far back.

I just love the car but this issue is surprisingly a real headache (or neck ache as the case may be)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Yeah, I noticed that also... I was used to a Saturn coupe... really low to the ground with a flatter windshield. Now I have to stop further back from the intersection to see the light. Not a big deal, unless I accidentally pull too far up. :)

·
Premium Member
2003 2WD MT GG, 55K as of 3/20(!), It’s a Fun Box
273 Posts
One upon a time.....I had a 1980 Honda Accord that also had a fairly upright window and also blocked high stop lights. I still miss that little car. While the E also has the same problem, I fortunately live in San Francisco where they still have a streetlight mounted lower at the corner most of the time so I can see that. I've only had troubles with the overhead lights a couple of times so far (but have only had my E for about 2 weeks.)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Still waiting on my E to be delivered, but I noticed during my test drives that I could compromise the steering wheel position/visibility by setting the steering wheel to where it was comfortable, and then reclining the seat down and back until the speedo was visible.
Still does not solve the traffic light view if you pull too far forward...

:idea:

·
Registered
176 Posts
[quote:4e4e539a19="HobokenFrank"]In my Trailblazer I could always look through the sunroof. However the Element sunroof is too far back.[/quote:4e4e539a19]

i LOL'd just thinking of someone saying that about the element with a straight face. understatement of the millenium :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts