Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 451 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
I thought there should be a thread that we use to track the different types of speakers that fit in the Element door openings.

Please add your speakers to the list if they're not already here and be sure to include any info you might be willing to share with others like:
  • install time
    install notes
    before/after photos
    sound quality comments
    price/shipping/store
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I have recently installed Infinity 505 cs components in the front doors, I had to cut the plastic cups in the doors to accomidate for the magnet and then installed them with XTC baffles. There are some strict measurement concerns for the front speakers because of the shallow speaker grill and the window glass to worry about as well. As for the back i went with Polk GXR5's and all and all they sound great at least tonight they did because I just replaced the head unit and I am pretty excited by the big difference over the stock one. From what I have been seeing as well on this board are people installing 6 1/2 Infinity 652i's as well and with no problems. I would have put 6 1/2's in but I relied on Cruchfeilds advice on this and I was not to familiar with this board at the time.

Infinity 505 cs components $115.00 from Cruchfield, closeout speacial

Polk GXR5 also Cruchfield $49.00 closeout speacial.

Dont let the price fool you, much better than Pioneer, Sparkamatic or Kraco and the price was very right at the time especially if you are looking to upgrade the the speakers "only" on the EX system and these are 91-92 db which is reqired for the low power that this system puts out.

·
Registered
957 Posts
branaman said:
IF U HEAR THAT 5.25" SPEAKERS WORK FOR FRONT DOORS DONT DO IT. 6.5'S ALL THE WAY AROUND 8)
So let me revise this a little bit - you don't have to use 5.25" speakers because most (not all) 6.5" speakers will fit - so there's not many good reasons to use the smaller speakers.

Also, let's stay on topic here - this thread is for tracking the specific types of speakers that do fit/work in the E. As such, it is important not to generalize. I envision this thread as being a reference speaker model archive of sorts, a place where a person can come and check to see if the speakers they would like to buy have been successfully installed by someone already.

Branaman, since it sounds like you have installed 6.5 speakers in your E please share the specifcs with us. :D

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have the basic Infinity's 652i in the rear....very simple job as I was done in about 20 minutes for both. Looking at Focal Slim Line componets for the front because of the depth problems the fron have......also looking at Polk 3565 componets for the front too, though I will keep my options open and still maybe even go with Infin 652i in front also but replace the tweeters with a JBL of Infinity models.....there has been much talk that the tweeters need replacing bad and this mod is one of the best for the buck. Other thoughts?

EE

·
Registered
957 Posts
Eazy E said:
Looking at Focal Slim Line componets for the front because of the depth problems the front have
You don't need the Focal slim lines - the regular 165K's fit nicely.

I have the Focal 165K's in my E. They fit and sound great.

I removed the plastic speaker backing cup in the door however and used a new foam baffle to seal off the speaker from the door cavity.

Check it out here:
http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1488

·
Registered
89 Posts
[quote:a69a667f4d="eMass"][quote:a69a667f4d="Eazy E"]Looking at Focal Slim Line componets for the front because of the depth problems the front have[/quote:a69a667f4d]

You don't need the Focal slim lines - the regular 165K's fit nicely.

I have the Focal 165K's in my E. They fit and sound great.

I removed the plastic speaker backing cup in the door however and used a new foam baffle to seal off the speaker from the door cavity.

Check it out here:
http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1488[/quote:a69a667f4d]

Emass, what would one pay for either your set up and or the slim line set up......talking just the mid range, tweeters, and crossovers that is. Thanks EE

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Focal 165 V Slims are about $240 street

Focal 165 K (what I have) are about $260 street

Focal 165 K2 (note slightly different dustcap & bigger magnet) are about $330 street

Please note that the 165 K2's have a bigger magnet and therefore may pose slight depth problems. Please compare size specs to 165 K's before using.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[quote:d0def0ef30="Eazy E"]E Mass, find me some Slims for $240 and I will buy ASAP....Thanks EE[/quote:d0def0ef30]

Seek and ye shall find, my friend... :D

http://www.cbrstereo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=FOCALCOMPONENTS

There's a set of 165 V Slims on that page for $239.00 although I'd really recommend the 165 K's for $259.00 if you can swing it.

You can also find a ton of Focal stuff on eBay - in fact the slims are selling for $229.00 there...

http://search.ebay.com/search/searc...ty=MetaEndSort&BasicSearch=&from=R2&catref=C3

Rock on!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I installed Polk Audio GXR6A 6-1/2" speakers with minimal hassle.

I was able to remove all the cover plates with just my fingers. I had to cut off the three plastic posts that align the factory speakers on the front doors -- there were no posts on the rear doors. The new speakers lined up with some smaller, extra holes already in place and I used the black screws provided by Polk (one hole was absent on the driver's side front).

I picked these because they were on sale from Crutchfield at $49/pr (which fit my budget). I couldn't get the website to add the free wiring harnesses until I changed my vehicle type to the S2000 and then it went no problem.

The sound is pretty decent although I am not very happy with the factory sub. It's about as musical as a lightswitch. I'm not sure my audio tastes need a dedicated sub so when I get around to replacing the head unit I may just skip it.

Regards,
Jim

·
Registered
957 Posts
I'm adding some info from nickoel that was originally added as a separate post.

nickoel said:
I installed 4 Alpine 6 1/2 speakers last week. They are the SPS-170A model and they sound great.

Only one thing and this goes for many aftermarket speakers. Mine kept cutting in and out and when I took the back ones out I noticed the the + and - plugs were hitting the exposed metal in the back speaker cutouts. I fixed this by using liquid electrical tape to cover them up and the last three days have been pure bliss.

Just letting you all know the Alpines fit and about the shorting out issue.

see ya.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Just ditched the reference 5 1/4 505cs components for the higher line Kappa 6 1/2" 60.5 cs components and they fit just fine. I just had to cut the rest of the rain gaurd out where it meets the door inorder to get them to fit properly. So far they don't sound any better than the reference set only because I really need an amp and the 13 watts rms that my Eclipse 8443 just does not cut it so I am playing them at a low volume so I wont kill them (remembering a post from EMass on this topic). So now I'm in the market for an amp that will fit under the seat and I need to do it quick. Here is a link of pics and the one with the kappa woofer is there as well as other interesting pics.

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/shnsx/lst?.dir=/My+Photos/Shane's+Element+EX&.view=t

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Here are some pics of the speakers I've installed in the past month. In the front I put in a set of Infinity 60.5cs Kappa components for the back I installed Focal 165CA coaxials. Both sets are 6 1/2 and I had to trom the speaker mounting area with a roto saw to get them to fit and used Cruchfeild baffles behind them.

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sh...X&.dnm=Infinity+Kappa+60.5+Woofer.jpg&.view=t

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sh...y+Photos/Shane%27s+Element+EX&.src=ph&.view=t

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sh...y+Photos/Shane%27s+Element+EX&.src=ph&.view=t

1 - 20 of 451 Posts