Honda Element Owners Club banner

421 - 439 of 439 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hey Scoupe, how did you cross those over?
Fair question as I installed those sweet little tweeters into an LX that had no wiring to the location. I sent the main speaker output power FL and FR to a set of Infinity cross-overs left over from some long gone project. Very easy to send the power to the respective speakers with HI/LO outputs. LO ouput soldered back into the factory wiring. Tucked crossovers and new tweeter wiring under the dash and used zip ties to secure. Ran the new tweeter wires up to the pillar. My head unit is nothing special, a JVC JVC KW-R910BT.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Nice post. Layman question. I have never been in there. Are the connections the same and it's switchable, or?
lol, from another "layman".... As I did this in my LX, not an EX, I don't know what the connections to the EX oem tweeters look like. Most likely you'd have a choice to clip off the connection and solder to the tweeter or use the easily sourced Metra 72-7800 Speaker Wire Adapters. I used just a touch of solder to secure the input wires to the tabs on the tweeter (marked +/-). I dk what you meant by "switchable".

Edit: See Lule's reply that the tweeters use a plug. So you'd use the Metra plug adapter or cut and solder as mentioned...

·
Registered
115 Posts
I don't know much about audio but I need to look into my stock front speakers that seemed to have bursted when recently cranking a DVD too high.
I explain, my Clarion VX404E DVD player somehow has a very low volume on the DVD (unlike listening to CDs, MP3s or the radio) so with highway noise, my kids crank the volume to max to be able to hear movie dialog. But then, if there is a sudden action/loud noise/monster or alien attacking .... it becomes really loud, so much so that since last weekend's trip I hear some buzzing/vibrating on the front left and right speakers when listening to CDs/MP3s (with some good amount of bass especially...).

Fading to the rear speakers only, I don't hear buzzing anymore. Fading out the sub-woofer only I can still hear buzzing.

I removed the woofer grill from the door panel, but I can still hear buzzing.

The woofers look good, no physical damage that I can see from the outside.

Do you know of a way of knowing/testing that they are dead (and basically didn't stand those sudden noise increase?)

Thanks.

Vince.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Ok, my bad, looking closer, they are ripped ...
Started hunting for replacements that would fit without much drilling and cutting panels, but that it doesn't sound that easy with EU models ....

Thanks,

Vince

·
Registered
23 Posts
Pioneer TS-G1645R Speakers - super easy!

Just wanted to thank people for the recommendation. I found a 4 pack of these speakers on Amazon for under $60, and then I got the Metra 72-7800 wiring harness (2 packs= 4 harnesses for $12 total).

The full replacement job took about 25 minutes. Simple steps:
1. Pop off the plastic speaker covers in the front and back doors (you can do this with a flat-head screwdriver, just going along the edge of it slowly)
2. Unscrew the existing speakers with the 3 screws you'll see very obviously
3. Unplug the wire connector behind each of these speakers (just squeeze on both sides of the clip and remove)
4. Attach Metra wiring harness to the back of each speaker (super easy - it'll make sense when you see it)
5. Attach wiring harness into Element plug in each speaker hole
5a. Test the radio to make sure the plug worked
6. Screw Pioneer speakers into the three holes that are already there in the Element (these are NOT the same holes that the other speakers used, but if you look closely, you will see them already drilled into the plastic, so no need to drill, get a separate adapter or anything)
7. Pop speaker covers back on (note - you do not use the Pioneer speaker grill/covers. Use the existing Element covers, and that's all you need.)​

Like I said, these speakers fit perfectly. With the Metra adapters, you don't need to splice into your speaker wiring at all. With the Pioneer speakers, you have the same 3 screw pattern, so you don't need to drill anything new or get any new screws.

The quality of the speakers is basically "good enough." They obviously don't compare to any high end speakers like the Bose ones or anything like that. But my old speakers were buzzing and really worn out, so this is a HUGE, HUGE improvement! I would say the sound is now very clean and crisp, though not as full of a sound as you would get with much more expensive speakers.

That being said, for $72 total, I'm super happy with the sound and the ease of installation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello all,
First post and let me start by saying I greatly appreciate the information this forum has already provided me.
I installed kenwood speakers all around with a 6.5 skar subwoofer that fits like stock. Also upgrade to a Kenwood Mini Amplifier. Im not winning any competitions but the sound is very crispy and clean.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts

Just wanted to thank people for the recommendation. I found a 4 pack of these speakers on Amazon for under $60, and then I got the Metra 72-7800 wiring harness (2 packs= 4 harnesses for $12 total).
. . .
The quality of the speakers is basically "good enough." They obviously don't compare to any high end speakers like the Bose ones or anything like that. But my old speakers were buzzing and really worn out, so this is a HUGE, HUGE improvement! I would say the sound is now very clean and crisp, though not as full of a sound as you would get with much more expensive speakers.

That being said, for $72 total, I'm super happy with the sound and the ease of installation.
I'm also grateful for this thread and for this review in particular. I'm not an audiophile who will spend big bucks in pursuit of ear bleeding levels of ultra fidelity. I'm willing to pay for repairs or replacement of failed parts with ones that work adequately. I just want to listen to the radio without straining to understand what's being said or music without gross distortion.

I've been annoyed by this used 2008 EX sound system since I replaced 2004 EX, which sounded noticeably better. But I don't drive much, so improving the sound was on my punch list, but low priority until a recent road trip. Music that sounded great through my new cheap bedroom TV system was weak and muddy in the Element while in my driveway. Forty year old 5-1/4" commercial background music and paging speakers in metal boxes driven by a $20 Tepy TP2020A amp sounded better, much better.

I was ready to blame the crappy sound on the head end, but my experience with the TV made me consider that the Elements 10 year old speakers might have deteriorated and not be up to the job, as the new TVs internal speakers weren't.

Based on this review, I web searched for the part number. I was able to find these speakers for $26.26/pair on Amazon. Including the Metra harnesses, so it would cost me less than $31 to order replacements for the front ankle knockers. That's cheap enough to be worth trying.

It will be interesting to hear how much of an improvement over 10 year old OEM they make.

If it's noticeable, but insufficient, then after replacing the front rotors, I'll consider replacing the tweeters, then the rear ankle-knockers that only my 13 year old dog hears, before thinking about a different head end with new functionality I can use, like a backup camera screen and a USB input to replace the obsolete CD player and useless XM radio.

·
Registered
36 Posts

1. Pop off the plastic speaker covers in the front and back doors (you can do this with a flat-head screwdriver, just going along the edge of it slowly)
3. Unplug the wire connector behind each of these speakers (just squeeze on both sides of the clip and remove)
4. Attach Metra wiring harness to the back of each speaker (super easy - it'll make sense when you see it)
6. Screw Pioneer speakers into the three holes that are already there in the Element (these are NOT the same holes that the other speakers used, but if you look closely, you will see them already drilled into the plastic, so no need to drill, get a separate adapter or anything)
7. Pop speaker covers back on (note - you do not use the Pioneer speaker grill/covers. Use the existing Element covers, and that's all you need.)​

Like I said, these speakers fit perfectly. With the Metra adapters, you don't need to splice into your speaker wiring at all. With the Pioneer speakers, you have the same 3 screw pattern, so you don't need to drill anything new or get any new screws.

Thanks for this post. It seriously took out the anxiety of replacing the speaker. My stock 2004 speakers finally went out after 14 years of door closes. These speakers are a bit more tinny and less warm than the original alpine speakers, but installed easily enough. Also they sound a bit under powered by comparison to OEM, so I compensated by adjusting FAD +1 or +2 forward, which balances it out with a SUB +1 to bring the warms back. It is a bargain at $35 for two Pioneer speakers with installation harness versus $53+ for one Honda OEM!

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is all so confusing.You can then listen to them in an audio board to get a feel for what they might sound like vs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Boss CH6530 In Front Doors

The rear speakers in my EX rattle something awful, but upon inspection, all four door speakers had rotting foam surrounds. I drive far less than 100 miles a week, and won't spend a lot for such a small listening space. These speakers provide 100-18,000 Hz, so don't provide a lot of bass; they are 3-way speakers, and do produce crisp highs. Keep in mind that speakers can take up to 100 hours to be fully "broken in", which might result in better sound, and the difference could also be minimal.

These speakers arrived with speaker wire so thin, it's not worth saving. Unfortunately I was not aware of the Honda speaker clips. I started with the passenger door, and cut the clip off the cable inside the door. I made an adapter to fit the speaker and a telegraph splice onto the Honda speaker wire. There are multiple mounting holes on these speakers, but no 3 holes aligned with where the OEM speaker mounted. I placed the OEM speaker front onto the Boss speaker front, aligned two holes, and zip tied them together. I then drilled a hole into the metal frame of the Boss using the Honda speaker's frame as a guide. This worked well, and was only a minor inconvenience.

When I removed the driver's side speaker grille, I was unhappy to find that 4 wires were attached to the speaker clip. I managed to drill out the rivet attaching the speaker clip from one of the Honda speakers, clipped the attaching wires, and cobbled together an adapter that I soldered onto the 2nd Boss speaker. Both speakers fit snugly, with no issues, and sound good.

I later found a pair of speaker adapters on Amazon for less than five bucks, and ordered several pairs. I've also ordered a pair of JVC CS-J620 6.5" two-way speakers for the rear, which offer better specs at 35-22,000 Hz, and I will follow-up on how well they fit. Both the Boss and JVC speakers were around $22 per pair from Amazon.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Another satisfied (thrifty) customer...

This one... this one right here...
Thank you ToastyRiko and to all the other members that we have followed...
This was PAINLESS...

I did slightly different part number for the speakers through Spamazon:
$55 -- 4 x Pioneer TS-G1620F 6.5-inch 2-Way Car Audio coaxial Speakers 6-1/2"
$9 -- (2) Pair of Metra 72-7800 Speaker Wire Adapters for Select Honda Vehicles - 4 Total Adapters

Good enough for me, I'm no audiophile...
This fixed broken (horrible rattling) speaker; I couldn't be happier!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanx for that info. As I am upgrading all 7 speakers i wasnt sure what to do for front/tweeters, cause I couldnt find out if factory amp had separate output for tweeters.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I did slightly different part number for the speakers through Spamazon:
$55 -- 4 x Pioneer TS-G1620F 6.5-inch 2-Way Car Audio coaxial Speakers 6-1/2"
$9 -- (2) Pair of Metra 72-7800 Speaker Wire Adapters for Select Honda Vehicles - 4 Total Adapters

Good enough for me, I'm no audiophile...
I did this too, and found the install basically painless -- love those Metra adapters! -- but immediately after finishing this installation, the Polk Audio DB+ 652s I really wanted turned up factory-refurbed for half price. (Isn't that always the way?) I replaced them, and would like to note that the Polk Audio DB+ 652s are also a painless install, and sound amazing to boot.

They have a very thick mounting rim with 6.75" "prongs" sticking out, that looks as if it won't fit the space allotted for speakers under the grill, but they fit beautifully, as long as you take care to line up the protruding bit with the terminals with the cut-outs in the backing cups of the door plastic. They mount to the smaller trio of drilled holes beautifully, just like the prior G1620Fs did, and I can confirm that no cutting of the backing cup, nor drilling of new holes, proved necessary, and the grills snapped back into place comfortably without any trimming of the foam.

I'm presently running a Kenwood DDX9906XR head unit with the factory amp and subwoofer from my '08 SC (the seven-speaker version), with front and rear doors upgraded with Polk Audio DB+ 652s. Loving the sound; the clarity is amazing, and for roughly $50/pair for those factory-refurb DB+ 652s, I feel like I got amazing value for the upgrade buck. Cannot recommend those DB+ 652s enough for fellow Element owners, they were painless and sound amazing!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I realize I've left off a key piece of information that might prove quite helpful here -- that being that the largest speakers I've installed with regard to depth, the DB+ 652s, require a 1 13/16" depth clearance for top mounting, and didn't require any cutting of the cup in either the front or rear doors. I'm not sure how deep one can go into the door before the backing cup becomes a problem, but I can attest that 1 13/16" wasn't a problem!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Wanted to add my experience installing the Polk DB+ 652s into my 2007 Honda Element EX (front/back).

Overall I'm pleased with how easy it was to install the DB+ 652s. While the speaker posts made the install a very tight fit, I don't anticipate any problems with the connectors. The foam surround on my factory speakers (145k+ miles) were practically crumbling and came apart when I took them out. Biggest difference I'm noticing are that higher bass notes (bass guitar,etc) are much stronger after the install, and overall sound is clearer. BTW I got a 4-pack of new 652s for $129 and a 4-pack of Metra connectors for $10 on Amazon. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade!

My observations during install:

• Regardless of speaker you WILL need to saw/cut/snip off the plastic nubs that helped hold the factory speaker in place. It was really easy using a flush cutting saw blade.
  • The DB+ 652s DO fit without any modification. However, note the factory speaker plug terminal is closer to the center of the speaker's magnet and points backward (into the cup gap), while the DB+ 652 connector posts are closer to the speaker rim and angle out. Adding on the Metra 72-7800 wiring adapters (the quick-slide connectors) will cause the posts+connectors to hit the side of the cup, which may make install finicky. Replacing the Metra quick-slide connectors with right angle "flag" quick-slides might solve this, but I didn't have any on-hand.
  • I overcame the above issue by bending the connector posts inward. This minimized the amount the posts stuck out and help the speakers slide in.
  • In every case the "correct" mounting solution was with the speaker's connector posts pointed downward into the triangular cup gap. Speaker holes aligned to the smaller holes in the Element every time this way.
  • I used #8 x 1in Pan-Head sheet metal screws to secure the speakers to the vehicle (they screw into the plastic). They were the perfect size to bite into the mounting area without the screw head protruding onto the speaker surround.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Found them!! Walmart of all the places has a great replacement speaker. The Scosche 6.5 HD series works perfect. No cutting or trimming or blah blah blah. Drop em in and they sound fat for $30 a pair!!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had some rattle coming from the door, well popped off the grille to see this!

I just ordered two pair of the Pioneer TS-G1645R speakers with wiring connectors for just over $50 on Amazon I can’t wait to put them in!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just replaced my blown/torn paper OEM speakers with a full set of JVC CS-J620 from
https://www.amazon.com/JVC-CS-J620-2-Way-Coaxial-Speakers/dp/B00OO1ENP4

The speakers fit perfectly. Did not need to cut out the back cup. At $18/pair plus the adapter cables, I was out ~$50 and definitely worth it.

I did have to drill into the plastic, but its pretty solid. I mean its not like I'm trying to win some SPL audio contests with these. I will say they are refreshing and leaps and bounds better than the stock stuff. I can easily do 1/2-3/4 volume and it still very clear. Treble is much clearer and doesn't sound muffled like the OEMs did. Decent bass to match the factory sub. I need to see if the factory sub needs replacing but it seems to be fine.

Would post pics if desired. I may try and 3d print some adapter brackets to utilize the 3 original mounting holes. I did take the opportunity to install sound dampening tiles (dynamat like) material in the front doors.

At this point debating if I should bother to replace the headunit and install a rear view camera. It is currently plenty acceptable sound-wise to me.

421 - 439 of 439 Posts